Beading a Magnetic Clasp

This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 21
SandraJ@20 wrote
on Aug 1, 2011 2:55 PM

I'm wanting to bead a magnetic clasp.  Yes, they have a little "thread hole" at each end, but I'm not sure how to go about actually getting the beads to stay in place on the sides of the magnetic clasp.  If anyone has any ideas/instructions you can point me to, I'd be very appreciative.  I know Leslie Rogowski has spoken about doing it, but I don't remember ever seeing a demonstration.

Thanks in advance.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 539
Emma.J wrote
on Aug 1, 2011 6:58 PM

Hey Sandra,

I actually did one of these a few weeks ago and attatched it to a 6 bead base herringbone rope. After I had finished the rope, using the tail ends of my thread, I anchored the magnetic clasp to the rope (just weaving in through some beads, through the hole, back through more beads) until I knew it was tightly anchored.

Then, exiting one of my beads I would start herringbone stitch again, enclosing the clasp, increasing by adding beads between each stitch as the clasp got fatter. Then when my clasp was just covered, I beaded little picots at the top of each stitch for a neater finish.

I hope that this has helped you.. I'm not very good at giving instructions Embarrassed. If you have any questions I can try and answer them. Lol.

Emma
xXx

Not Ranked
Posts 21
SandraJ@20 wrote
on Aug 15, 2011 9:50 PM

Emma,

Thanks bunches for the instructions (which WERE very good btw).  I"m anxious to try it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,276
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 8, 2011 11:50 AM

If I remember correctly, I believe there are directions for doing this in this months B&B magazine.

Hope this helps.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,276
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 9, 2011 1:32 PM

I stand corrected. It was in the new Beadwork Magazine on page 16.

Sorry for the confussion.

Happy Beading

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Diva@4 wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 10:15 AM

Hi,

I am looking for those instructions you were referring to in Beadwork, but I am unable to identify which magazine it is for sure.  I would like to be certain before I buy online, so would appreciate it greatly if you could tell me what the cover picture was on that issue?  I have a couple of necklaces waiting to be finished only because I can't figure out the best way to bead around the magnetic clasps I have.

Thank you,

Dayo 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 565
Beadiecat wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 5:26 PM

It was the Beadwork October/November 2011 issue, and the instructions are indeed on page 16.  It has a picture of a V-shaped Tila bead necklace and a key-shaped pendant on the cover

Cat

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS