bezelling

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 3
garybenidorm wrote
on Sep 4, 2011 7:48 PM

Hi there,

English guy here soon to move back to Spain, where I lived for 25 years before a break of around 10 months back in the UK, which is how I discovered a bit of a talent for making jewellery - and love every aspect of it!!

My question is, would anyone have any idea how to bezel a ceramic tile?

I have come into possession of some unused small square & rectangular ceramic tiles in beautiful colours, and thought they would make rather stunning pendants. I have wire wrapped a couple and they look fine, but would like to do something different with the rest, i.e. bead them with seed beads.

The squares  measure 2cm x 2cm but are 7mm thick, whereas the rectangles are only 4mm thick and 4cm x 1.5cm.

Any ideas?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,472
D.M.Z wrote
on Sep 4, 2011 8:42 PM

Look at some of the recent articles on netting. With netting  you can span a thicker piece with no problem. The current issue of Beadwork has a nice article called Brilliant Bezels................ also, same issue is Gypsy Gem Bracelet where a largish stone is bezeled in netting. Donna

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 348
Chibabies6 wrote
on Sep 5, 2011 9:09 AM

Take a look at this free pattern from B&B .. it's a bracelet bezel setting different shaped cabs but the instructions are nice to have because it covers bezel setting corners and rounds, triangles and squares etc..

http://bnb.jewelrymakingmagazines.com/Projects/Free%20Projects/2009/04/Stones%20with%20corners.aspx

Michelle K.

Follow my As They Grow project..  weekly pictures of my 3 chihuahuas from birth to age 1.

http://chibeads.shutterfly.com/

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 588
NicoleT24 wrote
on Sep 5, 2011 10:17 AM

You should be able to bezel them like you would anything else, you'll probably just need to add more rows! It might take some trial and error but it should work great! Your stitch choices are peyote, right angle weave or netting. they should all work just fine! With something that thick, I might try right angle first ... it seems to be the most flexible for thicker pieces. But any of those stitches should work.

Since they're squares and rectangles you'll have to cope with the corners.. with RAW, that should be easy, with peyote, you're going to have to do some decreases when you come to the corners (or use herringbone/ndebele for the corners).

I never thought of using ceramic tiles! That's a GREAT idea! Will you post what you do with them when you're done? I'd LOVE to see! :) 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
garybenidorm wrote
on Sep 5, 2011 1:07 PM

Never used netting before - I suppose now is as good a time as any to start practising!!

Many thanks for the suggestions guys - I'll get beading and let you know how I get on.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS