I REALLY hate not being able to bead

This post has 23 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 14
hethcox9 wrote
on Mar 27, 2011 8:34 AM

Oh, seeing your cat pictjure,  I thought I'd mention I also have an adored cat, Mochi, 1/4 Siamese. Not to mention the Russian Blue (pushy) and two Applehead Siamese that are officially my daughter's. Also a little terrier and an old shepherd mix, lots of chickens, and dairy goats (my 15 and 17 year olds do 4H). The other five children are more or less gone. Some show up with extra dependents :) now and then! Beading has been something creative I could do at home. I love pottery but don't have the money for my own set up and patronizing a studio requires more money and time away from home. Thought I've been considering making beads and just bought a few packages of FIMO to try that out.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
ewwaller wrote
on Mar 27, 2011 10:32 AM

Hi!

This is my first time posting here, but I commiserate with all of you on your inability to find the time or the physical wherewithal or the inspiration to bead. I've been there myself. At the moment, it's my eyesight keeping me away from my passions. Some days the eyestrain is just too much. And for me, that's agony because in addition to beading, I draw, paint, knit, embroider, sew, write poetry, and read voraciously. I regret that I wasn't beading while I was in the military (Navy Corpsman). It would have made some of my duty nights in the Emergency Room go a bit faster. Anyway, hang in there, y'all! It all evens out in the end.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
hethcox9 wrote
on Mar 27, 2011 8:28 PM

I figure if my 80 year old Mom can bead, with all her health problems, I can too! But I wish I'd done more when younger too :) 

Not Ranked
Posts 14
hethcox9 wrote
on Mar 27, 2011 8:30 PM

Retiring adjustment is a two year process. Someone told me that and she was right. We've been out 5 years now, but the first two were harder on my husband than me (though I miss it all)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Mar 28, 2011 9:43 PM

Good to know-thanks for that.  He's still in the "surreal" part of the process.  He's starting to poke around looking for civilian jobs and I don't think he's quite got his head in it yet.  He keeps saying he wants to sit on the porch and drink beer all day but that would last for about a week and he'd be stir crazy.Stick out tongue

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Not Ranked
Posts 14
hethcox9 wrote
on Mar 29, 2011 5:58 AM

My Larry went straight from the military to the govt; I think he was terrified at not having deadlines/pressure. Wouldn't even take more than a couple weeks off! Then he had to learn the Federal Government way of doing things but since you know how to follow procedure in the military, he did fine with that.

Of course sometimes people our age only have college kids...our youngest was 10 when he retired and we still had 5 kids at home. And he got in just before a hiring freeze. We're in Virginia where half the people work for govt and computer businesses.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,472
Evalie wrote
on Jun 20, 2011 7:45 PM

My husband is 20 year retired AF. (We weren't married to each other until after he got out ) But the way he transitioned to civilian life was to get a job with a firm that did work for the military on base, than when he moved here with me, he found a civilian job doing basically the same type of work. It made it a pretty gradual transition for him. I think it's been harder for him to acclimate to a family life than it was to a civilian job......no children before he moved here.....keeps things interesting.

Evalie

Massachusetts Coast

http://www.etsy.com/shop/4evadorn 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 250
Claudette48 wrote
on Jun 22, 2011 2:28 PM

This was a very difficult post for me to write.  First, I want to assure everyone that I have no intentions of ever using this forum for the purpose of sales.  I'm here to learn and share only.

Having said that, I read each of your posts with a heavier and heavier heart.  People should not have to be in pain and they don't.  Although, I have beaded forever, since 1999 almost everything I have done has been regarding Magnetic Therapy - learning, researching, creating the Magnetite Jewelry (not magnetized hematite no lariats), and presenting the information and product to the public.

If you are interested in knowing how it can get rid of your pain, E Mail me which is on my profile.  I will never contact you without you first contacting me.  I speak at Conferences about it  and am currently in the process of writing a book.  I joke around and say that I could talk about it for three days without stopping, but the truth is, I could probably talk longer than that!  I am not trying to sell you anything.  With the information you can either make it yourself or purchase from many people.  I'll even show you how to make it without charge.

God never meant us to be in pain.  He gave us all of the tools - we just need to find them and use them.  It doesn't have to entail invasive surgeries or horrible drugs with terrible side effects.

Claudette!

amagnetaday

Claudette

Tip: To stop metal findings from tarnishing store in a ZIP Lock bag with a chunk of chalk.

amagnetaday

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 72
tiger@4 wrote
on Jun 23, 2011 2:17 AM

Lois I feel for you, but in a month or two you hopefully will get to bead again for just a little while, but once he is up and running that all goes to pot. I have a three year old at home and I only get to bead when she goes and stays at her Nan's for the night. I am looking forward to this weekend though, she is away for four days, so out will come the beads. I have been known to stand at the ironing board to do some beading, but she is getting so tall that she can grab the beads off it now. I wish she could just sit and watch with out touching like she dose with my other half when he is making his arrows for his long bow, all right for some hay.

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS