Need Glueing Help

This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Connie76903 wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 10:58 PM

Any advice on how to glue Bell Caps, the 7 prong Filligree Style, to tumbled stones?  I have glue everywhere, it is sticky, dry, clumpy, globby, and all at the same time!!  I am using E-6000.  Do I put it on the stone, the filligree legs, both??  Any advice would be helpful.  I am literally "stuck". 

Thanks, Connie 

wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 11:46 PM

I usually use a toothpick with E-6k and try to spread a relatively thin layer so it doesn't clump too much. I'd set the filigree over the stone first to see approximately where it will touch the stone, and then spread the glue inside the filigree and set it over the stone.  I like to use a small piece of cloth or t-shirt to wipe away the excess so it doesn't leave fuzzies like tissue can, or the tip of a clean toothpick to get around the edges.

That said, I'm not all that fond of E-6k because I find it a bit hard to use and it stinks, but it does work and sometimes it's exactly what you need.  I actually gave my tube of it to my hubby and he loves it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 7, 2008 1:18 PM

When I use E6K like you are, I always use a toothpick and sread a very thin layer on both pieces(like contact cement) and then wait about 5 minutes or so until it starts to tack up, then put it together and leave it alone for a few hours. Once it is dried, you can take a metal pick and kind of dig the glue out of the holes in the caps. It will be liike digging out silicone. It will come off fairly easily. I've had to dig crud out from under gled beads before and it's not too bad of a job.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Aug 7, 2008 4:17 PM

E6K - YUCK! (that's my personal opinion, of course <ha,ha>)

My DH Mike (aka "the jeweler") introduced me to Hypo Cement. It works to set "rhinestones" in costume jewelry, glue knots on stretch cord or Fireline, and bell caps onto tumbled stones, plus you can use it on all kinds of household gluing instead of Super Glue and it doesn't stink like E6K!

I would suggest slightly roughing up the stone with a file where you are going to put the bell cap, to give the surface "tooth " for the glue to hold. Swab the surfaces with alcohol to be sure they are clean. Then, put the glue on the bell cap (the filigree part) and give it a second or so to get "tacky" and then put it in place on the stone. Give it overnight or 24 hours to cure and you're finished. That's the only drawback to Hypo Cement - it doesn't dry "instantly".

Hope this helps!

Deb - AZ Bead Depot

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

wrote
on Aug 8, 2008 5:35 AM

I love the way Hype Cement works, it's just such a mess!  Is there a way to keep it from constantly flowing out of the tube as soon as you open it?  Drives me bananas!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS