Finding Donations for Community Activities

This post has 21 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Thecatdragon wrote
on Aug 21, 2008 7:39 PM
I work at my town's local hospital and long-term care center and recently introduced the residents to beading using an overstock of beads that I no longer had room for. They really got into it and now I have been working on ways to help keep that stash full and interesting. One of the challenges I have been having with this is that it is a small town and there are very few bead and craft stores within a reasonable distance. I had been asking for ideas on how to help get supplies cheaply and was given the suggestion to put out a request seeing if anyone had supplies they would like to give to a good cause. Right now we have been making bracelets but we will probably move to other projects as the residents want to. The main things that we could use are beads of any type that are easy to string- no seed beads- they are too small for the residents to use, stringing supplies-mainly stretch cord to make it easy for them to get them on and off- and any other miscellaneous items that might be helpful in creating various projects. Anyone that is interested in helping with this can send donations to: MCC Attn: Activities Director 1423 7th St Aurora, NE 68818 Many thanks to anyone who would like to help with this. Dorlissa
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 22, 2008 5:36 AM

Thanks for the information and I will go through my beads this weekend. 

If it is okay, could you please post some pictures of the residents creating & some of the finished pieces? It would be cool to see what our donations have created. I understand if they don't want their pictures taken but at least the finished pieces. 

I hope that you get so much in donations that you run out of room!

Best of luck to you and your residents! Please give them my best!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 22, 2008 6:09 AM

I have quite a bit of the stretch cord in clear, white, and silver colored. I get the stuff in kits that I buy, but I never use stretch cord in anything that I make. I always take the parts from the kits and make something else.

You said no seed beads, but how about the 'E' beads? They are much bigger than seeds, yet smaller than say pony beads. Are their any certain kinds of beads that they work with regularly? If so, please state so because I would hate to get up a bunch of stuff to send, only to find out later that none of it was even used because it was the wrong types of things. Are their any materials that we need to stay away from or anything like that?

If you could post a 'wish list' as someone in the other thread asked you to, it would make things a whole lot easier for those of us wishing to contribute? Thanks.

Good luck on your endeavor and my best to all of the residents.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 22, 2008 7:29 AM

An additional thought would be that people could purchase gift cards to an internet shop like Fire Mountain Gems and then send those gift cards to this address as well. Then they could purchase supplies as needed too. 

Just an additional thought in case someone had not thought of that one yet. 

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Thecatdragon wrote
on Aug 22, 2008 4:53 PM

Okay this is the best wishlist that I can think of right now, it is kind of hard because we started with a mixed bag of mostly glass beads and they have been using all of them.  E beads would work, as well as glass beads of all types, acyrlic or plastic beads. Some shaped beads they could use as a focal piece would be nice too. Right now they have been really liking bright colors so that would be good.  The only type that I would really stay away from are metal beads because they haven't been using the few that are already in the stash.  Also stretch cord preferably in .7mm or .8mm diameter would be great although any would work.  I hope this is a good start to a wish list I with expand or clarify if it is needed.  I will also work on getting pictures of what htey have done- it shouldn't be a problem; and see about getting pictures of them working- I might not be able to do that.  Thanks again for any help.

DorlissaSmile

wrote
on Aug 23, 2008 6:57 AM

Thanks for the info Dorlissa!  I'll go through my stash when I get back from vacation and send you a "care package", if you will.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Thecatdragon wrote
on Aug 25, 2008 4:47 PM

I decided to take Michelle from Beading Daily's advice and try my hand at a blog to provide information about what we're doing and also photos of projects and other interesting things that hap[pen with it.  You might have to bear with me I've never done a blog before.  The address is http://www.beadsforseniors.blogspot.com

Thanks again

Dorlissa

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,259
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Aug 25, 2008 7:43 PM

You should get a small package in the mail in about 2-3 days. Have fun and enjoy the beads I sent you I hope they fit your need and they have a happy new home.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Thecatdragon wrote
on Aug 26, 2008 1:40 PM

Thank you so much Sue we will keep our eyes open for it.

DorlissaBig Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 35
MonicaP@10 wrote
on Aug 28, 2008 11:40 AM

How fun... about to check the blog! I made a couple things the other night and have started a mental list of what to pack up and send you out of my supplies.

Also noticed on Fire Mountain yesterday a thing called Boss' Bag (I think). It's a whole pound (or so? I'm forgetful today!) of beading materials for under $10. I'm curious and may add one to my order to then forward on to you, too!

Monica

La Mariposa Gallery
www.lamariposagallery.com

wrote
on Aug 29, 2008 12:59 AM

Hey, nice start on your blog!  As soon as I have some spare moments I'll gather some things to send you (post-vacation housework calls, unfortunately).  I have ordered several of the Bosses' Bead Bags from FMG, and it's a bunch of fun to go through them and see what you get.  That is a good idea if you just want a random mix of things.  Great for stirring up your creativity, since I always get something I've either wanted to try or never thought about using.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Thecatdragon wrote
on Aug 29, 2008 6:34 PM

Thanks for hte tips about the boss's bags on fire mountain gems I browse there once in a while but hadn't run into those.

Dorlissa

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 29, 2008 7:46 PM

My box went in the mail today. Some were some old plastic beads, some old glass that I wasn't using anymore. Also some new beads that I thought they may enjoy as well as some elastic.

I'll keep you guys in mind so that I can watch for some sales.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Thecatdragon wrote
on Aug 31, 2008 9:00 AM

Thanks Sheila H. we'll be looking for it.  Also I'm going to start putting thanks on my blog only to make it easier and I hopefully don't miss anyone.Smile

Dorlissa

www.beadsforseniors.blogspot.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 35
MonicaP@10 wrote
on Sep 3, 2008 1:22 PM

I tried to comment on the blog, but it required some kind of log in???

Anyway, my box from Fire Mountain should be delivered tomorrow. I'll be excited to get home from work! I went through some of my beads and made a few baggies too. So another package will be on its way to you soon! Big Smile

Monica

La Mariposa Gallery
www.lamariposagallery.com

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS