Mozzies

This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 26
on May 3, 2011 9:02 PM

HmmHi southern nz lady here. my question is just how do you stop those mozzies from feasting on you. I woke up this morning with at least twenty mozzie bites that are as itchy as all hell. for some particular reason thay just love to feast on me. must be something in my blood thay really just cant get enough of. I can almost here them buzzing to one another Devil

"hay who shall we feed on tonight, I know, why don't we go feast on Sonja from Christchurch," thay lick there lips with delight, "she has the most moreish blood we've ever tasted" .

I'm more that a tad fed up with them partying on me all the time to add insult to injurie it isn't even mozzie season now as down here it is late fall. don't those little blighters know thay are not supposed to be around this time of year, in the Southern Hemisphere.

I'm just greatfull that the mozzies we do have are not the ones that carry potentially fatel illnesses like Yellow fever, and the like. thay are just mega annoying. Hmm

so from one every every itchy Southern nz lady 

Regards till my next post  

P S I've accidentally posted on the same subject twice i needed to edit it  and got two don't know how to delete one

beady eyed Kiwi

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,258
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on May 4, 2011 6:46 AM

Are you referring to mosquitoes?  LOL I am from the Northern Hemisphere and we are just coming into season for those nasty little biters. We call them Michigan's state bird. (just as a joke) We had them late last season also, hopefully they will show up late this season.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 166
elysium wrote
on May 4, 2011 6:54 AM

Hi Southern Lady,

I live in MI too where there are tons of mosquitoes!!! What makes it worse is that one of my daughters is allergic to them. The best product I've ever found is this Cutters spray that you hook up to your hose outside and spray over your grass, bushes, etc. Once sprayed it lasts up to 6 weeks or so. Hope this will help!!

Stephany

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 367
BeadBarn wrote
on May 4, 2011 7:43 AM

Hi itchy lady... join the club... the bitten club... I am originally from England and I still react to these pests after 20 yrs in the states... I still look like I have swallowed golf balls when I get bit... my solution, works pretty well is (advertising here)... Avon Skin So Soft... it repels the little devils better than 'off'... I use it neat after showing or you can pour it in the bath (not so effective)... and it does keep your skin from getting dry & flaking... give it a try...

BeadBarn – Lynn

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 817
JanineB@7 wrote
on May 4, 2011 9:08 AM

I agree that Skin so Soft by Avon is the best bug repellant on the market.

My Thumbs up to it and I use it all season..

Janine

From New Hampshite

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on May 4, 2011 1:48 PM

Skin So Soft works great for me but unfortunately it doesn't work for my son. He will swell up like a gold ball from a single bite. Horrible! 

I am sorry that I can't offer any better advice other than Best of Luck! I hate those bites! A sting stick ( sticky green gel ) works great to kill it after the bite. Those can be found at any store like a wal-mart or a camping outdoor supply place. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 26
on May 5, 2011 5:42 AM

Hi sue Sonja here. that is just  what I was referring to I call them mossies because I forgot how to spell mosquitoes too bussie scratching all the bites naught naught.  

Ye I echo that sentament I just hope that down here do do not show up at all next season wishful thinking on my part, and that you have a very short season of them if not at all. Smile

regards southern nz lady

beady eyed Kiwi

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 26
on May 5, 2011 5:55 AM

Hi Stephany Southern nz lady her. I empothyse with your daughter  who is allergic to them me too. I will try to see if we can get the cutters spray down here in the Southern hemisphere  thanks for the advise. Smile

regards Sonja

beady eyed Kiwi

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 26
on May 5, 2011 6:16 AM

Hi Bead Barn Lyn thanks for the advice I will give it a try. It must be the vitamin E in it that the little devils hate. know what you mean. so does my other half he is also a walking golfball on legs during mozzie season. Wink Me I look like i have swallowed large marballs when I'm bit and I itch for weeks then just when I think there gone the same bites start to itch again. I am from New Zealand.

ARRRGGG hate those little b-gg-rs with a passion Sad

regards Southern nz lady

beady eyed Kiwi

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 26
on May 5, 2011 6:33 AM

Hi Sheila thanks for the advice sorry to hear that your son reacts the same way as my man does. when he is bitten by those little sods. 

he walks around looking like a bag of golf balls on legs.

I think we have a product like that down here will try to find it.

regards southern nz lady 

beady eyed Kiwi

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on May 8, 2011 7:45 AM

It's funny, I'm almost never bothered by mossies in the US, but when I've been overseas they must think I'm an exotic treat.  They were horrible when I went to Australia, and there was a time in Spain we went out for seafood by the river in Sevilla and they bit me all around my ankles which I didn't realize until later when they were completely swollen.  I couldn't wear anything but flip flops for days.

I'm just glad we don't have tiger mossies like they do in Italy.  Those things are the devil incarnate.

Skin So Soft works great, and Off Skintastic is pretty good also.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 26
on May 9, 2011 6:06 AM

hi your lucky that thay don't bother you at home.  Your wright even when I go to different parts of the like the North Island its as if  thay say "hay new BLOOD, lets Party party partyyy.  It must be the same thing when you travel. those UnAmerican mozzies must thing its time to Party on American blood. they probably get tired of the tast of the locals.Person hope you got over the itchees fast.

regards southern nz lady

beady eyed Kiwi

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on May 10, 2011 3:18 PM

To echo the others, Skin So Soft works great!

I tried SSS with Bug Guard and sunscreen and was not pleased! That stuff is like ringing a dinner bell - telling those flying demons to "come and get it"!

I had used some (the SSS with Bug Guard) when I was on a dig in SD and I swear the mosquitoes there were so large they could take on fuel and passengers! One of them bit me at the base of my thumb and hit the vein there. My hand was so bruised and swollen from that bite, it was hard to do anything.I could barely flex my thumb or wrist. :-(

Good Luck!

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 26
on May 11, 2011 6:05 AM

Hi and Aocch I can almost feel the bite from the other side of the world. It most have been really painful the picture I get in my mind from your post is really quite funny that of a mosquitoe getting her feul with the kidds digging her in the ribbes telling her to hurry up as thay are bored and want to get going Devil

regards Southern nz lady

beady eyed Kiwi

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS