Making Spirals

This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
anitaroy54 wrote
on Aug 8, 2011 1:50 PM

I am a new beader and am having a lot of fun with it. I am however stuck with the process of making spirals. I understand one is supposed to hold the spiral with a flat nose pliers, and turn and push, but when I do so, the spiral keeps slipping. In fact, to prevent it from slipping I have to hold it so tight that the spiral gets flattened. The process appears relatively simply, and I am able to do it, but this seems to be a problem I am unable to find a solution.

I wonder if someone can help me.

Thanks so much!

Anita

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,904
SEllen 2 wrote
on Aug 9, 2011 3:20 PM

Hi Anita,

Mine use to do that too. Then I started using nylon jawed pliers and they grip the wire much better and don't leave tool marks.

You can probably find these anywhere that would sell the wire. (I shop on-line so I can't tell you what retail store might have them.)

Good Luck

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Not Ranked
Posts 3
anitaroy54 wrote
on Aug 10, 2011 7:04 AM

Thanks Sellen!

I have used that too, but it slips there too I learnt from some video that one is supposed to hold the spiral at the lower end of the flat nose spiral.. but it hasn't worked for me! Seems I'm just missing something there..

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,904
SEllen 2 wrote
on Aug 10, 2011 3:06 PM

Anita,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Sad

I tried to write out how I make mine but it's kinda hard to find the right words. I could show you no problem but since you can't see my hands on the screen I guess that wouldn't really help. Tongue Tied

I can't remember if it was a written description or a video that got the light Idea to click on for me. I'll check my books and on line and if I can find it I will post it here to see if it will help.

Sorry I wasn't of more help hang in there you'll get it.

Edited to add link: http://www.beadingdaily.com/glossary/perfecting-the-wire-spiral-free-video-class.aspx this is a good video to check your technique.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Not Ranked
Posts 3
scrimmer1 wrote
on Aug 17, 2011 2:33 PM

Several factors can come into play when  learning to make spirals.  One is the temper of your wire, such as is it dead soft or half hard and the size you are using.  Yes, working the spiral in the back of the flat nose pliers is correct, it gives you more control.   You use your thumb to walk the wire around as you shift the pliers and gently turn.  Adjusting the pressure you are using also comes into play. so you don't have a death grip on the wire and leave marks.   There are several different sites with tutorials to show you how to do spirals.  Take a look at www.beaducation.com since they have an excellent one and then check out www.wire-sculpture.com for stuff as well.

Scrimshaw Mary

Not Ranked
Posts 3
anitaroy54 wrote
on Aug 17, 2011 8:12 PM

Thanks Mary!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 32
on Aug 19, 2011 5:29 AM

You can try going through this video on how to make spirals. She does it very good. It requires loads of practice to get it right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98ldk-aUGm0

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Feb 25, 2013 10:01 AM

I have a Coiling Gizmo, I use it with 20 gauge wire. It works great for making spirals.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
dolfinchris wrote
on Mar 26, 2013 5:22 AM

Yes, I have same opinion..20 gauge wire would be suitable for making spirals

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 32
Summer152 wrote
on Apr 13, 2013 1:38 AM

I have the same problem. I think i should have a try.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 462
shanks wrote
on Apr 13, 2013 2:05 PM

Since I am an old duffer, and not known for how not to do something, I started making spirals using my soft nosed pliers.  Still do it with the soft nose pliers. Holding the wire in my left hand and the wire in the pliers, just make a very short turn to the left with the pliers. Keep doing the short turns with the wire snug against the started coil in the plier, and the first thing you know, you have a beautiful spiral. No limit as to the size.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS