Meridian--faux chainmail bracelet

This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 798
brightcircle wrote
on Mar 26, 2011 10:50 AM

Yesterday I was at the craft store (trying not to buy way more than I went there for), and saw a strip of mass-produced Euro 4-1 chainmail on the discount rack. Thinking about buying it, I picked it up--and noticed it wasn't what I thought it was. It wasn't 4-1; instead of larger jumprings linking pairs of smaller ones, large jumprings linked lots of figure-8 links! I said 'I could totally do that!' and went home and did it with 18 gauge wire and 8mm jumprings (that I'd bought that day). The centerpiece is a small glass 'halo heaven' ring from Unicorne Glass (also available from Sonoran Beads) between two 16mm jumprings from the craft store. I initially had trouble getting the glass ring to lie more or less flat, so I linked the two large jumprings to each other, allowing the glass ring to move freely.

Linking the figure-8s is MUCH easier than managing all the jumprings that 4-1 weave demands. I plan to put up a how-to on my blog, The Beaded Passion.

Handmade jewelry, beaded beads and more available at my NEW location, bonanza.com/booths/BrightCircle

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 909
Cindy Daniel wrote
on Mar 26, 2011 11:51 AM

That is so cool! I love the bracelet, what a great idea.

Find my tutorials at: JewelryTales.com

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 531
on Mar 26, 2011 12:07 PM

Very Pretty Piece,I really like the contrast and that Blue Is beautiful!

Angela

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Mar 26, 2011 9:38 PM

Sweet!  Love the simplicity of getting the ring to lay right, and the figure 8 links are a fab idea. :) 

BTW, I didn't read your post correctly so I went to your blog and OMG, you lucky duck!  Nice find at the auction.Big Smile

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Mar 27, 2011 3:22 PM

Very cool! Love the idea with figure 8s and the glass ring makes it perfect.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 668
beadorigami wrote
on Mar 30, 2011 5:16 PM

Definitely a fun bracelet. The how-to on your blog looks neat too!

Cindy ~ Bead Origami

Website ~ Blog ~ Facebook ~ Etsy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 798
brightcircle wrote
on Apr 3, 2011 4:46 PM

Thanks! This is my first time doing a tutorial on the web--good to know it works.

Handmade jewelry, beaded beads and more available at my NEW location, bonanza.com/booths/BrightCircle

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 127
jamberrysong wrote
on Apr 3, 2011 9:47 PM

Hey, you! :D Long time no see. Our paths just keep crossing!

This is a fantastic piece. Who would have ever thought to do this?! I'm really enjoying the look; it definitely has the impression of real chain mail. What you did with the glass ring is brilliant! I'll be looking forward to your tutorial. I recently got some little wooden rings with flowers painted on the sides, and this would be a good way to use one of them. :)

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what's essential is invisible to the eye." - Fox, The Little Prince

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 165
rs83 wrote
on Apr 4, 2011 7:00 AM

That's awesome!  I really love it!  :)

--Rebecca

www.elvenstarart.com -- Fantasy and Fairy Art

Etsy -- EBAY -- Blog

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 348
Chibabies6 wrote
on Apr 6, 2011 5:25 AM

I just love this one!! Beautiful design and the centerpiece is just perfect!

Michelle K.

Follow my As They Grow project..  weekly pictures of my 3 chihuahuas from birth to age 1.

http://chibeads.shutterfly.com/

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 360
Beading_Sue wrote
on Apr 6, 2011 9:51 AM

Very classy!  I love the look.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 138
larissa@4 wrote
on Apr 7, 2011 7:05 AM

I love it!

A wise man hears one word and understands two.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 933
on Apr 7, 2011 7:42 AM

Great bracelet. I love the blue focal you added! What a great story of your 'ah ha' moment in the store!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,328
13tamara wrote
on Apr 7, 2011 4:39 PM

oh very cool, I have some of that chain in copper I think and didn't have a clue what to do with it....

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 798
brightcircle wrote
on Apr 18, 2011 8:47 PM

Thanks everyone! Wish I'd thought of the figure-8 idea myself, but as long as I can do it myself, right? It's also an idea in, I think, one of those wire jewelry books like Contemporary Copper Jewelry--that author.

The tutorial is up! http://brightcircle.blogspot.com/2011/03/project-meridian-faux-chainmail.html

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS