Bails

This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 24
jag@2 wrote
on Aug 3, 2008 6:15 PM

Please help!  I need to make a bail and I know I have read somewhere how to make one, but I can't find it anywhere.  The "strongest" wire I have is 18ga.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
RavenBraid wrote
on Aug 3, 2008 7:36 PM

Eni Oken has some wire wrapping bail tutorials available for download, Delia Stone has some too.

wrote
on Aug 4, 2008 12:36 AM

How you make one would also depend on the type of bead you have (ie. briolette, pendant, large bead, etc).  Can you tell us or post a pic of what you have?  I could tell you how to make a relatively simple one, but I've seen articles in the mags for some really nice decorative ones.

Not Ranked
Posts 24
jag@2 wrote
on Aug 4, 2008 5:18 PM

Thank you for responding.  I have a large oval pendant with a round hole approx. 10mm round.  Any suggestions?

wrote
on Aug 5, 2008 7:18 AM

I'm guessing that the hole is at the top of the pendant, instead of a bead where the hole goes all the way through.

You can use 18 ga wire, but 20 or 22 would probably work as well.  What I would do is take a length of wire, and bend each end towards the center so they are pointing at each other and parallel to the rest of the wire, as close together as you can make them.  Make one end so you have a bit more wire than on the other.  With the end that has the longer tail, put it through the hole of your pendant front to back, and shape it so the 'U' bend anchors the pendant in place, and so the end of the shorter wire is just at the top of the pendant.  You might have to play with some scrap wire to check your measurements.  Use the longer tail of the wire you just bent to wrap a few times around both wires of the other end to secure it, and trim the excess.  Then use pliers to fold the top wires towards the back of the pendant, and you're done.

You could also take a piece of wire and bend it in half with a slightly wider 'U', bend the U shape so you can feed the ends through it to form a bail loop that can't come undone, then run the ends through the pendant and wrap both wires parallel to each other above the pendant to finish it.  Just makes sure you leave enough room between the pendant and the loop for the wraps.

I can picture exactly what I'm trying to describe, I just hope it makes sense!  If not, I'll try again or someone else can jump in...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Aug 6, 2008 2:20 PM

Hi Jeni,

I think I can picture what you're saying too, still would be terrific to see step-by-step pictures.

Didn't you say that Hubby got a new camera?  If I'm remembering correctly, then how about a different sort of partnership with him - get him to take some close-ups which you could then add directive captions to on the computer.  Gives him practice with his new camera and gives you tutorial experience, yeah?

Ciao Ciao!

D.

wrote
on Aug 7, 2008 1:28 AM

I've thought about that, or at least taking a few of my own for the class I'm preparing.  I've been a bit stuck because I'm not sure how I want to do that.  I think I probably will have him take some pics of me.  I can probably do up a bail and take some pics of it by myself though.  I'll see what I can do while kidlet is napping today.

wrote
on Aug 7, 2008 1:48 PM

You asked for it, so here it is:  my first ever photo tutorial. Big Smile I did step 1-4 pics for each of the bail designs I described, plus a pic of an even simpler chain and jumpring bail.  They aren't perfect, but at least you'll get what I was trying to describe.  I hope it's helpful!

http://gallery.mac.com/jsmaz/10032

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 7, 2008 4:00 PM

This is what I got following that link:

Web Gallery not found

You have entered an invalid or inactive Web Gallery name or address. If you believe this to be an error, check the address carefully and try again. Or contact the owner of the account.

If you are the owner, please contact http://www.apple.com/support/dotmac for assistance.

And I wanted to see it too. *heavy sigh*

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

wrote
on Aug 8, 2008 5:41 AM

Try this link instead:

http://gallery.mac.com/jsmaz#100132&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=3

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 126
crookshanks wrote
on Aug 8, 2008 10:36 AM

The new link works!

The tutorial looks nice, even though I don't really know what a Bail is...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Aug 8, 2008 12:33 PM

Jeni, the link works and I love it!  You've answered my questions about bails too, the ones I was a little shy about asking.   Embarrassed

Couple more questions -- what gauge wire did you use and what length for each bail?  Are you able to maybe add text captions to each picture, a brief description for those who might like the words to go with it?

Dawn

Not Ranked
Posts 24
jag@2 wrote
on Aug 8, 2008 1:03 PM

Jeni:

Thank you so much for the pics.  I am the original "asker" about bails and I was so busy trying to make one with just the written word that I did not go back to the forum to see if there was additional comments until today.  The pics makes all the difference.  I learn best through showing rather than reading!  I'm also glad that there was others that had questions, made me feel less than a "dummy".  Thanks again!

jag 

wrote
on Aug 10, 2008 2:25 AM

Jag, you're welcome and I'm glad it helped!  Of course you're not a dummy.

Dawn, I'm not sure the gauge of the wire, but I'd guess around 22 or so.  I just used my cheap copper play wire, and it doesn't have a gauge on the package.  I guess I need to buy one of those wire gauge measuring tools.

I think I probably used 4-5" of wire.  The first try I did was way too long, so I had to get a shorter piece and try again.  That was just a quick try to illustrate my idea; I'd have to play a bit more to perfect it.  I tried to add a bit of text in the title but for some reason it didn't end up in the gallery.  I'll have to look at it again and figure out why.  I may have to type up instructions and try to add them as a picture-don't know if I can do that or not.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 10, 2008 7:14 AM

Nice, very nice. Every step is very clear. Even without any text, you can see how it is done. Good job. Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS