Easy Leaf Tutorial (from the Autumn Leaves Lariat) Pic Heavy

This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 781
Tia Dalma wrote
on Sep 29, 2011 3:38 AM

Ok Ladies,

This is a tutorial (if you can actually call it that, haha) for the leaves I made in that Autumn Leaves Lariat that I posted the other day. I have no diagrams so I added photos of some of the steps! I hope this is helpful!

You should have working knowledge of Peyote stitch to make these leaves. In the most basic terms you are just adding 2 rounds of Peyote stitch and tossing in a Herringbone stitch to form the pointy leaf tip! I tried to write this up so it is clear and simple, but you know how I go on forever when I write anything! 

I used size 11/0 and size 15/0 round seed beads for these leaves.

I always start with a stop bead in a contrasting color so that I remember that it is there! You may need to sew through it twice being careful not to split your thread...and you will need to use the tail thread for better tension so leave a good 6 or 8 inches!

String 26 beads, starting with an 11/0, alternating with 15/0s. Then string a 15/0, an 11/0 and a 15/0. Then string 26 more beads starting with a 15/0 and alternating with 11/0's. This is all one continuous length of beads that begins and ends with an 11/0 and has those 3 "extra" beads in the center! They are only separated here to show you the sequence!

Then work in Peyote stitch adding a 15/0 in each stitch, skipping the 11/0's and stitching through the 15/0's. When you get to the middle section, where you strung the 15/0, 11/0, 15/0, you will make that last stitch adding a 15/0, then you will skip those 3 "extra" beads (the 15/0, 11/0, 15/0) and pass through the next 15/0 without picking up any beads.

I made that picture bigger so you can see the thread path...I should have done this in contrasting colors...sorry!

Continue in Peyote stitch, adding 15/0's, skipping the 11/0's and passing through the 15/0's until you reach the end of this row. The size difference in the beads will make this begin to curve into a leaf shape...you want to use tight tension to encourage this curve even though it can be twisty and hard to work with.

(At this point I will pull up with my fingers or tweezers on the 11/0 that you skipped in the center, this becomes the tip of the leaf and if you pop it out from between those 15/0's it will create a more pointy leaf tip and it will help the leaf curve into shape and you will see the two separate halves or sides of the leaf take shape)

Your thread should be exiting the last 15/0 from the intital round. Ignore the 11/0 at the end of this row. Now pick up a 15/0 and start another row of Peyote stitch adding 15/0's in each step going back up this side of the leaf.

When you get to that middle section again, you will add your last 15/0 on this side of the leaf, passing your needle through the last up bead on this side of the leaf. Then following the same thread path and direction, without picking up a bead, pass your needle through the corresponding up bead on the other side of the leaf...this is what you did in the first round, skipping those middle beads again, and keep your tension tight. Now you are in position to continue in Peyote stitch down the second side of the leaf. (This photo shows you passing through the up bead on the second side of the leaf before continuing this round Peyote)

When you add your last 15/0 in this round you can remove your stop bead and weave in the tail thread. Then using the working thread you can stitch the 2 separate ends together until it feels secure. You will want to be exiting a 15/0 in the center of this lower portion of the leaf for the next step.

This next step is to add the veins. I pick up between 17 and 20 15/0's and pass up through one of the beads at the inside tip of the lead (the ones that we skipped in the Peyote rounds) and then down through the corresponding bead. Then pass back through the last 3 beads picked up. This is your center vein. You will now continue to add the small veins in this manner. Pick up 3 beads, pass through an up bead on either side of the leaf and back through the last 3 beads picked up. Then pass down through 3 beads in your center vein, etc...until you like the look of your veins!

As I stated elsewhere, I was using a pattern by Lisa Kan to make little leaves...hers are made in 2 pieces that are stitched together, and they end up slightly rounded at the top. And they are very labor intensive...So I played around with it until I came up with this idea to make them all in one piece with a pointy tip!

So please feel free to make as many of these as you could ever want! I did not create this idea, I am sure it has been around for centuries, and it is one of those things that is in the public domain! It is just something that I tried one day and it worked!

So if you have any questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them! I know this may not be clear as mud but I tried! If you know Peyote stitch and understand that herringbone-like turn, you should have no problem with this (and probably don't even need all the photo's and text etc). But have fun with these leaves!

Happy Beading!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 539
Emma.J wrote
on Sep 29, 2011 4:14 AM

Thanks heaps Tia!!

I might go and give it a try Big Smile

Emma
xXx

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
Wolfykwe wrote
on Sep 29, 2011 6:34 AM

Thank you for your tutorial!!  I wish we could make this one a sticky!  

The best gift you can give anybody is to love yourself.  Gift 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,019
ingrid@38 wrote
on Sep 29, 2011 9:30 AM

Woohoo, thanks a lot, I really want to try this out. 

Ingrid

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ingridwang69

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 404
tpfrank wrote
on Sep 29, 2011 9:43 AM

Thank you Tia, I will give them a try!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
Wolfykwe wrote
on Sep 29, 2011 1:00 PM

Those leaves have so much potential!!

The best gift you can give anybody is to love yourself.  Gift 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 563
kareng915 wrote
on Sep 30, 2011 3:14 AM

Thank you!!!

karen  ~  BeadDelirium    blog  |  artfire 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,273
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 30, 2011 9:28 AM

Thanks, Although  I love making the Russian leaves, I will have to give these a try.

I would like to have more than one look of the beads, and this may just do that for me. Not all the leaves are the same on a tree, why should they be on a jewelry piece.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 249
beadinstyle wrote
on Oct 1, 2011 3:11 PM

So many thanks for the tutorial. I SO came at the right time for me! A friend was showing me some Russian leaves some weeks ago, but the shop got busy, and she had a lunch date, so she had to leave before we finished the "lesson".  As to the fate of my leaves ... none of the sides match each other. Yes, *laughing hard here*, I know they don't match each other IRL, but my leaves were VERY organic!! And I simply didn't have time to sit down and work it out so that if somebody DID ask me how to make perfect leaves (and of course they will), I could show them how. And thanks to the pretty pictures above ... now I CAN!!!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS