School has started!

This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 12, 2008 5:39 PM

Today was the first day of school for my son. YEAH! However, this is his senior year so his time with us is limited until he leaves for college. I am glad that school has started as it gets him back into a regular routine which then helps hubby and I to be in a more normal routine.

Mornings for hubby and I start at 5am 12 days out of 14 so being kept awake late or woke up in the middle of the night by him playing guitar etc does take it's toll.

Although, this time next year, I will be crying that he is not here to wake me up with his impromptu guitar solos. He practices every night at 9 pm. I swear that it is what helps me to relax and go to sleep sometimes. I keep telling him that he will have to make me a cd so that I can survive the college years.

Anyway...Yeah school is back in session...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Aug 13, 2008 2:58 AM

Hi Sheila,

I'm with you, I am so glad that we're gearing up for school.  I've not been working so the summer has been rather boring, even with my beading.  The regular routine will be so welcome; I do volunteer work at my son's high school, at least until I can find a real job.

I can also understand the bittersweet feelings of seeing our boys off to college.  My son is only a sophomore, but when he graduated from 8th grade, it hit me that I only had 4 years left with him being with me.  Now I'm down to 3, and he's my one and only.   [:'(]   If I remember correctly, you have your nephew living with you now.  Do you have any other kids or just the one son?

Great to know another music-mom!  We've had some kind of music in our house since he was in 4th grade and started with the clarinet.  5th grade he switched to trumpet and in 7th grade he again switched to brass baritone.  He still plays his trumpet for jazz bands, but mostly plays baritone for marching band and concert band.  His band director (such a terrific teacher, person and role model) taught him military reveille this past year so for several months until summer break, he'd wake me up by playing it (made me happy, I'm an Army Vet).  Isn't it a funny thing how the middle-of-the-night music wakes us up, but the absence of their music is equally unnerving.  I don't know how your son's school is set up, but ours here has a great sound room with recording equipment and such.  If your school has something like it, now's a great time to get your son and whoever else plays the music with him to make that cd for you and possibly the other parents, or girlfriends/boyfriends, grandparents, etc.

Hope you have/are having/had a great day!

Dawn

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 13, 2008 10:43 AM

We only have the one son. Last weekend my nephew informed us that he is going back to his mom's. ( Much against our wishes as we are concerned that he will not graduate ). He will also be a senior. 

My son enjoys his music but does not want to be in the school band. He is into his punk music and the school is not. He goes into a lesson each week but the instructor told us a long time ago that he was not teaching him anything. I told the instructor that as long as my son was enjoying it, I did not care. 

wrote
on Aug 14, 2008 1:27 AM

As long as he's having fun, that's the main thing.  When we first moved to OK years ago my bro-in law (then about 20) was teaching himself guitar.  He used to play the same song ad infinitem, and I thought I'd never want to hear it again!  Thankfully he has progressed since then.  I do miss the family get togethers for music nights though.  Everyone would bring all their music gear and we'd butcher whatever songs we knew until we ran out of steam.

I can't wait to start teaching kidlet about music.  I'm thinking of toy instruments for Christmas/bday.  He was walking around yesterday with a long Lincoln Log trying to play it like a recorder, and he doesn't even know what one is!  He does have a kazoo though, so maybe that's what he was trying to do.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 14, 2008 4:13 AM

We have always listened to music. It is always on in the car. My son listens to the music channels on the dish ( no video just the music ). He is music music music!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 14, 2008 4:08 PM

School starts on the 28th here. I don't know why it is starting on a Thursday, but it is this year and the first day is only going to be a half day. What's up with that? They go a half day, a whole day, then 2 days off, THEN they start a normal schedule. I just don't get it. It don't make no sense. Meh, whatever.

I'm and old rock and roll and blues man mainly. I came up in a very musical family on my Mom's side. We used to get together at one or the others house one friday night a month and all the brothers would break out the guitar's banjo's, pedel steel's, fiddles(violins for you city folk *grinz*), mandolin's and dobro's. One of my aunts played piano and she would join in where there was a piano available. We didn't have electronic keyboards back then. They played mostly country and bluegrass with a little rockabilly stuff thrown in for good measure. As their kids got older, they brought good ole southern rock and R&B into the picture. Sadly, all of the brothers except 2 are gone and one of them is in bad shape, so the music is dying in our family.

I keep the radio tuned into the classic rock or the classic R&B channels in truck, at the shop and on the home stereo when the TV isn't on. I play a lot of Native Flute music when I meditate.  I can't play any instruments to speak of because of my short fat fingers, well, short anyway. There isn't anything fat about me anymore. *laughz* I can play a half dozen songs on my daughter's Yamaha Professional keyboard and I can play a recorder/piccolo by sheet music, but that's about it. I had a wonderful hand made wooden recorder that was made in New Mexico, but it got broken and I haven't found another like it. I have a bamboo recorder, but it sounds HORRIBLE, so I don't play it. Maybe I'll run across another good one one day.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

wrote
on Aug 15, 2008 12:29 AM

Yes, we're always listening to music here too.  We're an eclectic bunch.  We listen to everything from oldies & classical to heavy metal & the occasional rap song.  Personally I'm a huge fan of 80's & British bands (Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode, Smiths, etc).  I could just as easily be listening to Metallica, the Carpenters or Toby Keith, however.  I usually set my iPod on random and listen to whatever comes on. 

Kidlet hears nursery rhymes on the baby tv channel we have over here, but he listens to our music just as often.  I have to admit, it's hilarious watching him do the Hokey Pokey, though.  I need to get some video of that.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 15, 2008 5:03 AM

Yes we are ecclectic with our music too. Now our son is punk so NOFX, The Horror Pops, etc.

In my car I have a 6 CD changer in the dash so I have Celine Dion, Puddle of Mudd, Train, Ricky Martin, one of my sons, and something else that escapes me at the moment, I think it is a compulation type cd. I know exactly which cd is in each spot so depending on my mood, I hit the select button.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS