Ribbon Pin Fundraisers

This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 502
Editor
on Aug 11, 2008 8:16 AM

I'd love to hear about any activities related to the ribbon pins.  Anyone planning on creating one for a special charity?  Please feel free to share the details here on the forum!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Aug 11, 2008 1:34 PM

Best I've done so far is a number of pink ribbons for breast cancer.  Can't seem to figure out how to secure them at the crossovef.  And I need a way to fasten them to clothing.

I'm thinking about using hot glue, and pushing a headpin through from the top sides and cementing a small flat pink or red stone onto the head.   - Red for those who went under the knife whether they had cancer or not..-

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
KarenC@129 wrote
on Aug 11, 2008 3:00 PM

I wouldn't mind making some, but would then want to ship them to someone else to sell them. I'm not into the "selling/getting rid of part" of doing this work. So, let me know if this is doable. Probably, I'll make my own design, assuming that is okay. If someone responds to this, please email me directly at karen@kcEnamels.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 11, 2008 4:22 PM

Stan - Would it be too big of a pain to sew one small bead at the crossover? You could knot it on the back side. Just a thought but it may be easier to just use a touch of hot glue...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 11, 2008 7:06 PM

I made a bunch of pink ones for Breast Cancer Awareness and purple ones for the Relay For Life on plastic canvas. I have 3 different sizes that I make, but I haven't made any lately. I never thought about beading them. Maybe beading on the plastic canvas. E beads have a big enough hole for the yarn to go through and that might just look good. I'll have to make one and see how it looks.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Not Ranked
Posts 23
KerrieSlade wrote
on Aug 28, 2008 1:21 AM

Anyone having a go at the ribbon pins and got any fundraising stories or pictures to share?

I know of a few groups here in the UK who have downloaded the pattern and are having a 'bead in' to make as many pins as possible to raise money for their favorite charity.

Lots of people have contacted me too about their own personal plans to raise funds - why not share your stories here Big Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Aug 28, 2008 8:59 AM

Billy,

My problem with beading Awareness ribbons is trying to cross the ribbon and making it stay there, and having some way to attach them to a collar, etc.

I did them as square stitch, size 11 pink seed beads, using Nymo thread.  I have tried to sew them together, but it does NOT look right.

I am cosidering Hot glue and headpins.  If it works, I can glue a colored bead on the pin after pushing it through the crossover.  If I do, I'll make some with a red bead on the headpin, for those who went 'under the knife'.

Any suggestions/ideas anyone??

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Not Ranked
Posts 23
KerrieSlade wrote
on Aug 28, 2008 9:22 AM

Hi Stan;

Hope you don't mind me butting in on your message to Billy Smile

The ribbon pins that Michelle and I mentioned are the ones on the current Beading Daily fundraiser.

I made these using brick stitch, and then it's fairly straightforward to fold the finished stitched length into the familiar ribbon pin shape and sew through the edge beads to hold it in place.  I'm not sure if square stitch would work the same - it's been a long time since I used that Smile

I used a stick pin/hat pin attached to the back of the beadwork  to enable the piece to be attached to clothing and it seems to stay in place ok.

Hope that helps Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
KayD@8 Yes [Y] wrote
on Aug 28, 2008 1:14 PM

The hospital I work for is hosting its annual Breast Cancer Awareness Luncheon in October so of course when I saw the pattern for the ribbon I had to order it. I am making 100 so that everyone at the lunch will have one to wear.  I am doing it in honor of a old friend who is a 3 year survior and a new friend who just found out a few weeks ago that she has breast cancer.

I love the pattern!!

Kay

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Aug 28, 2008 7:30 PM

Hey, no problem, and thanks.  This is that kind of place, we're ALL that kind of people, 'cause all the others don't stay.  I'll take any help I can get, anywhere I can, and I'll ask where-ever I think is best.

Again, thanks Kerrie! [And you gotta be better lookin' than he is!]

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Not Ranked
Posts 23
KerrieSlade wrote
on Aug 29, 2008 2:00 AM

KayD:

I am making 100 so that everyone at the lunch will have one to wear.  I am doing it in honor of a old friend who is a 3 year survior and a new friend who just found out a few weeks ago that she has breast cancer.

I love the pattern!!

Kay

Hey thanks for sharing that Kay and glad you like the pattern Smile

That's some undertaking to make 100 of the pins, but such a great idea!  It would be fantastic to see a picture of the whole lunch party all wearing a pin - if you can organize that either share it here or email it to me Yes

Thanks again for sharing your story and my best wishes to you and your friend.

Not Ranked
Posts 23
KerrieSlade wrote
on Aug 29, 2008 2:04 AM

Stan B.:

Again, thanks Kerrie! [And you gotta be better lookin' than he is!]

Stan B.

No problem Stan Smile

I don't know about being better lookin' than Billy - I heard he has some great tatts Wink

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 244
Nemeton wrote
on Aug 29, 2008 2:08 PM

Well done with this project Kerrie - it must be a nice thought that there are hundreds of beaders out there stitching away at your design. Look forward to hearing more of their stories!

Lynn

My website: http://lynndavybeadwork.co.uk/

Not Ranked
Posts 23
KerrieSlade wrote
on Sep 2, 2008 2:42 AM

Nemeton:

Well done with this project Kerrie - it must be a nice thought that there are hundreds of beaders out there stitching away at your design. Look forward to hearing more of their stories!

Thanks Lynn Smile

Yes I've heard some lovely stories of groups getting together to make lots of these pins, in a variety of colors.  Pink for breast cancer awareness month in October seems the most popular fundraiser so far Big Smile

Anyone else got any stories to share?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS