Does anyone prefer working with more primitive looking metals?

This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
tinytwist wrote
on Oct 10, 2011 9:21 AM

Hello, I am wondering if there are any people on this forum who prefer and specialize in wire work that is not gold or silver? I prefer using copper, bronze, and gunmetal steel because I find that they are more unusual, and I like how my pieces have a more primitive look. (They seem much more versatile to me, but that is only my opinion.)

Does anyone else here feel the same way? I feel as if I may be using the wrong forum, or even the wrong website and I would just like to make sure that I am in the right place here.

thanks.

God closes doors no man can open, and God opens doors no man can close.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 780
labup wrote
on Oct 26, 2011 1:31 PM

Tiny:   You are on the correct forum.  Most of the people on this whole site are beaders though.  We do have a few of us "wiry" folk lurking about though.  And yes, especially with the price of gold and silver, more and more of us are working with copper, bronze, gunmetal and stainless steel..  I do wire work and chain maille and I can NEVER use gold and silver (although I do use silver plate sometimes) because you need sooooo many rings to make anything.  I also use aluminum, which I never thought I would but the bright silver aluminum looks really nice in chain maille, doesn't tarnish and is lightweight so when you make something big and bulky looking, it doesn't feel that way, which is good most of the time.  Who wants to wear a necklace that weights 5 pounds.  LOL   Have you posted any of your work on the Readers Showcase forum?  We all love looking at everyones beautiful creations.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 781
Tia Dalma wrote
on Oct 26, 2011 4:30 PM

Hi Tiny Twist,

labup us right...you are in the right forum, and we love to talk about beading here...but many of us are beaders who have not yet tackled wire! I myself am a seed beader but I do like to try to make some of my own findings out of wire! I am just not that great at it yet...haha!

Other than Sterling Silver which is so darn expensive these days, my absolute favorite is antique bronze colored wire...I guess that would be either bronze finish on copper wire or antique finish on brass wire...either way I love that finish on wire! And sometimes gunmetal finish too!

But I mainly only make jumprings, eyepins, ear wires, S Hooks and things like that. I still have a hard time making a nice wrapped loop so I am definitely not an experienced wire worker! and I tend to steer clear of making anything that requires a lot of perfect wrapped loops!

But it is nice to supplement my seed bead work with my own findings!

Hopefully some more of our experienced wire workers will share some of their interests here too! But we would all love to see some pics of your work too!

Happy Beading...and Wire working!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 274
Paka wrote
on Nov 10, 2011 1:22 PM

Yes, tinytwist, as far as I am concerned, you are in the right forum.  There's a lot of beadworking here, but I have neither the eyes nor the hands--and certainly not the patience--to fiddle with anything smaller than a #6 seed bead.  Indeed, I am a lowly (but proud) stringer who aspires to add wirework to her repertoire. I think there are others of us here.

I can't afford sterling silver or gold anything  these days.   I have worked with sterling, but immediately realized that I had just forgotten about hating it.  I long ago gave away all my sterling jewelry and am still trying to give away my sterling serving dishes--because I absolutely hate to polish the stuff. 

I do work with silver and gold colored craft wires, but I am amassing a cache of copper for some ideas that have been simmering in the back of my mind.  I have not branched out into bronze or gunmetal.  Are you using any of the colored wires? 

If you haven't already, do post some your work in the display section.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
monahudson wrote
on Jan 2, 2012 3:31 AM

I like using copper too.It looks very classy.Gives a unique look to wearer as well

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,750
Kokopelli wrote
on Jan 2, 2012 8:26 AM

I have only one reason for working with "cheap" wire: I don't have to worry when I mess up something.

I like using copper and brass wire and often use silverplated wire. I only do basic wirework like simple bezels, clasps, earwires and all. And I like more the look you call "primitive" as it is more my style. Although silver and gold can also look rustic, for example when it is oxidized.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Tabi736 wrote
on Jan 7, 2012 5:08 AM

I love working with copper! I am very limited to what I have as I am JUST starting out, but my hubby stripped a bunch of wire for me so I have a surplus at the moment. I am getting better and better at working with it.  Today, I want to see how a Herringbone stitch would look using the copper wire rather than Fireline. Also,  Victorian Beading is so fun and I feel like  I could just about make anything using that tech.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Jan 17, 2012 11:17 AM

I'm with ya--I work exclusively with brass and copper--and occasionally with nickel silver. I do love sterling, but refuse to pay the high price for it. I patina my own wire and jump rings rings in liver of sulfur--it looks great.

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on May 25, 2013 3:59 AM

I knew that one of my friends used wire to make jewelry because she got me a wire wrapped bail and she  sent the making tutorial to pandahall and earned 20 $.  Here is the one that made by her.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Feb 28, 2014 10:33 AM

I use whatever works if it looks good! I screw up so much when I make something that it wouldn't be very cost effective. I do have some nice gold and silver wire- but I am too afraid to use it yet! I'll have to fine tune my skills before I do that. I love copper anyway, and have a bunch of old electrical wire that I am going to strip and see if I can repurpose it in some way...

marutibeads.com - some really cool beads..

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS