Metal Bookmarks

This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
mamasears wrote
on Jun 17, 2011 2:25 PM

I don't really bead, but I'd like to make some bookmarks for some gifts. Can someone tell me what supplies I need to bead one of those metal bookmarks?

Thank you

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 817
JanineB@7 wrote
on Jun 17, 2011 3:27 PM
I think that Oriental Trading has some of the Bookmark Blanks and they are reasonalbe, go to www.orientaltrading.com Janine
Not Ranked
Posts 4
mamasears wrote
on Jun 17, 2011 3:38 PM
Thanks Janine....I did see that they carry some of those, but I'm not sure what else I need to complete the project and I really don't want to use one of their kits. I want to be able to choose the beads myself.
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,947
SEllen 2 wrote
on Jun 17, 2011 3:53 PM

mamasears

It really depends on what you want it to look like.

Do you have a specific design in mind? We could probably tell you what you would need if we had a better idea of what you want it to look like.

I'd hate to give you a list of materials to make something that you don't like or isn't what you intended.Sad

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Not Ranked
Posts 4
mamasears wrote
on Jun 17, 2011 5:23 PM

That makes sense....LOL! I just want to do somthing simple...maybe a few small beads and one large one dangling from the bookmark. I have quite a few of these to make, so I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.

I saw that Oriental Trading carries some kits for this that come with the bookmark, beads, a jump ring, and an eye pin for each bookmark. This may sound really ridiculous, but I'm not totally sure how to put all that together to get what I want. I'd prefer to choose my own beads, but I looked at those to try and figure out what I need to complete this.

I am normally a scrapbooker/papercrafter, but thought it would be fun to try some beading....I feel so lost right now! Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,947
SEllen 2 wrote
on Jun 18, 2011 1:57 PM

mamasears

I took a look at the kits at Oriental Trading and since you said metal bookmark I presume you mean the crook looking one.(I hope so)Wink

What you will need for a simple one bead bookmark are:  beads, eyepins, bead caps, charms. The size of your beads will determine the size of your bead caps and length of your eyepins.

Tools you will need are Round nose pliers and chain nose pliers (make sure they are for jewelry meaning NO TEETH or they will mark up your metals.)

You will need to know how to make a simple loop and how to open and close an eyepin. (Once, formed you open and close an eyepin the same way as a jumpring. Or at least I do.)

If you don't check out this link http://www.beadingdaily.com/glossary/basic-loops-free-video-class.aspx  and

http://www.beadingdaily.com/glossary/jump-rings.aspx or for a video go here http://www.auntiesbeads.com/Split-Ring-Jump-Ring-Video_p_4167.html

Step 1 Open eye pin & slip on charm then close eye pin.  Step 2 On center of eye pin slip on a bead cap, a bead, then the another bead cap.

Step 3 Form loop at open end of eye pin.  Step 4 Once loop is formed re-open and insert into hole in metal bookmark.

Step 5 Close eye pin. You've now made your first bookmark. Congratulations!

These instructions are for materials I saw contained in the kit I looked at. There are many ways these can be made but this is just what I saw they had used.

If you need more help or have any questions just shout out or you can e-mail me directly by clicking on my avitar it will take you to my bio page then click on send e-mail.

Hope this helps Big Smile

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Not Ranked
Posts 4
mamasears wrote
on Jun 30, 2011 6:40 PM

YES! That does help....thank you so much for the information. I have my shopping list in hand and will go shopping for my supplies tomorrow! Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Flowermomi wrote
on Nov 18, 2012 8:23 AM

Thanks for the very helpful information!!  

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS