Split Loomed Necklace

This post has 35 Replies | 2 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 908
on Apr 12, 2011 4:56 PM

Well, I have decided to share my latest creation, from the loom. Yes, this truly is another means I am working out to turn all the great seed beaders of this Forum on to 'Bead Looming'!! Big Smile

This was also my first looming on a Mirrix. It truly was a great decision because I was able to create some unusual techniques. I also didn't have to cut it off the loom till the very end. Here is a picture of it still on the loom to show.

I will also do something I don't usually consider....sharing a picture of the back!! You can see the basic design I worked towards.

Thank goodness this loom allowed me to see the back too! Wink

This was an experiment to try new ventures in looming. I have created many more ideas, now that I know some of what I originally thought will work!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 149
alrogers wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 5:30 PM

Wow, Wow nice work. How long did it take you to do this piece?

Annie

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 908
on Apr 12, 2011 7:21 PM

Thanks Annie! This did take a bit longer then I originally thought it would. I strung the loom last July, with a basic idea of where I was going with it. Then, umpteen earrings, a few loomed cuffs, and a cell phone bag or two later, I picked it up again. The main lull was hand weaving each of the individual petals and realizing the proportion of each as they need to fall. I had to work a few over more then once, but by the end, I was in the mode of knowing how many beads wide would have made the correct sizing. This was also the first time I completed a 'twisted fringe'. That was scary for me, at first, but it still is twisted, lol!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 780
Tia Dalma wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 7:57 PM

Erin,

I have followed your progress on the Lotus SLN over at your blog site and I just wanted to tell you how amazingly beautiful this work of art is! You have quite a genius streak in you when it comes to engineering these pieces on your loom.Thank you for sharing it here as well...

This is truly an inspiration to break out my tiny little wooden loom... I am no where near your caliber of work but you do inspire me to try!

I do have a question for you though...I have tried numerous times to start a wider piece on my loom and I cannot get the first row started. This piece is 45 beads wide and they just do not want to snug up into their spot between the warp threads.

How do I get this first row started? Do I need to pass the needle through several beads at a time instead of trying to do the entire row at once? I just can't get past this first row on this piece and my loom is sitting there, warped and ready for me to start working on it but instead it sits there neglected and unusedbecause of this problem!

Thank you again for sharing your work with us here and thank you for blog as well...you have a wealth of information and I truly appreciate that you share that knowledge with us! I cannot wait for your book!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,215
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 8:35 PM

Wow what an amazing piece. You are very talented with that loom. What a beautiful piece of art. It can't be call anything short of great art.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Temperance,Michigan

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 478
Calico3 wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 3:59 AM

That's an amazing necklace.

I'm fascinated by the twisted fringe.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 540
debbiela wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 4:53 AM

Simply amazing work ! 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 422
ss10001 wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 6:07 AM

I have no words.  That piece is simply stunning.  I can't even imagine what it would take to make something like that!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,215
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 6:17 AM

The amazing part to me is the 3D of the flower, although the fringe is great, that flower is so amazing. Erin has so much talent, it is running from her fingers. I am blessed to be able to view all this on BD.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Temperance,Michigan

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 439
Ricki Ayer wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 6:31 AM

Absolutely spectacular...I have never seen anything like it.  I am in awe of your talent.

Ricki

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 908
on Apr 13, 2011 6:33 AM

Thank you so much! All in all, aside from figuring out the proportion of each petal, this was much easier then it looks. Again, it is just a loomed 'Split Loomed Necklace' with adornments!

Tia, the first row is difficult, for the start of a new looming, no matter how wide. If your warps are taut, then it makes the first row easier. If the row is too long to keep as 'one', when popping each bead inbetween each two warps, then just pop in a few at a time and run your weft back through. Be sure your weft needle/thread stay on top of the warps while going back through the beads. When running back 'groupings', instead of the entire row, be sure the last warp is 'under' the needle when you exit. Then, be sure again that it stays under the needle when you run your next group. After completing the entire row, softly pull the weft till it is completely through the row.

You may still notice a 'wavy' row, because the first row tends to end up this way. You can either run a thin piece of wire through that row to straighten (removing when the row stays straight on it's own) or you can just continue the next few rows with the wave. It only takes about 5-8 rows for the piece to straighten on its own. Pull each row taut.

One more hint. If you start your looming in the center of the loom, center of your pattern, the first row tends to be easier to work. This way, you are not fighting with the 'thread separators' at each end, being a bit too narrow or too wide for the beads you are looming. Again, be sure your warps are taut. Whether you start in the center of the loom/pattern or not, I do always suggest that you know the measurements of your completed looming, like a cuff may be 7 inches. Hover a ruler over the warps, when you start, to gauge where your piece will lay. If you prefer to start on the first row of the pattern, doing this will almost guarantee your looming to be completed center of the loom table. I also say that every looming should be matched to the proper 'loom table', not rolling your loomed sections.

If you are looming a very wide piece, you may also want to consider a 'two needle weft' method. This saves thread and having to change your weft more often. One needle will go under the loom, then the other needle does the pass back through the beads.

Now go get on that loom again. They get angry strung with warps and not beads attached!! Big Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 780
Tia Dalma wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 7:02 AM

Erin thank you so much for the advice! That is exactly what I needed to know...I have been reading your blog for a while now and I have searched all of the forums for your advice about looming...I honestly cannot wait for your book to come out!

I will get back to my loom asap and this time it's going to work! Thank you again for sharing your beautiful work and your genius knowledge!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 367
BeadBarn wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 8:24 AM

Hi everyone... Don't get to visit all that often these days... but boy did I pick the right day... words just fail me... though absolutely magnificent came straight into my head... Erin, you cannot be beat... what on earth could you do to top this..!!!

BeadBarn – Lynn

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 817
JanineB@7 wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 9:56 AM

WOW !!!!  WOW!!!!

Janine

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 133
larissa@4 wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 9:58 AM

Great job!  I envy your patience.

A wise man hears one word and understands two.

Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS