Yellowstone National Park

This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 143
quekpeggy wrote
on Sep 29, 2011 8:10 AM

Dear BD friends, I will be visiting Yellowstone National Park 26-29 October.  I've been warned that there might be snow and the park will be closed.  I am a bit worried now Tongue Tied.  Will anyone advise if this is true?  Thanks in advance.

Peggy

http://pq-beaddreamer.blogspot.com

We make a living by what we get;
we make a life by what we give.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 404
tpfrank wrote
on Sep 29, 2011 9:53 AM

Hi Peggy,

If you go to the north entrance, which is in Gardener, MT, that gate is open year round and you should be able to get in to see some of the park.  Yellowstone is a very beautiful place I have been there twice, but both times have been in the summer. 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 143
quekpeggy wrote
on Sep 29, 2011 11:03 PM

Thanks Therese, I am going to stay near the north entrance. The beautiful website photos on Yellowstone Park really entice us to go.  But the unpredictable October weather and bears (i'm a coward Smile) got me worried. Haha.  Anyway, I am going while keeping my finger crossed!

Peggy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,273
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 30, 2011 11:01 AM

We camp every year the last weekend in October. We stay in Harrison Lake State Park in Fayette, OH. Sometimes we have a warm glow from the sun, but there has been times that we could make a snowman, and that's where a lot of firewood comes in handy.  Wink The end of October in the Northen Hemisphere is always iffy as far the tempertures go.

Good luck with the weather and above all remember camping is fun.........You are taking along some beads that need to be made into something, aren't you.

Happy Beading!!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 143
quekpeggy wrote
on Oct 8, 2011 2:51 AM

To be honest, I am such a spoilt urbanized person that the thought of camping would freak me out.  What would I do if there was a bear? Will I get insect bites? Will there be toilet? The excuses can go on and on whenever my children or husband suggested to go camping.  Haha, I am such a coward - not willing to get out of my comfort zone.  That's why I am worrying sick about this trip to Yellowstone - a place that I've never heard of until now.Tongue Tied

This trip is more for bonding with our daughter so I better be doing things together with the family, so beading is a no-no.  However, I will surely be looking out for nice stones while I'm at Arizona (Flagstaff, Petrified Forest, Sedona and Grand Canyon).  Am I talking sense?  I am clueless if there is any.

Peggy

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 96
Sandra242 wrote
on Oct 8, 2011 1:52 PM

Yellowstone is an amazing place and I would love to go in winter! I've only been there in Summer.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 547
CryssT wrote
on Oct 9, 2011 1:03 AM

just to put you at ease.  if it's the 25th of October that you will be there, there is little to no chance of insect bites.  the Parks have bathrooms in various places/sites.  some are an updated version of an outhouse - more roomy, still smelly - some way to wash your hands.  by end of October the bears should be hunkering down in their caves for a long winters nap.

since you are on the computer - google Yellowstone and read up on it.  

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 143
quekpeggy wrote
on Oct 9, 2011 10:35 PM

CryssT:
since you are on the computer - google Yellowstone and read up on it.  

Smile  I've googled it thus chosen the place.  Yet the unknown still troubled me a bit.  But thanks for the info which indeed put me somehow at ease.

Peggy

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 440
Ricki Ayer wrote
on Oct 10, 2011 6:34 AM

I go to AZ quite often as I have family there - both in Flagstaff and Phoenix...and Sedona is one of my most favorite places in the world - totally amazing and beautiful scenery and wonderful shopping.   My favorite bead stores in Sedona are Bead Heaven and Cocopah.  And in Flagstaff, don't miss Animas Beads...I always mamnage to find some wonderful things there.  We were in AZ in May and I managed to bead shop in Flagstaff, Phoenix, Sedona and Apache Junction at Deb's wonderful shop. 

Yellowstone is a wonderfully beautiful park - you will be in awe of the scenery.  The Grand Canyon is amazingly awesome - you won't believe how spectacular and the Petrified Forest is very cool as well.  Trust me, you will love the area and wonder why you were ever hesitant.  Relax, give yourself over to the wonder and spectacle of the area and then go bead shopping - trust me, it will be an amazing vacation.

Ricki

Ayer Baubles

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 143
quekpeggy wrote
on Oct 10, 2011 7:32 AM

Ahhhhh..........now I can see light in my journey, Ah-hem, sorry....I meant Bead Stores in my trip. Big Smile

Thank you so much, Ricki.  I have now, besides the spectacular scenery, additional stuff to look forward to in this coming vacation. Yeah! The only regret is not being able to visit Deb's shop as we only have time for Flagstaff and Sedona while in AZ.Sad

Peggy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Oct 19, 2011 2:33 PM

quekpeggy:

Ahhhhh..........now I can see light in my journey, Ah-hem, sorry....I meant Bead Stores in my trip. Big Smile

Thank you so much, Ricki.  I have now, besides the spectacular scenery, additional stuff to look forward to in this coming vacation. Yeah! The only regret is not being able to visit Deb's shop as we only have time for Flagstaff and Sedona while in AZ.Sad

Peggy,

I'm so sorry you won't be able to squeak in a detour to visit us here in Apache Junction.But, if you're going to the Grand Canyon instead, I'll "forgive" you!

A warning about the Petrified Forest National Park - as with all national parks and forests, including the Grand Canyon - it is illegal to collect stones and plants from within the park (except in certain cases, with permits, etc.), though they do have petrified wood, etc.for sale in the gift shop at the Visitor Centers in both places. Though I'm a rockhound born and bred, I tend to stay on the side of caution and don't succumb to the temptation in either park.

The Petrified Forest National Park is a paleontological locality. Petrified wood is a fossil - in fact, it's the state fossil of Arizona, which means the entire park is essentially a scientific research location. Though there are millions of tons of petrified wood collectively in the park and you might think "they won't miss one little piece", it's the "little pieces" that add up to the big logs. There are other fossils that have been found in the park as well - the Visitor Center is worth a visit.

As with the stories about Madame Pele in Hawaii and the tourists that take home lava rocks, there are similar legends of bad luck from the Petrified Forest. The Visitor Center has hundreds of letters on display from tourists who had encountered bad luck and disaster when they thought "one little piece won't matter" and took home a piece for themselves. The park literally receives pounds of petrified wood in the mail, every month that has been returned by conscience ridden tourists. The problem is that when the fossil is picked up and taken from the park, it can't be returned to the exact location where it was found, even if it is returned, which can interfere with any research going on in the park.

Sorry to get "preachy", but paleontology has been my hobby for a long time and I tend to get wound up about it sometimes.

Hope you have a great trip!

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Fairlight01 wrote
on Oct 22, 2011 6:05 PM

Wow DebWAZ you may have sounded preachy but that was very interesting information for me... I had no idea that there were legends about bad luck following someone from taking from the park. I have not been there before but it is on my bucket list, even more so now as I see a line of things that could be made with the legend in mind... (out of things bought from the visitors center of course!)

Quekpeggy, I hope you have lots of fun on your trip, I too love the comports of home, but have found that roughing it once in awhile can be fun too and my two daughters (8 and 5) love it when mommy has ponytail days. (I am usually one of those who do hair and make up everyday) so while it may not always be er as nice as we normally would like it, bonding this way can leave alot of awesome memories for everyone.

Kat

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Oct 23, 2011 4:57 PM

Kat,

Oh yes - it's interesting to read some of the letters in the Visitor's Center. If you don't believe in superstitious stuff, the letters might change your mind. People claim to have had terrible things happen, from accidents, fires, losing jobs, etc. and they blame it all on the petrified wood (or lava) they swiped.

LOL about your bucket list. I never really had one, but thinking about it, there wouldn't be very many things left on it if I did have one. I guess I'd better take my time in finishing it, huh?

The Visitor's Center is pretty interesting. It's small, so it doesn't take forever if you just want to get an overview of the park and it's history, but it's large enough to be informative. Of course, there is a ton of information that's free, as well as books and other publications as well, if you really want to get in depth information.

There is another tourist stop on the highway near the Petrified Forest National Park, that has a nice gift shop with all kinds of petrified wood and other rocks and gemstones. There's one or two rock shops in Winslow and Holbrook that have rocks, fossils and other stuff, too. There are lots of places outside PFNP where you can find petrified wood and collect it without problems. Generally, in AZ, plant and invertebrate fossils are okay just about anywhere in the state - pot shards, arrowheads and vertebrate bones, including dinosaurs are not! And, don't even think about any kind of rockhounding on a reservation without permission from the tribal authorities. Tribal police can get pretty cranky about it!

I'm not much of a "roughing it" kind of person any more, though it was kind of fun back in the day. I like my comfy bed nowadays. The last time I "camped out" was when we moved into our new store and the security system hadn't been installed yet. DH and I brought in our sleeping bags and slept on the floor.

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS