Stringing Technique Books

This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 9, 2008 5:55 AM

Can anyone recommend a great stringing technique book? I have been doing simple stringing for about a year and would like to try to get more advanced with my technique. I know that there are different ways to string back through etc to get different looks. I have learned a few through trial and error ( ok a lot of errors ) but thought a great book would be very beneficial.

Any thoughts would be appreciated... 

wrote
on Aug 10, 2008 1:50 AM

That's a tough one for me, Sheila.  Most of the books I have are all about beadweaving and wireworking.

How about some of the "Beadwork presents" books?  They have a pretty wide variety of different ones and they combine a few different techniques.  I guess it depends whether you want to stick with just stringing or add other elements to it (headpin dangles, for example).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 10, 2008 5:54 AM

I wouldn't mind adding the headpin dangles, etc as I can do those now. I don't wire wrap loops yet as I need to practice and what gauge wire to use etc. I just don't want to have to make 100 loops like some of the designs call for. I want to keep things somewhat simple to keep the cost/labor down for the area that I live in.

People in the area are not going to pay $50-$100 for pieces even at Christmas. I have sold some that are $25-$35 but that is about the top end for this area. I will have to check out the Beadwork presents. I will stop by the book store but I was hoping someone could recommend a great one as opposed to me randomly picking one.

I don't think I want to get into weaving etc as at times I have problems with picking up the small beads and pain in my wrist & thumb. I do believe that some arthritis is starting in.

wrote
on Aug 12, 2008 6:46 AM

When I pick out books I usually try to look through them first if possible to see if the techniques are what I'm looking for, or if the patterns are interesting or give me inspiration. I love to go to Barnes & Noble or Borders and park it in the craft book section for a while!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
BlueMermaid wrote
on Aug 12, 2008 2:33 PM

I recently bought Stringing Style 2 by Jean Campbell. It has a lot of nice designs that are not beginner but not too advanced or complicated either. It's great for getting ideas. You can always take a design and change it to make it your own. I never make anything exactly like one I see anyway. I think the whole point is to get ideas and techniques, then go from there.

You can get it through this site if you want. I believe I purchased mine at JoAnn's Fabrics or Michael's (with a coupon).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 12, 2008 2:37 PM

Thanks for the info. The technique is what I am looking for. I'll take a look tomorrow. There is a JoAnn's on my way home.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,099
Sherri S. wrote
on Oct 24, 2008 9:11 PM

Sheila,

I'm a bit late in responding to your post,  but have you found a stringing techniques book yet?  If not, you might try doing a search on Amazon.com for bead stringing books and read the reviews for the books that come up.  Some of the books you can even "search inside" right from your computer.  The reviews may help you find a good one.  As a matter of fact, since I do simple stringing myself and have never taken a class (small town just like you!), I may do a search for one myself!  I've bought all of my beading books from Amazon, and they offer all books at great discounts.  In addition, if your order is $25 or more on items sold by Amazon, you'll get free shipping!

Sherri S.

Check out my Etsy Store......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6321824

Check out my Etsy Beads Store.......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7141344

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 105
elizabeth@83 wrote
on Oct 24, 2008 9:54 PM

Hi,

I have a book called "Inspirational Beading", Be Creative,

Woodlands Publishing

North American Distributors: Quilter's Resource Inc; Stonehouse Publications

New Zealand Distributors: Needlecraft Distributors

Singapore Distributor: Car Kit Pte Ltd

UK Distributor: Auscraft Publications

Sorry I cant find a website in the book

It is an Australian Book

Good Luck!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 105
elizabeth@83 wrote
on Oct 24, 2008 9:56 PM

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=inspirational+beading+be+creative&meta=

thats the link for the results when you google the book.

I really love that book, even though I have moved onto peyote etc, there are still a few cute projects in there. (There are a lot of projects).

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS