Heeelllpp!

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 9
BeadingBeth Crying [:'(] wrote
on Dec 11, 2011 9:15 AM

I am at the cabin, and making a pair of earrings as a Christmas present.  I have crystal dangles, but the jump rings I have look too big.  I have smaller split rings, but I can't get the glass dangle on them.  The end of the dangle is pretty small, and I am afraid of breaking it off is I push too hard.  I tried making a small jump ring out of some siver wire, but it is too soft.  Using a head pin doesn't work because of the way the holes go left to right and I need it to hang so you see the front.  The only craft store around is Walmart, lol, and I will resort to that, but there is no guarantee they will have smaller silver jump rings, either-

Any helpful suggestions out there?????  

Not Ranked
Posts 9
BeadingBeth wrote
on Dec 11, 2011 9:48 AM

ok, lol, I sat and sat, and here's what I did.  The small pendants are long and narrow, faceted and pink.  I tried filling up the space of the larger jump ring with silver metal beads just strung on the ring, but one on each side made the pendant look like a long nose, and two on each side looked funny.  Next I tried a small silver spacer on each side, and by golly, good enough!  Took up just enough room visually to make the larger ring work.  Since these are for a 5 year old to give to his momma, lol, they are now perfect!  Sorry I did not bring the camera to post a picture~

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,273
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Dec 11, 2011 10:51 AM

here is my suggestion. You said you tried to make a jump ring with wire, so I know you have wire. Have you tried to make a wire bail for the crystal. You said the hole goes from side to side, That is an easy way to make a bail.

put your wire through the hole, I would maybe start with  4 or 5 inches of wire. now bring both sides of the wire to the center top of the crystal, make the wires cross. Now where the wires cross, using your chain nose pliers, bend on wire end to go straight up. take the other end of the wire and bend it to be 90 degrees of the first wire going up. now holding the wire that goes up, wrap the other wire around it 2 or 3 times, all awhile keeping it at a 90 degrees, cut the excess of just this wire end. Now go to the first wire that is straight up and put you chain nose pliers next to the wrapping you just did and make a 90 degree bend this this wire. Taking your round nose pliers and laying it against the bend, bring the wire up and over the pliers, you will have to turn your pliers so that you can come all the way around making a circle. When you have the wire at 90 degrees, take your circle in your pliers and with your other hand wrap the wire around itself till it touches the wrap on the bottom.  cut the excess wire, add your ear wires and you have make some lovely earrings.

I hope I have made this understandable.

Happy Beading

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
BeadingBeth wrote
on Dec 11, 2011 4:55 PM

Sue,

I did try what you said, before I posted.  I had a heack of a time making the wraps look eaven top and bottom, so didn't like the bail.  Next time i will follow your directions and see if I can try harder and get it to work!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 565
Beadiecat wrote
on Dec 12, 2011 9:01 PM

Good instructions Sue!  I'm going to save them for the next time I need a simple bail.

Beth, I know you've finished your project, but one other thing you could have tried was making a jump ring out of the wire from one of the headpins, if your other wire was too soft.  Just thought I'd throw that out there for next time, lol.  I'm glad you found something that worked!  That 5-year-old's mother is going to be very happy.

Cat

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS