Christmas Garlands?

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on May 13, 2011 7:57 AM

Okay, sad to say but I am already thinking ahead for Christmas... ugh! Anyway, I saw a technique for a necklace on line but I think it could translate into a Christmas Garland very easily ( and not that expensive ). Like everything depends on materials used. But before I take on this project sample, I do have a couple of questions please to gather some info

1. If you put up a Christmas tree, do you use garland?

2. How long should it be? ( I know depending on the size of the tree but I am thinking an average 6 ft tree) 

3. Do you have a color preference? 

4. Should this be material only or should I dare add some drop down crystals? ( Crystals would be large plastic ones due to weight and cost so I am not sure about this )

5. Do you use same garland year after year or replace it based on color scheme of the tree?

Thanks for the info! I am going to make a small one this weekend ( hopefully! ) and I will post a picture when I get it done. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on May 13, 2011 12:35 PM

I dont know about size and that cause i usually just have a small tree ...
but I like blue on my tree ...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on May 13, 2011 2:00 PM

1. No I don't use garland. Typically I use icicles, but this past year after dealing with the strings everywhere again, I decided this coming year I may try something different, I was thinking of stringing crystals to make my own icicles I can use everywhere.

2. I have no clue dear. I want to guess 100 ft but that's only because I use that long of lights on my tree.

3. clear color preference since I like icicles :)

4. crystals would be pretty

5. Yes, I plan to start once I get my crystal icicles made :)

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 780
Tia Dalma wrote
on May 13, 2011 2:24 PM

Hi Sheila,

I also don't usually use a garland for my tree but I did when my daughter was young and would make them in school or art classes. Remeber making them out of circles of construction paper? And popcorn and cranberries!

But I would say that most of the ones I have seen come in 9 foot sections so that it is easier to wrap them on the tree, rather than 100 feet at one time (I would definitely get it all tangled up...haha). So I would think if they were 9 foot sections I would probably use five or six of them, maybe more?

I personally love to use clear lights but my husband likes multi colored lgihts...so it's different every year. But I think that using one color light does not distract from the multi color ornaments etc. So for me, I would love to see the garlands in an accent color like silver, gold or like a crystal clear sparkly type color rather than multi colored. But red would work too. 

I always love to have as big of a tree as we can get as we have 12 foot ceilings and a huge ballroom type of room in our 130 year old southern victorian style house. (I rent it, but I sure wish I could own it!) But it is a great setting for a huge tree!

If I purchased hand made garlands like you want to make, I would use them year after year! That's what I love about handmade ornaments etc. I love unpacking everything each Christmas to find all the old ornaments my grandmother made back in the 40's and 50's and all the ones we made as children. It's like a treasure chest! So I would love to see what you come up with! They would make a great addition to such a treasure chest!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 250
Claudette48 wrote
on May 13, 2011 11:33 PM

Wow!  Christmas is my favorite decorating holiday, although I do hate the crass commercial event it has become.

1.  Everything!  Ornaments, icicles, lights, garland, train with fence, big topper!  Once I took Ivory Snow Flake Detergent - do they even make it anymore????? - in the blender with a little water and poofed it and then layed some on every branch.  It looked so real.  Snow.  It looked like real snow.

2.  I don't think it depends so much on the height as it does on the circumference and the width and/or thickness of the garland.  Little tree has to have little garland, but a big tree could have either, it would just need more.   Sooooooo, my guess is no matter what size the tree is it has to be able to go around three times.  Bigger tree depending on the width could be five times.  Always odd numbers.

3.  For elegance gold or silver.  If you need it to go with a color scheme that has both, then gold and silver.  Red would be very Chritmasy, casual and cozy.  But as I was typing this I thought that a tartan plaid primarily with red with a little green would be very lovely.  You don't happen to be Scottish?.

4.  I think it depends on the "look" you're going for. - the design.  You could add little poinsettias or tiny doves from the wedding department at Michaels, sprigs of holly, etc.

5. Oh, no,  You have to keep it.  The second year it becomes a family heirloom for you, then your children, then grandchildren, all posterity to use!  If you think that color scheme might be an issue, than definitely go with gold, silver or gold and silver, then it will always go with everything.

Make sure you let us see it.  I'm sure it will be beautiful.  Thank you for making it be Christmas for a moment in May!

Claudette

amagnetaday

Claudette

Tip: To stop metal findings from tarnishing store in a ZIP Lock bag with a chunk of chalk.

amagnetaday

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on May 15, 2011 9:53 AM

Thanks for all your input. I was prepared for a varied of responses. I think it is something I am going to try. I like the idea of 9 foot sections. That makes sense. I was thinking maybe 15 foot, but 9 would work for a smaller tree too.

I bought a wine colored fabric that has a small about of shimmer to it. I think I will try it first. When I get it done, I will definitely post pictures. I am just not sure if it will scale up the way I am thinking.

Thanks for your input!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS