Anyone know of a pattern using glass "pinch beads"?

This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 30
RavenBraid wrote
on Aug 3, 2008 6:14 PM

I bought some pinch beads on a whim, but I don't want to just string them. Has anyone seen a weaving project/pattern that uses them? or know of a book that incorporates them? 

wrote
on Aug 4, 2008 12:46 AM

I haven't seen a pattern, but I could imagine one.  Not sure if it would cover up too much of the pinch beads though.  You could use smaller sead beads and string a pinch, seed beads to equal the length of the pinch, and alternate them for the width you want.  Then string seed beads along one groove of the pinch, then a pinch over the seed beads, seed beads over the pinch, etc.  Depending on how deep the grooves are, you might have to do more than one row of seeds so the pinch's aren't rubbing against each other. 

Not sure what you'd do with it-cuff bracelet maybe?  It's just what popped into my head.  They might look good on a spiral rope as well, come to think of it.

Hope that helps!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 126
crookshanks wrote
on Aug 4, 2008 9:01 AM

I don't know what "Pinch Beads" are (sorry) but I still thought I could help: I did a Google Images Search for "Pinch Beads" and alot of jewelry pieces popped up, which could be an inspiration to use them...

I hope I helped and didn't just state the obvious.

Cool 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 30
RavenBraid wrote
on Aug 5, 2008 7:17 PM

Thanks for the tries guys! I was hoping someone with a photographic memory would refer me to xyz issue of Bead and Button from 1990-something. LOL

Leslie Frazier has a really neat pinch bead bracelet and necklace class she teaches in CA. Me being way up in CT (where famous beaders don't seem to travel much) I emailed to see if I could buy an instruction set from her.

I'd still welcome more ideas though! They have such a great geometric shape, I've been trying to weave spheres with them or triangle weave. The spiral rope idea is also worth looking into!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
lunavic wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 7:21 AM

I have seen the pinch beads used in combo with seed beads to do a herringbone bracelet.  Alternating with 3 seeds and one pinch bead for each unit.  The next row you step up and stack the pinch bead over the seeds of the previous row, sort of a checker board effect.    I have also seen the pinch beads used in bead crochet.  It looked like snakeskin.  Very sharp.  Good luck.  Show us what you come up with.

Vicki  

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 113
Radiance@3 wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 8:08 AM
Pinch beads are so similar in shape to bicones that I'd be tempted to try almost any bicone pattern! One that I know for sure works is the simple right-angle weave bracelet that I learned somewhere years ago... can't point you to a pattern, but... you just make a diamond (four pinch beads interspersed with four seed beads), then use the last point of that diamond as the first point of the next, and on until it's the length you want. Then you can weave back through to reinforce, and add seedbead picots to the edge points if you like. Simple!
Carol
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Feb 5, 2013 9:58 PM

I'm sure you have found what your looking for by now but if not... The July 2010 issue of BEADWORK has a bezel using pinch beads on page 37.

Sharon

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS