Help Some Newbeads (Newbies)! What's on your bookshelf?

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 212
Trishie33 wrote
on Sep 18, 2011 8:58 AM

I thought that this would be a great post to help guide some newbies through the ocean of beading books out there.   Beaders can list the books that are on their shelves, and indicate their favorite.  I hope to keep this going as a service to our new beading friends.  I got all of these books from Amazon.com.

I will start:

What's on my Bookshelf:

Beading With Cabochons - Jaimie Cloud Eakin - Love it!

Mastering the Art of Beading - Genevieve A. Sterbenz - Nice book on different beading techniques from stringing and beading to simple wire-wrapping.   Haven't tried any projects yet.

Beaded Allure - Kelly Weise - Lovely book with really feminine pieces.

Out On a Loom - Margie Deeb (Just got this one.  Haven't read through it yet)

The Art of Bead Embroidery - Heidi Kummli & Sherri Serafini -   Nice starter book on bead embroidery.

Beaded Opulence - Marcia DeCoster - Beautiful book.  Haven't tried any of the projects yet.

The Beader's Color Palette
- Margie Deeb - Great textbook for color theory. 

Beaded Colorways - Beverly Ash Gilbert - Another great color theory book.

Mastering Beadwork - Carol Cypher Huber - A must in every beader's library.  This is the first book I bought on beading.

Your Seed Bead Style
- Editors of  Bead & Button Magazine

Zulu Beadwork - Diane Fitzgerald

Indian Beadweaving Patterns - Horace Goodhue - Another important book for beaders.  Another one of the books I visit often.

Designer Bead Embroidery - Kenneth D. King

Sensational Bead Embroidery - Sherry Serafini - One of my favorites.

What I Ordered Recently:

Art & Elegance of Beadweaving - Carol Wilcox Wells
Embellished Beadweaving - Laura McCabe
Beadwork Creates Beaded Rings - Jean Campbell

Wish List:

Dimensional Bead Embroidery - Jaime Cloud Eakin (Waiting for this for a year folks!!!)

Favorite(s):

Beading With Cabochons
Sensational Bead Embroidery
Indian Beadweaving Patterns

You know...listing these books I just realized that I haven't bought one novel in two years?  They're all beading books!  LOL!

Lock up your supplies! No bead is safe from my needles! Stick out tongue

Shop

Blog

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 363
Ruth. wrote
on Sep 18, 2011 11:54 AM

Did you find that The Art of Bead Embroidery was more through in their directions than Sensational Bead Embroidery? I have both and thought the first one was more comprehensive from a start to finish basis. Did you know Heidi has a new book coming out soon?

Every time I go to bid on the Art and Elegance of Beadweaving on Ebay I get outbid :( You'll have to let me know how it is.

I have all of the master class series from Lark books except Maggie Meister's Classical Elegance. I have been waiting to see it all in person at the book store since I feel that the last book Bead Riffs from Rachael Nelson-Smith was a little flat for me as a beader. Lark gave away 2 of the best patterns from that book on their website, had I of known that I would have never bought it. You'll like Embellished Beadweaving (Can't go wrong with Laura!).

Shippensburg Pennsylvania - about 30 minutes from Gettysburg

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 212
Trishie33 wrote
on Sep 18, 2011 12:53 PM

I got The Art and Elegance of Beadweaving for $6.95 on Amazon.com.  I love the Master Class series of books and I want to try and get as many as I can! 

Lock up your supplies! No bead is safe from my needles! Stick out tongue

Shop

Blog

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,328
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 18, 2011 8:01 PM

here are my all time favorites in addition to some you already mentioned.

Bracelets, buttons, and brooches.   by Jane Davis. 20 projects using innovative beading techniques. 2007 published by Krause Publications.

All Wired Up.   by Mark Lareaqu.   touches on a lot of  different basic and not so basic wire working techniques

Seed Bead Stitching both editions, by Beth Stone. creative variations on Traditional techniques

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 159
on Mar 11, 2013 8:38 PM

Mastering Beadwork by CCH.  I love this book, always go back and have a look when I'm stuck for an idea.

Beading and Beyond (book 1 n 2) by Sheila Carey

Bead Craft Mascot Animals - Japanese book - wire craft

Petit Boutique series - 1 book - Japanese - wire craft

Bead Crochet Basics - Mary Libby Neiman

Glass Bead Artistry - Ondori - Japanese - wire craft

Heart Warming Life Series - 1 book - Japanese - wire craft 

4 Bead n Button magazines - 2012

7 Australian Beading magazines 2012

2 Chinese Mini Books on beading with crystals

Most recent purchase:

Shaped Beadwork, and The Beaded Garden, by Diane Fitzgerald - Haven't made anything from these yet.

I love looking at the photos mainly, I have tried some patterns, mostly fail, but I think it all comes down to practice! The Japanese wire craft books, I use them as ideas for square stitch, since I suck at wire bending!!Sad

My wishlist:

Erin Simonetti's new loom book

Not Ranked
Posts 1
hbandrsn wrote
on Nov 2, 2013 8:16 AM

I started out with two books:  Basic Jewelry Making  (Stackpole Books, 2006) for stringing and basic wirework, and Teach Yourself Visually Beadwork (Wiley Publishing, 2009) for bead weaving.  These were my gateway books.  I now have about 10 others, but these (and a young daughter who wanted bling for Christmas) got me started about a year ago. Big Smile  

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Jcblue87 wrote
on Nov 5, 2013 5:54 AM
thanks..what is the book for beginners?
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS