My son is "wheels up"

This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 2:35 PM

My youngest son Phil is "wheels up" on his way to Afghanistan as I type this. He's a mechanic with the Army, so he won't be on the front lines.

He's got a 1 year tour of duty (unless the government decides to extend it), leaving his wife and their almost 1 year old daughter back in the States.

Please keep him and all the military in harms way in your thoughts and prayers.

Thanks,

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 3:18 PM

Will do Deb and when you talk to him, tell him Thanks from me!

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,877
MelindaB@14 wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 4:15 PM

We definitely will keep them all in our prayers.

MelindaB ~ Juneau, Alaska USA

When you dream ... what are you wearing?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about Learning to Dance in the rain!

Authors UNKNOWNEmbarrassed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 411
Memoosim wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 7:31 PM

Praying for a safe return for him, and all of them.

Cherie

Dance.  Even if you're the only one who hears the music. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Apr 10, 2011 9:05 PM

Best of luck to him!  If your daughter needs a shoulder or an ear from another military spouse who's been there and done that by all means pass on my email to her.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,711
cbreul wrote
on Apr 15, 2011 11:53 AM

Done!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Apr 15, 2011 2:11 PM

Thanks everyone for your good thoughts and prayers.

DH and I spoke to him via text on Skype (signal was too weak for video).  He's been in Afghanistan for about 3 days, getting settled in. We'll be talking to him again tonight when he starts his day. Technology is wonderful, isn't it? If soldiers during the Civil War had been told that in the future, soldiers would be able speak to their families 8,000 miles away as if they were in the next room, they would have thought it was a crazy idea!

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,328
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Apr 15, 2011 7:49 PM

Yes, even those that were in Vietnam, are amazed by today's advancement in technology, from the time of Vietnam. I can remember my Hubby and I did audio tapes and that was the best way at the time, and they still had to go through the mail before we could hear them. Sometimes if was a week or so after the fact before you got the tape in the mail, all depending on where they were at the time of recording.

Sometimes it was months before you got to see your newborn, now you are in the delivery room  for the delivery via skype. The older kids get to see their parent and talk with them face to face. When my kids were little and their Father was in Nam the listened to him on the audio tape. What a difference this has made for the families with members in the armed forces.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Apr 16, 2011 7:51 AM

It's been a huge morale boost while DH was still overseas and our son & I came back early.  All he had for company was the dog, so he was pretty lonely.  It was great to be able to video chat with him most days even if it was for just a few minutes.

Heck, we couldn't even video chat when he was deployed several years ago-he had to call whenever his schedule & location allowed.  Gotta love technology!

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 74
on Apr 27, 2011 2:58 AM

oh, ma'am! I hope your days are going easy. the three years my cousin spent in Iraq and Afghanistan were particularly hard for my family and me. Troops are always, always, always in my heart.

You see those bushes over there? I've tried them berries green, and I've tried 'em red, and I've tried 'em brown. And I have come to the conclusion that they just ain't good berries! --Tommy, the Aging Groundskeeper at the Community College

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 26
on May 3, 2011 5:22 AM

Hi southern NZ lady here. Not being a military spause or from a military family I cannot even begine to emagin what it most be like for those family left behind at home while your loved ones are on their tour of duty. all I know is that we down here in little old nz ow your army guys a big thank you for helping look for people trapped in the fallen ruins of what was our city centre after our big February quake. so my thought for one will definately will be with your guys on active duty in Afganistan. so all I can say is god bless them for keeping us safe from terrorists and a great BIG THANK YOU. for helping protect our way of live

Regards Southern NZ lady

beady eyed Kiwi

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS