Read and Follow Tubular Even Count Peyote

This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
DebbieH@65 Tongue Tied [:S] wrote
on Jul 22, 2008 7:56 PM

I am working on my first amulet bag. This is the first time I decided to use a graph pattern.

The beads for the new rows are highlighted, and move up in a diagonal direction 1 bead to the left.

I am having difficulty trying to keep track of my place ( on the graph) each time I am about to change rows. I have tried post-it notes, blank paper, bookmarks, but nothing seems to work.

Anybody got any hints? 

What I am trying now, is to actually count the beads and colors for 2-3 rows at a time, stitch them in and then try to dicipher a few more rows. There just has to be an easier way.

wrote
on Jul 23, 2008 1:40 AM

I do approximately the same thing you do, and I think it may be something you just have to get used to.  It took me awhile reading patterns before I could really read them with confidence.

Either a sticky or piece of paper usually works for me-my mom uses a strip of magnetic tape when she's doing her cross stitch. Her washing machine broke years ago and she commandeered the lid to post her patterns on.  Works great! I also use my needle and "read" the row a couple times before I start to make sure I know what I'm doing.  I count out loud how many of which color, and it helps to remember (ie 3 red, 2 white, 4 blue, etc).

Not sure if that will help or not, but I tried...

Not Ranked
Posts 3
DebbieH@65 wrote
on Jul 24, 2008 7:14 PM

Thank you Jsmaz for your response.

I guess using a "word map" is the only efficient way of reading the pattern.

So far, so good. I am almost 1/3 of the way complete and the pattern is beginning to resemble the pattern I chose. I can also see a few of my "mistakes" but I'll live with them since this is my first bag and there are just way too many beads to rip out to get to the ones I goofed up.

Again,

Thanks for your advice!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
D.M@4 wrote
on Jul 24, 2008 9:07 PM

Hi, I saw your post & wanted to suggest:  suzanne cooper's website has something called a peyote stitch guide.  It's like a ruler but gauged for the way peyote stitch beads show up on a pattern graph.  She says get it printed on some type of transparent plastic so you can see thru it as you lay it on the pattern & be able to use the dry-erase type markers on it.  I've only done one flat peyote piece w/just 3 colors of beads & I did it by making a 2nd copy of the pattern-enlarged it 125% & then I crossed off each row as I was done & marked the row I was working on if I had to stop mid-way.  There is also something called a "tube-a-loo" which is a clear plastic tube made for amulet bag peyote stitching, & according to the designer you can slide your pattern inside & just stitch around the tube as your support-matching each bead as you see it (I guess you tape the pattern inside it).  I'm not going to attempt any tubular peyote until I get more comfortable just doing flat pieces.  I want to learn how to join 2 flat pieces together to make a bag.  In the pattern I want to use the long sides of the rectangle shape are even(no "notches") how can they be joined (zipped up)?  Anyway, good luck w/your project. 

wrote
on Jul 25, 2008 12:28 AM

DM, those are helpful ideas as well.  I may have to make myself one of those pattern readers-it wouldn't be very difficult.  I hadn't thought about taping the pattern to a tube either, but that could work as well.

As for mistake beads, if you don't want to rip out all your work (been there) you can always use pliers and break the individual beads and stitch the correct bead over top of the exposed threads.  I'm not a huge fan of this, but I have done it a couple of times if it was a glaring mistake several rows back. If a bead breaks later, you can do repairs the same way.  If it's not that big an error though, I agree-leave it!  You may be the only one who ever notices...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 25, 2008 5:09 AM

Hi Debbie,

that's what I do. Print out or copy the pattern and check off the finished rows (or beads, if you have to stop in the middle of the row). That's what works best for me and I see at once where I stopped.

Dagmar

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 25, 2008 10:21 AM

I had several beads break when I was doing the Yin-Yang on my jean jacket and I just went back and restitched a new bead in it's place and you can't even see where it was. It is not always possible to do it like this, but it sure make it look better when you can.

I agree with Jeni about small mistakes, it sometimes gives the piece a little more character. It also shows that it was made by a human, not some machine that doesn't make mistakes. *laughz* My wife swears that I am my own worst critic and I am beginning to think that she is right. I see things in my own work that I don't like, but most of the time I am the only one that even sees it.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Not Ranked
Posts 3
DebbieH@65 wrote
on Jul 25, 2008 5:20 PM

I am using the pattern directly out of the book. It just never dawned on me to scan the chart, blow up the image and use that as my pattern. Duh.

I noticed the name of your website, Kokopelli Designs.

The amulet bag I am doing, has a large dancing Kokopelli on it.

Thank you adding your suggestion.

Debbie

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 565
Beadiecat wrote
on Jul 27, 2008 2:16 AM

I place the pattern (or a copy of it, if it's in a book) inside a plastic sheet protector, and then mark off the rows with a dry-erase marker.

I never have been able to follow one of those word map patterns.

Cat

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 27, 2008 11:56 AM

CathiK:

I place the pattern (or a copy of it, if it's in a book) inside a plastic sheet protector, and then mark off the rows with a dry-erase marker.

That's also an idea I never thought of. So you don't have to print it out only once and don't have to throw it away after one use. Thanks for sharing! I'll try next time.

Dagmar

Not Ranked
Posts 7
PeggyM@43 wrote
on Aug 4, 2008 3:24 PM

Hi;

Go Here:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Peyote\BEAD PATTERN GUIDE.mht

This bead pattern guide is excellent for keeping track of rows in peyote..

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS