Son with Mono!

This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 20, 2008 6:18 AM

Okay, so my 17 yr old son has occasionally running a fever. We took him to the doctor back in mid July and the tests were normal. He started with a fever again this past Thursday night. Hubby took him to dr again on Monday morning. The in office test for strep and mono was normal. So hubby politely explained that we would need blood work to find out what was going on. No 17 yr old boy voluntarily goes to bed at 8:30 pm. 

Guess what? Blood work is positive for Mono. So basically he is in bed for the next 2 weeks minimum. What fun are we having?!?

Anyway...just thought I would share. Not the mono though -  No thanks!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,258
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Aug 20, 2008 7:26 AM

Sheila,

Glad you finally figured out what was causing your son's fevers and sluggishness. I myself have never had it, but one of my sisters had it when she was a senior in high school, and if I recall correctly she had it again a couple of years ago (in her late 40's) Come to think of it her son also had it when he was a jounior in high school. If you son has a girlfreind ( which I think you mentioned he did) and have been locking lipsEmbarrassed she may have passed it to him. It used to be called the kissing disease because it passed by saliva. 

Hope your son is feeling better soon. It will take lots of rest even when he starts feeling a little better he still needs to take it easy and get plenty of rest for fear of relapse.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

wrote
on Aug 20, 2008 7:32 AM

Bummer!  Sorry to hear that Sheila, hope he feels better soon!  I never had it either but various friends have had it, so I know it's no fun.

My little guy's had a bit of a cold this past week and has been keeping us up nights.  Not quite the same thing, but it's tough when you've had no sleep.  I'm wondering if he's getting new molars as well, because his gums are really hard and he keeps chewing on his fingers & tugging at his ears and he's VERY discontent about everything.  I didn't think he was due for more teeth for a few months yet, but I guess there's no real time schedule for them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,258
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Aug 20, 2008 8:00 AM

Jeni,

Sorry to hear that you little one isn't up to code either.Ick! He may be cutting teeth for he is at that age. He is about the same age as my great grandson who was born March 3 2007 and he is cuttng teeth again.

Excuse me for setting out of bounds. I don't mean to be a meddling old lady, but for what it may be worth. It might be wise to take him into the clinic and have his ears cheeked out. A sign of ear infection is pulling on the ears. Best to have that cheeked out it isn't unusual for a little one to get ear infections. But left untreated could cause loss of hearing to some degree.Not to mention very painful. Now don't let me scare you it would take a long time of no treatment before that causes a loss. But ear infections are very painful and could cause him not to sleep well  which will keep you up as well. But I bet you have already made an appointment for him and I am just being a granmotherly person that can't mind her own business.Big Smile

Hope all is well in you home again soon. For when the little one is sick no one gets any sleep or time without baby in arms walking the floors. Boy am I glad I am a gradmother and get to send them home when they don't feel up to code.Big Smile

Please forgive me if I have stepped on your toes in any way.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

wrote
on Aug 20, 2008 8:07 AM

I don't think you're meddling Sue.  I had the ear infection thought as well, so I'm keeping an eye out.  He had one once, but he doesn't have any of the same signs that he did then so far. Apparently the ear-tugging is a teething sign as well, so it's just a wait and see game right now. 

I do with the Grandparents were a bit closer though.  They'd like to see him, and we'd love to send him off to them from time to time!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,258
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Aug 20, 2008 8:30 AM

Yes, And I do feel your parents loss. If I couldn't see my grandkids for whatever reason I would be very sad.

Today in just about an hour I am going to watch my two great granddaughters. They are 4 1/2 and 3 they are a handfull together. They both want 100% attention. I prefer to keep them one at a time for that reason. I feel like I am cheating them if I have to devide my attention.  I do love them dearly though. Sammy is going with his mother today so I will more than likely take the two girls to the park where they just love to play. It is sort of on the cooler side today (so far) still not the heat of the day. It says on my computer that the present temp. is 66 beautiful for me. This would be a nice day to play golf. Oh well I promised yesteday that I would do this for her. She doesn't have a Mom or other grandparents so she counts on me and always has. She was always able to open up to me and I would listen (really listen) and she has aways turned to me. She sends me mother's day cards. Her mom is ill with bypolar and she doesn't take her meds and is deep into drugs. My son has done the best he could when his wife left without a word to the kids before she disapered for a couple of years. My grandkids were 11 and 15 at the time. When they really needed a Mom she was gone, and that is why I have had my grandson for nearly 8 years and my granddughter has always turned to me. Now the Mom is back in the area and want to spend time with the kids, but won't give up the drugs , so neither want to see her. I mean hard core drugs. There other grandparents have long since passed when they were very young. Okay enough sob sob.[:'(] I just gave out my life story on the internet. Oh well I will only have to move away and change my name forever.Cool

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

wrote
on Aug 20, 2008 8:38 AM

It's great that you're willing to do that.  My mom in law's "mom" is the same way.  She lived with her & her husband for years after her family disolved in a similar fashion, and she may as well be family in all but actual genes.  I've long since adopted her as my Grandma too, since both of mine passed away years ago.

Mr. Man loves to go to the park.  There's a good play area where we're going for our vacation, as well as a big swimming pool, so we shouldn't have much problem keeping him occupied.  He's been watching Olympic swimming/diving on TV, and that's all I hear about: "mimming", "plash" and "bubbles".  It melts my heart every time!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 20, 2008 9:39 AM

Sorry to hear about the kidlet! It is tough when you can't make them feel beter no matter what the age! 

Yes I called my son's girlfriend. She was on a speaker phone and the first thing her mom asked was could the girlfriend get it. I said possible ( My first thought was who gave it to who? We will never know and it doesn't matter. Just have to get it gone ). 

Anyway, on the ear infection thing, one old trick it to use a hair dryer and blow softly warm air into the ear. If he settles down, it is an ear infection. Sometimes I think the pressure from the teeth pushing causes the pressure in the ear canal to change thus the pain. Chewing may help ease it like popping your ears with chewing gum when on air planes. 

Too technical but that is my thought.  Anyway...good luck with kidlet Jen. 

Sue - Good lick with watching the grandkids! What would parents do without the grandparents? It is definitely tougher. 

wrote
on Aug 21, 2008 12:54 AM

I hadn't heard the hair dryer trick.  I'll have to give that a go.  So far this morning he seems to be doing well.  He had a good long nap yesterday and great night's sleep last night so hopefully that will help a bit.  He doesn't seem to be coughing or dripping at the nose as much today either, so hopefully he's on the upswing now.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 21, 2008 6:19 AM

As bas as this sounds, with my son down with mono I have been very productive. I am one of those mom's that even with him being 17 yrs old, I still feel like I need to be there in case he needs something. I know, I will have to get over that I know I know!!!

Anyway, since I do simple stringing I was able to do 2 necklaces and about 5 bracelets   ( stretchy ). So maybe for me this has been a good thing. 

He went 12 hours without a fever without Tylenol. First time since last Thursday! Also, last night he was awake for 45 minutes and ate 2 jello cups with a small can of soup. The first food since Saturday. The poor thing will be wasting away to nothing. 

I feel better since he ate a little something. My house is stocked with disposable everything. Toothbrushes, cups, plastic silverware. You name it it is all being pitched!

Thanks for "listening"!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
crafty-cat wrote
on Aug 25, 2008 2:18 PM

Commerisations to all with sick kids. Nothing worse than not being able to make your kids get better!

I've had a tough few weeks - with my daughter having had 2 ear infections, and my son with colds. In the last 3 weeks of school they've both been at school 5 days and one or other has been home the rest of the time. Hit the jackpot on friday with both of them home! 

They're both back at school this week, and hopefully with the spring warmer weather coming, the amount of bugs will ease off. We've had so much rain that everyone is cooped up inside so all the bugs are spreading like wildfire at school

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Aug 25, 2008 2:38 PM

Wish your son a speedy recovery.

My doc told me I had mono when I was 24 ... I'm now 34 and still have after effects cause I got declared well to early ... Lets hopes the medication has had some advances the last 10 years.

Good luck and get well.
Inca

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 25, 2008 4:32 PM

They don't give medicine here. The doctor said it is a virus that needs to run its course. I do worry about long term effects. According to what I read on the internet, it will forever be there lurking ready to hit him again anytime.

I do worry about him getting back to things too quickly. He was feeling better enough today to do some of his homework.

Hopefully he will go back to school next week. That will be two weeks from diagnosis so the school will allow him back.

Sorry to hear about your kids. How old are they? It is awful when you just want to make them better and can't. Hopefully yours will be back up to speed quickly!

Wishing you & yours the best of health!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS