Favorite resin for making charms?

This post has 34 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 22
ForumModerator
on Aug 27, 2008 1:04 PM

Hi everyone, I found a few posts about making beads with resins using molds, but have you made charms and pendants by filling blank bezels with fun papers, stickers, photos, etc., and then using the resin as a sealant? I have found this be very addicting! While writing my book (Custom Cool Jewelry) I played with Diamond Glaze, Amazing Glaze (both available at www.ornamentea.com, along with blank bezels), and EasyCast 2-part epoxy but I am wondering if anyone has another favorite brand of resin? So far EasyCast is my favorite. Has anyone tried an epoxy called Magic-Glos that cures in sunlight? New products seem to hit the market every week.

The charm on the left was finished with Diamond Glaze (notice how it’s just a little cloudy in the center?), the charm at right was finished with EasyCast (see how crystal clear it is?).

Thanks!

Melinda Barta

Custom Cool Charms

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 35
MonicaP@10 wrote
on Aug 28, 2008 11:36 AM

I don't have a favorite glaze, but would like to say that your book is on my list! Got the Beading Daily email about it today and that particular charm bracelet wowed me.

Monica

La Mariposa Gallery
www.lamariposagallery.com

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Timaree wrote
on Aug 29, 2008 9:26 AM

I haven't used it for charms - yet - but have used Delta's Air-Dry PermEnamel Clear Gloss Glaze to put heavy coats of clear, glasslike glaze over a painted lamp base and over rolled, paper beads.  It's super thick and wonderful with those so I will have to take one of my saved but never used bottle caps now and try turning it into a charm.  I highly recommend this stuff as a thick coating.  My paper beads really look better for it and so does my lamp.

Timaree

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
on Aug 29, 2008 12:06 PM

Hi Melinda!

I have your book...love, love, love it! The ideas are so diverse and I appreciate that you show several options for using them. This will be a go-to book for future inspiration! I had the good fortune to take a class at this years' Bead and Button show in Milwaukee with master artist Susan Lenart Kazmer. She is way into using resin and the class was actually all about using them. I had never used them before, but I did buy some of it! Her resin is a jeweler's grade resin called Ice Resin. It is available for purchase from her website www.objectsandelements.com. This is a two-part epoxy that you mix in small batches to activate it. The cool thing is that it is non-toxic. That's right! No noxious fumes! From the others in the class who had used various resins, this was their chief complaint. It was fascinating stuff, and now that summer is over, I am putting these techniques to use in a new line of pendants I am concocting for release in October. Thanks for writing such a wonderful book... I look forward to more of your offerings in the future! Erin Prais-Hintz, Tesori Trovati Jewelry Collection, www.tesoritrovati.com

Not Ranked
Posts 22
ForumModerator
on Sep 2, 2008 9:44 AM

Thanks for the recommendations and for the nice comments, I'm so happy you like my book! It was so much fun to make. I love Susan Lenart Kazmer's work and have made collages using a lot of her bezels but haven't tried the Ice Resin yet—I didn't realize it is non-toxic, that's great to know!

Erin, I can't wait to see your new line of pendants.

Melinda Barta

Not Ranked
Posts 1
vani2 wrote
on Oct 17, 2008 11:16 AM

Hi,

Those are lovely pendants.  I have not tried the easycast yet.  I am going to try that next.  I have used Magic glos, and 2 part epoxy. Magic glos should work well for your purpose.  It sets quick.  However you will need that UV light.  not expensive, but still some more stuff to buy if you plan on using it a lot.  Magic glos is more expensive, but is well worth for 2 reasons. 1- Non toxic, no odor, can do it indoors.  2- sets in a few minutes under UV light.  Beautifully domes.  3. No mixing required. Well, thats' three.

Cons:  It is not working for my application.  I am trying to use as a coating on MOP pendant with photo/ artwork on it. The problem is it is a flat surface, and so I needed something that sets fast, and does not run.  Wel, magic glos peels right off after completely cured (2 days later) if I stick my nail and pries off easily.   It comes off as a hard/ brittle platic sheet along with the photo, and this can be broken into pieces.  That's a serious issue. I am trying to contact the manufacturer about this issue.  Magic glos seems to have adhesion issues.  It works on clay.  But if you  are putting this on a photo that is not baked on clay, now there may be adhesion issues, based on what that paper/ material is underneath.

2 part epoxies have a great adhesion.  Problem is right mixing required, some what toxic, and long curing times.

I read a review on Ice resin:

http://artfortheheart.blogspot.com/2008/09/resins-as-finishes-sealers-and-casting.html

Basically she finds it identical to Colores from riogrande, which is 4 times less expensive.  What you have easycast is probably just as good, and I dont see a reason to look for a different resin that cures the same way and you need to apply with the same techinique.  easycast also is odorless.

Now, you might be interested in Judikins DG3 art gel, which is an improvement over diamond glaze, and it will set clear.  No mixing required. Long curing thou like any epoxy resin.

Does any one have experience with resins/ sealers for flat surfaces like shell, Sterling?

Thanks,

Vani

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 38
beadaholic@2 wrote
on Jul 14, 2009 1:11 PM

Hi Melinda,

Did you write a book? Do you have it for sale somewhere? From the comments I read, it sounds like a really good book, would love to see it/purchase it.

beadaholic

Thanks for reading my post! Constructive feedback is always welcomed.

beadaholic

http://www.beadheads.shophandmade.com/www

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jul 14, 2009 1:14 PM

Her book is called Custom Cool Jewelry, and it's available through the Interweave bookstore (check the hurt book sale), plus Amazon & other places.  I have it and it's well worth purchasing.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 38
beadaholic@2 wrote
on Jul 14, 2009 1:44 PM

Thanks!

Thanks for reading my post! Constructive feedback is always welcomed.

beadaholic

http://www.beadheads.shophandmade.com/www

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 183
Whency wrote
on Jul 14, 2009 1:56 PM

I have been playing with some resin called Amazing Casting Resin. I bought it at Hobby Lobby. It was around $15.00 us. The only thing I have issue is it dries white, so you have to dye it and inclusions tend to float to the top of the mold as does the dye. I have made some really pretty heartshaped pendants swirled with blue. It is very quick curing only takes between 5-10 minutes to set and I have filed, drilled, and sanded some as research to see how soon you can do this. Sanding dulls the finish. Drilling is like magic works really well and filing use your best judgement. Now if I could only figure out how to make my pictures appear on here I would include some! Confused

Michelle  Casson

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,711
cbreul wrote
on Jul 17, 2009 6:55 AM

I ordered your book from the "hurt" book sale and can't wait to get it. I did get some of the Ice Resin but have not had a chance to try it yet.

cb

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 183
Whency wrote
on Jul 17, 2009 11:22 AM

Hey I recieved my new Fire Mountain Gems catalouge the other day .It has some resin in it called Ferido. It's a 2 part epoxy resin adhesive according to the catalouge . You have 75 minutes to work with it. And I was wondering if anyone had tried this . It sounds very interesting and if I had the money I would have already ordered it in every color they have.Which is 15 differnt colors!!!

COURTNEY!,Have you had a chance to try the Ice resin? I would really like to know how it worked. i want some myself.

Michelle  Casson

Not Ranked
Posts 22
ForumModerator
on Jul 17, 2009 11:36 AM

I haven’t tried it, but Sherri Haab used it to make a wonderful necklace for Handcrafted Jewelry--our special, newsstand-only publication that will out Aug. 11th.
Melinda
______
Melinda Barta
Editor, Beadwork

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,711
cbreul wrote
on Jul 17, 2009 11:51 AM

michelle:

COURTNEY!,Have you had a chance to try the Ice resin? I would really like to know how it worked. i want some myself.

Michelle,

I have ordered some frames and will try once I get those.  If they turn out, I will post and let you know.

cb

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 183
Whency wrote
on Jul 17, 2009 12:14 PM

Ooohhhh goody I just love new toys don't you? I have used almost a whole bottle of the resin I have . I guess you just can't have too many white and blue resin cabs!

Michelle  Casson

Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS