Preciosa crystals

This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
31Summers wrote
on Jul 5, 2008 5:43 PM

Has anyone had any experiance with these beads verses the swarovski crystals? I heard about them today at my local bead shop and would like to know about the quality of the crystal.

Dana

wrote
on Jul 6, 2008 12:13 AM

Hi Dana,

I haven't used them, but I've seen ads in bead mags for www.margola.net, and they are and authorized distributor of Preciosa.  You might look them up and at least get some more info about them.

Jeni

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 7:13 PM

31Summers:

Has anyone had any experiance with these beads verses the swarovski crystals? I heard about them today at my local bead shop and would like to know about the quality of the crystal.

Dana

Dana,

Preciosa crystals are *supposed* to be "the same as Swarovski crystals". If I had a nickel for every time a vendor told me that, I wouldn't have to have a bead store! <LOL> We bought Preciosa in a couple of colors when we couldn't get them from our regular Swarovski vendor. When the Swarovski color came in - the Preciosa SAT there forever before it sold.

BUT - to someone who is used to using Swarovski crystals, there is a difference. I proved it to one vendor in the store. She gave me the "same as..." line, so I grabbed the only Preciosa we had and the identical color in Swarovski (that we finally got), grabbed an innocent bystander customer and handed her a strand of each. I asked if she could tell which was Swarovski and she chose the right one! The vendor was SHOCKED!

The colors are NOT identical to Swarovski and the cut is not the same, either. There isn't that much price difference between the two of them, either. Personally, I wouldn't use Preciosa crystal beads unless it was an emergency and I had no way to get Swarovski and even then, I'd think twice or 3 times before doing it.

HOWEVER - Preciosa does have "rhinestones" that we use in repairing costume jewelry and they are perfectly suited for that situation.

Hope this helps!

Deb - AZ Bead Depot

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Aug 6, 2008 7:33 PM

Dana, I completely agree with Deb.  I have used Preciosa and I really don't like them as much as Swarovski.  They just don't seem to have the same gleam and depth to the color that Swarovskis have.  In fact to my untrained eye, sitting next to Swarovskis, they almost look like acrylics.  For my money, Swarovski is the way to go.  But then, I love the shine and bling-y appearance.

Good luck!

wrote
on Aug 7, 2008 12:04 AM

Thanks for the info, even thought I didn't ask the question!  I haven't actually seen Preciosas at all, but now that I've read the comparison I'll probably stick with Swarovski too.  They may be more expensive than other types of crystals, but it's so worth it!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,144
on Aug 7, 2008 1:41 PM

I'll use anything cheap for experimentation, but I preferf Swarovski for the final design.

I agree, they look so much better than ANY low lead content crystal.

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS