Beaded Sphere

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 126
crookshanks wrote
on Aug 5, 2008 12:40 PM

I'm not going to make one right now, but I have been wondering for a while: How do you make a beaded sphere? I was thinking that eventually I could do something witha Golden Snitch because I have golden beads...

Thanx 

wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 5:33 AM

I've made one before out of bicone crystals, and I think it was a pattern from Dustin Wedekind in Beadwork for a dodecahedron.  It wasn't difficult, but I'd have to go back and look for it unless someone there in Loveland has a better memory than I do.Tongue Tied

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 367
on Aug 6, 2008 5:52 AM

Hi! Do you want to encase the sphere entirely with beads? The July/August issue of Step by Step Beads has two ways to cover a bead with beads, in projects by Diane Hertzler. One uses Carol Wilcox Wells' method of stringing "spokes" from pole to pole (or hole to hole in a bead) which can easily be adapted to completely cover your shape.

You can also methodically work circular peyote stitch, starting with one bead at one pole of your sphere, then increasing symetrically around as you head towards the equater of the sphere, then decreasing in the same pattern as you finish working towards the other pole.

Good luck and have fun!

Leslie

editor in chief

Step by Step Beads

sleeplessbeader.blogspot.com

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 113
Radiance@3 wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 8:15 AM
A couple of months ago, I found the website of a beader somewhere in Europe that had a great tutorial for spheres -- she was making them from 6mm beads, and she had little "blossoms" of five seedbeads in clusters where the larger beads connected. One of her spheres was made with lovely jade beads with white "daisies" between. I loved it, bookmarked it... and then lost all my bookmarks in a freak hard drive accident. I've never been able to find that beader again, so if anyone recognizes this description and knows that website -- please post!

Carol
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS