Bead Storage Solutions (1)

This post has 57 Replies | 6 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 274
Paka wrote
on Jan 8, 2012 4:54 PM

Looks good, Kip.  Weight does matter!  I use pencil cases for my tubes, plastic drawer thingies for the boxes, flip-top boxes for the smaller quantities.  As for the latter, I just today ordered the plastic storage boxes to hold the flop-tops from Fusion Beads (thanks, Vimala).  I chose Fusion because of--you guessed it--free shipping!  Wink  I guess I'll use the photo storage boxes for, well, photos.  Goodness knows we have plenty of those around.

I'm working on the January earring challenge (am, of course, behind) and enjoying the heck out of returning to actual beading.  I am seeing that the reorganization that I have done so far has already been a big help for design and execution, but I still have quite a ways to go.  I gave DH a copy of Organizing from the Inside Out for Christmas.  He ignored everything else to start thumbing through the book.  Maybe more than my studio could get organized?  Oooooo . . .

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Jan 8, 2012 5:48 PM

Paka, let me know what you & DH think of the book.  I might dig out my copy. Hmm

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 780
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jan 8, 2012 6:34 PM

That's great Paka! I'm glad you found them at a good price and with free shipping!

For some reason, every time I go "window shopping" online, I always keep my eyes open for things that I know others are looking for...so I have to share that info when I find it! I am constantly comparing prices and sales etc!

And Liz those refrigerator containers look awesome! I sometimes use my industrial half size sheet pans for organizing a big project...like when I pull a bunch of beads to choose my colors etc. These pans have a 1" edging around them and work great for this...plus they are stackable. But they are definitely heavier than those containers you found as they are made out of metal! And when they are piled with all my stuff they cannot be carried with one hand that's for sure!

One day I would love to get a speed rack like you use in a restaurant or catering kitchen...this would be awesome to store lots of these trays! And it's on wheels and can be rolled around. It would be very useful in a craft/beading room...But that's a dream for the distant future!

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Cassandra715 wrote
on Jan 8, 2012 7:06 PM

Ok! I think you guys will be mortified when you hear my organisational story. 

I have been beading since I was 7, I am now 19 and have just started up my own jewelry business. 

At the moment I live in a three bedroom house with my 5 other family members. (we had to move into my grandparents) so I don't have my own beading room never the less a space to put my beads. I also stay at my boyfriends for a week at a time then come home for a few days. This gets quite annoying when it comes to my beads as I take most of them with me. Because of this most of my beads live in the cheapy divided storage containers that beetle mentioned... the ones bad for spills *shakes head*. The seed beads are also in these, and they all live in a giant gym back along with my tools. I take this to my bf's every time i go there and it almost breaks my shoulder lifting it. I also have 2 30L craft tubs that go with me that carry other beads that will not fit into the gym bag. (I take this many beads as I usually make about 20-25 pieces while I'm staying there. He lives in a one room bedsit, so my beads litter the floor >.< and I usually bead on the bed. The rest of my beads and equipment stay home in a little baby's wardrobe that has a big space in it for stacking jars and containers for extra storage as well as 3 drawers that are good for putting the cheapy divided containers with out their lids on so you only pull out the drawer and have a look at them. I also plan on putting some hooks on the doors to hang bags of lampwork beads to easily see them. This lives on the back veranda along with a 90L tub of even MORE beads and 3 racks of my beading magazines and books. I then have 3 30L tubs of extra beading equipment (baggies, material etc) in the bottom of my wardrobe. 

Lets just say i'm the least organised person and half the time due to my inorganisation I fail to put my extra beads away. I have had discussions to my bf about finding a house together and when we do we are getting a 2 bedroom house. However there is a disagreement about who will get the extra room for what as he wants it for a "Man cave" for his games etc, and said I can have the lounge room for my beads which will be a HUGE Mistake!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Jan 8, 2012 9:37 PM

Cassandra, I think you need storage/transport tubs or bags or whatever with WHEELS! They make some craft-type luggage for people who travel with wheels like regular luggage. Some of those bins come with wheels too. 

Either that,  or you need to get project boxes that are smaller, and select your items at home and take just the small project boxes. This is what I do on vacation, pack one box with tools, and pack six or seven others with already-selected beads. 

As for the BF, offer him some, uh, incentives to give up his man-cave or just be patient with you. ;)

Lynn

Lynn Allen

beadencounter@gmail.com

http://www.beadencounter.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 274
Paka wrote
on Jan 8, 2012 10:26 PM

Ah, Cassandra!  That's a hassle, to be sure.  I think Lynn is correct in advising you to look for wheels and to consider working with projects instead of your entire stash.  I have had something of a similar situation, living between two homes.  I stay full time with my mother to take care of her, but I have my own home and must travel there at least quarterly.  When I first started making the trips, I would haul everything I could with me.  Eventually, there was too much, so I just filled the trunk of the car and made do with what I could fit in there--and bought more of what I forgot to bring along. 

I've been focusing on getting storage containers that allow me to store items individually instead of whole trays worth of things.  Now I can pick and choose what I will take with me--all of the essential findings for making earrings and necklaces but only a few selections of coordinating beads for the projects that I think I will work on.  On my last trip home, I only took one tub [plastic banker's box], a tool bag, and a tote bag.  QUITE a change.  And quite adequate for what I had time to do.

Of course, you can't make these changes overnight, but if you find anything in this thread useful for the future, you can make plans for how you want your workspace to be and work toward that goal.  My vote:  BF should play his games in the lounge so that you have a work space for your business Big Smile in the second bedroom.  Whatever you do, get some wheels!

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Cassandra715 wrote
on Jan 9, 2012 11:36 PM

Yes, I believe I do need some wheels. I will have to look into that, hopefully we get a house soon so I don't need too. I like the looks of all the individual cylinder containers that stack... perhaps ill get some of those while I am at it :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 36
yumemiru wrote
on Jan 10, 2012 10:29 AM

I rarely, if ever, have posted in the forums, but this seems like the perfect topic to jump in on. :) 

I'm a college sophomore, and due to my college's requirements, I *still* have to live on-campus. Which means that I have to go home for breaks, etc. and have precious little space. {Although I have more than I did last year because I'm now living in an apartment-style dorm and have my own room.} Before that, at home all I had was my own small bedroom, which was filled with very, very large furniture.

In the beginning, I used a rolling storage container...thing. Back then I was mostly doing stringing and had very few beads, findings, etc. When I started learning how to do beadweaving, I moved to a craft tote that I used until last Christmas. The craft tote unfortunately couldn't hold my large handled storage container, so I had to carry that separately. I'd bring my beads whenever I went home, and it just got to be too much of a hassle on my part {and my parents'} to bring so many separate storage containers.

So last year around the holidays, my mom and I were in a craft store and I began looking at, of all things, wheeled scrapbook storage totes. I'm far from a scrapbooker {I've tried, because when I was a Girl Scout getting my Silver and Gold awards we HAD to make scrapbooks}, but these totes had wheels, large storage spaces, and places to put magazines, etc. My mom surprised me with one for Christmas that year, and it's been just what I need. It holds all of my storage containers {eventually I'll get around to taking pics} and tools perfectly. I do have a separate tote bag that I pack with stuff for projects for the road, since I have a 3 1/2 hour drive back home. {No, I don't bead and drive. :) I actually don't have a driver's license/car, so unfortunately my parents have to make a 7-hour round trip anytime I go home.}

-Katie ♥

My Blog: http://anthologybeadgeek.blogspot.com/

My Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AnthologyBeadwork

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 274
Paka wrote
on Jan 15, 2012 8:59 AM

Katie:  Sounds like you've got it under control.  Your drivers surely do love you and want to see you if they make that long round trip very often.  Make some good memories!  Automobile  I like wheeled cases to help deal with the weight of what we carry.  Shoulder straps on various totes and cases are definitely a good thing, but one can literally overdevelop the muscles in the carrying shoulder or pull vertebrae out of line if done too frequently or with too heavy a load.  Just carrying totes with handles can damage tendons in the arm.  Someday (trust me on this) you're gonna want to have all those muscles and tendons and joints (a) working and (b) not complaining about it.  Wheels are good.

Tia Dalma:  They came!  My little boxes from Fusion Beads arrived Saturday (only a week from order to arrival--with free shipping).  I even got a free gift (a handy tape measure).  I spent part of last evening sorting my flippies and getting them into the little storage boxes.  Recent experience with the earring challenge and making a necklace for a friend really brought it home that I needed to get those flippies sorted by task.  These boxes made it so much easier.  Now I have a box full of flip top boxes all holding the various findings needed to make a necklace (crimps, clasps, crimp covers, etc.) in gold tones, another for silver tones, the same duo for spacers, small quantities of seed and crystals sorted (roughly) by color.  I am working on making a box just for earrings.  And more more more. *happy dance*

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 36
yumemiru wrote
on Jan 15, 2012 10:13 AM

Paka:

Katie:  Sounds like you've got it under control.  Your drivers surely do love you and want to see you if they make that long round trip very often.  Make some good memories!  Automobile  I like wheeled cases to help deal with the weight of what we carry.  Shoulder straps on various totes and cases are definitely a good thing, but one can literally overdevelop the muscles in the carrying shoulder or pull vertebrae out of line if done too frequently or with too heavy a load.  Just carrying totes with handles can damage tendons in the arm.  Someday (trust me on this) you're gonna want to have all those muscles and tendons and joints (a) working and (b) not complaining about it.  Wheels are good.

Believe me, I know all about muscles and tendons needing to work...I actually already have a pinched nerve in my left shoulder, and it's irritating! I guess I just need better ways to cope with stress, but beading helps with that. :) It's funny how such tiny things add up to such a large weight, isn't it? {And yes, my drivers are spectacular. I don't know how they do it. ♥}

My Blog: http://anthologybeadgeek.blogspot.com/

My Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AnthologyBeadwork

Not Ranked
Posts 1
CydVal wrote
on Dec 30, 2013 9:23 AM

I also store most of my beads in rectangular flip top containers I found on FMG. I love them. they are portable and stack nicely. The problem is I have almost 200 of them in my work bench that has 12 drawers.  I find that it takes me too long to find what I want than it does to actually make the piece.  I am moving into a new home and new craft room and I was thinking of trying the clear acrylic shelves they use to hold nail polish. I would need several of them, but I think having everything out where I can see it may make the creative process flow better.  It will also add nice color to the room! Has anyone ever tried these shelves?

Cyd Val

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
Sharon Mc wrote
on Jan 1, 2014 3:32 AM

I have not tried them, but I do use the largest flip tops along with the boxes from Harbor Freight (the ones that hold 24 hinged little boxes that hold approx. 30 to 35 grams of beads). If you do try the acrylic shelves, take a picture and share with us please, I'd love to see how it works out. I'm in the middle of re-vamping my craft/study room. I'm looking for a piece of furniture I can turn into something for bead storage or possibly have something custom made. I want it to take care of any future needs I might have too.

Sharon Mc

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Jan 30, 2014 2:32 PM
Cyd, I've recently started labeling all of my bead containers. Right now they're stacked on bookshelves. I'm also in the process of revamping my bead room, and will be using 2 24" kitchen cabinets, each with 7 shallow drawers. Gotta love IKEA. :) I will label each of the drawer fronts when they're in place. I'll try to get some pics later today.
Page 4 of 4 (58 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 | RSS