Shrink Plastic Jewelry Examples

This post has 26 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 3:30 AM

I found it at Hobby Lobby. I got 6 sheets of white for $4.99. THey have clear, inkjet, and the shrink & puff...That makes one think that it puffs somehow.

Anyway when I got home and was telling hubby that I had bought the white since I thought that would be best to have the background that I could then color, his idea was that if I tried a dark design on clear would it almost look tatoo-ish? And would some like that "idea" of a tatoo? I don't know. I did not get to try mine as my oven does not have a window to see thru...DUH?!?

I have already thought of hair barettes, pins for jackets, earrings, pendants, the list goes on and on...NEVER NEVER enough time. Darn the job that pays for it all. ( Just kidding I love my job honestly ).

Thankfully the weekend is coming up!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 4:04 AM

Oh yeah a couple of other things I forgot...Cuff Bracelets? If I can figure out something to use as a model. 

Here is another thought that I am going to try since I have one is to place a flat back crystal on one of the rings to see if it will stay and set. I know that this can be done with clay but can it be done with Shrink Plastic? 

http://www.mcgpaper.com/shrinkfilm1.html

This site has some great jewelry ideas and instructions. I printed them off to have on hand. I hope the link works. I am not good at that so sorry. 

Anyway, those are my thoughts this morning.

wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 5:04 AM

Since I qualify as a "colored person" I can say the tattoo idea would be interesting. Depending on what you were making, you could even search for tattoo "flash" designs online (the pics they post on the walls of tattoo shops for people who don't know what they want) and print them on your plastic.  Oh man, now you've got me thinking.  I bet there are some folks here who would buy that type of thing.  A cuff bracelet could be fun, as long as you can slip it on and off without it breaking.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 8:32 AM

Exactly about the cuff bracelet. I may buy a cheap one for an example. It would be all about getting the right about of room to put it over your wrist. Again, I may have to try. 

Thanks for the idea about the pics for tattoo shops!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 8:03 PM

I have several CD's worth of tatoo flash in both b/w as well as the colored versions of each design. Most are variants of old designs that are generic enough to not have to pay licensing fees. It has the typical stuff, hearts, flowers, birds, butterflies, sexy women, little devils, banners, skulls, knife and sword blades and so on and so forth. If you just want some flash to play with, I'd be more than happy to email you some of them.

Before all of my nerve damage, I used to shoot a little ink on the side. The things that I used to do freehand, I can't even do with a stencil now. Ah well, such is life. I just aimed my artistic creativity toward a direction that didn't take the chance of permanently disfiguring someone. *grinz* I still work with needles, just a different shape and size. I get stuck a lot more beading than I ever did putting on a tatoo. I don't think that I ever stuck myself with a tatoo needle unintentionally. I stcik myself a lot beading. *laughz*

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 10:59 PM

Ooh, I might take you up on that flash Billy, because I'm really thinking about trying that.  It could be a bunch of fun!  I wanted to be a tattoo artist for a long time and was about to become an apprentice, but we ended up moving and the opportunity was lost.  Ah well.  I discovered beading at about the same time and I think it's served me well, even if it's not exactly a career (yet).  I have a friend in Germany that is trying to open the first ever tatt shop on a military base, and I have to think that pendants or other jewelry with those designs could sell well for her.  Of course, I have to find out if it's still on track to open, but as of a month ago it was.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,262
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Aug 7, 2008 5:03 AM

found everything I needed to make my charms. However I am not completely happy with the results. I followed the directions and lightened my photo and also set my ink at low flow and they turn out a very dark blob. I need help! They look great out of the printer but when I shrink them the peice is very dark and can't see the picture.

I was making these for my golf group and I have spent a ton of money aiready to make what I am and it is too late to do something else. Can't afford to go another route now.

Any suggestions on how to get a picture I can see on this shrink plastic? Open to any and all ideas.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 7, 2008 8:55 AM

I have not tried this yet but my instructions said to lightly sand with 300-400 sand paper. Did you do that?

I am going to try mine tonight but I am going to use markers and pencils. I'll tell you my results later. Since my oven does not have a window in it, I did buy a small toaster oven. It was like $20. Did you use the oven or a heat gun or toaster oven? 

I know that some are for ink jet and some are for laser printers. Did you get the right paper for your printer? 

Sorry for so many questions, just trying to figure it out. I wonder if you printed it out in black on plain paper if you could use markers or paint to fill in the color and it work better? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,262
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Aug 7, 2008 9:41 AM

I bought the ink jet computer printer type. Tt says nothing about sanding so that must be for the non-printer type. I think I will try lighter prints hope that will do the trick  the pictures I used were pictures of flowers.

Thanks for answering right away.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 7, 2008 3:19 PM

I just did my first batch and I am fairly happy with them. I used one sheet of paper at simply playing around with them. Now, I bought the Bright white that you color on. I did use a small amount of sanding for most, although I tried one without sanding.

I just used cheaper markers and the color is fairly vibrant. Although, I think the lighter and brighter the better. A couple of the dark blue and purple are almost black. But the pink and red are pretty.

I used a standard hole punch and it shrunk nicely for a wire of jump ring to go through. I was surprized by how much it shrunk. I will probably have to use half the length to get one ring. I forgot the great printout for rings at work. ( This ring size chart had each ring size laid out as a flat line so I thought this would be easier to increase for the shrinking. ).

I did glue a flat back crystal to one to see how it did. I used jewlery glue to glue it on and baked it immediately. So far so good. It has cooled and it is still on. I stuck a finger nail under the edge and tried to pry it off but it stayed. I think a few of those on a ring would be very pretty, almost eternity band style. Now I have you thinking don't I?

Anyway, I will definately try it again. It will just take some playing around. If nothing else it could be something inexpensive for little girl pendants.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,262
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Aug 7, 2008 7:50 PM

I finally got some supper results.

I went back to Hobby Lobby and got some light colored printed scrapbook paper and scanned it into my Photo Smart and played with it there. When I have time to play around I will try the photos again. Photo Smart is fairly new to me so I didn't put it in there last night just used Microsoft instead. That could be where I ran into trouble. More stuff you can adjust in  Photo Smart.

Anyway things are going better now. shold have all this done in just a few days.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 8, 2008 7:54 AM

I am glad that you had some positive results. I have to say that my paper shrinks about 1/4 of the size. or me to do one ring ( I were size 9 ) I will have to use the length of one page. But the width won't be bad. The only bad thing is doing one at once. 

If you have time to post pictures of your finished piece, please do so. 

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS