Where's Billy?

This post has 20 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 6:27 PM

Well, for better or worse, it's mine now. It's got a few battle scars and a couple of dings, but only one that I would call a dent. Actually, it's a crack in the right rear fender. The rear fenders are made of fiberglass and it looks like they may have had a blowout at some point from the small crack and the dented inner fender. The driver's lap belt is starting to ravel somewhat, and ther eis a tiny hole inthe driver's seat that looks like someone sat down with a screwdriver in their pocket. I know this because i made a mark almost exactly the same size and in the same place in a 1989 Chevy that I had. *laughz*  ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

wrote
on Aug 7, 2008 1:04 AM

Well, if you ever wanted a truck or SUV, now is certainly the time to buy one.  I'm sure the dealership loved you for taking it off their hands!  We're hoping that more diesels are available by the time we're ready to come back from overseas.  We have a European diesel BMW wagon that gets 1000km (600 miles) to a tank, and we use it for all our road trips.  It's a bit of a base model with 267km on it, but that's ok because we bought it just for the gas mileage, and it runs like a champ.  Since I don't drive too much right now, I've been holding our other car to extremely low mileage.  Hopefully we can sell both and buy a couple of diesels in a few years.  They'll be paid off by the time we're ready, so we'll have down payments for new ones.  Too bad we can't bring a European model back to the States-it would make it so much easier!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Aug 7, 2008 2:07 PM

Do the pollution control laws apply to diesels?  I do not believe so -- check it out.  Or are there ather problems?  Remember, it IS a used vehicle.

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 7, 2008 3:20 PM

Why would you do that? Diesel fuel is almost a dollar more than gasoline per gallon. Everyone that I know that have diesels don't get better than 16-18mpg. Of course, these are all pickups. One of my daughter's friends drives a mid 70's BMW diesel that was her dad's. It got about 18 mpg too. I did a rough estimate on my truck yesterday and today and it averaged out at 20mpg. Not bad for a V6 in a full size pickup. At least I don't think so.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 7, 2008 3:27 PM

Not bad Billy. My small SUV, V6 is 22 MGP. Personally anything over 20 and I am a happy lady!

wrote
on Aug 8, 2008 5:52 AM

The European diesels are different.  Hubby's car gets approx 37mpg, and that's not anywhere near the best you can do.  Mom has a diesel VW bug and it gets something like 45mpg.  Some of the other cars over here get even better than that.  It's a bit more expensive, but your dollar goes farther.

Over here, that's a bit deal because if you think $4 per gallon is a lot, Europeans pay at least 2x that, so the higher the fuel mileage, the better.

I think the main problems with bringing a Euro car back to the States is emissions and safety standards are not the same.  I have no idea what's different, but apparently it's enough to cause problems.  Hubby knows more about that than I do. 

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS