Keeping track of peyote stitch pattern

This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Aug 6, 2011 9:07 AM

I am new to the delights of peyote stitch patterns.  What are some techniques for keeping track of where I am on each row?  Are sticky notes the easiest way?  I have tried overlapping the blank graph layout, but often the actual pattern is a different size from the generic graph layout sheets.  Thank you.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 567
Beadiecat wrote
on Aug 6, 2011 11:50 AM

What I do is put the pattern inside a plastic sleeve, like the kind you use to hold paper in a three-ring binder.  Then I mark on the plastic with a dry-erase marker as I complete each row.  You can even put a dot with the marker in each bead space if you want.  Sometimes I also enlarge the pattern on a copy machine to make it easier to see before I put it in the sleeve.

Hope this helps!

Cat

The Cat's Meow Blog

My RebelMouse page and Etsy shop

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Aug 11, 2011 6:51 AM

good idea, Beadiecat! I too have a problem keeping track within the pattern. I've not done many patterned ones because of it. Also, maybe bc I'm a "Lefty", but my brain must work differently, bc I HAVE to have the pattern turned the way I am stitching in order to make sense of it. Now, saying that, I will probably need to figure out a way to copy the pattern in reverse to put on the back side of the sheet, since I "flip" my work, instead of working down to up, up to down. Does that make sense? I'm a very VISUAL person, and for example, starting a herringbone stitch with the ladder stitch I feel like I'm in remedial stitching, pre-101!!! Takes me awhile to get the darned thing started, but then I'm fine! Will keep watching this thread for other helpful ideas!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 72
tiger@4 wrote
on Aug 11, 2011 9:44 AM

Untmom if to scan your pattern into the computer then you can flip it round so the pattern is right for you, or start your pattern form the other side. Hope this may help you. But tell you the truth I am always turning my patterns as I work so I know where I am and I am right handed.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
judithannh wrote
on Aug 12, 2011 8:57 PM

Fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing. I will use it in many other ways as well. Great idea.

Judy

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 96
on May 15, 2012 12:50 PM

That is a great idea, I haven't done very many patterns because I struggle following them.  I am going to try this next time.

Thanks,

Teresa

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 96
on Nov 16, 2012 10:37 AM

That is a good question.  I have struggled with this. I have used a ruler which not good but I have muddled through it.

Teresa

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 96
on Nov 16, 2012 10:37 AM

That is a good question.  I have struggled with this. I have used a ruler which not good but I have muddled through it.

Teresa

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 96
on Nov 16, 2012 10:38 AM

I am going to try this the next time I do one of my patterns.

Teresa

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS