What foods do you think of for a Summer Picnic?

This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Mar 18, 2011 7:37 AM

So we are having an open house at work for referring offices to come in for lunch one day this summer. We are doing it as "A Little Taste of Summer". We are going to make it casual. So what foods do you think of? We are thinking we will be purchasing the food and serving it ourselves to keep the casual feel going. 

So here is what we were thinking as a menu:

Fried Chicken    Potato Salad    Cole Slaw     Bakes Beans     Fresh Fruit trays   Fresh veggie trays

Ice Cream with toppings for desert

But I feel that something is missing. Another Meat? What else do you think of for summer?

Thanks!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Mar 18, 2011 7:47 AM

Pasta Salad, cool and refreshing :)

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 411
Memoosim wrote
on Mar 18, 2011 8:06 AM

For me it's.....

Grilled hot dogs or brats    Baked Beans   Hamburgers   Cole Slaw tomato salad

Wish it was summer....

Cherie

Dance.  Even if you're the only one who hears the music. 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 96
Sandra242 wrote
on Mar 18, 2011 10:26 AM

I don't eat meat, so I would lean towards veggie dogs or Boca burgers. Which would be a very nice gesture in the event any Veg*ns attend your picnic. Cold pasta salad sounds good, corn on the cob, potato chips, cookies or some other dessert that won't melt?

Mmmm, now I'm hungry and wanting to go on a picnic! Wink

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 521
on Mar 18, 2011 2:45 PM

BBQ! Pulled  pork or beef. It doesn't really matter. Every summer we smoke two very large beef briskets (they smoke anywhere between 14-20 hours depending on the size) then we shred them and smother them in my homemade BBQ sauce.  I divide it up into baggies and then freeze most of it for later use)

Anyhow the meat can be smoked or slow roasted in an oven ahead of time and sauced so all that anybody would have to do is warm it up on the day of the picnic ( we typically use our slow cooker to reheat it). Slap it in a bun and top with coleslaw.  Talk about  yummy!!!!!!!

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Mar 18, 2011 3:35 PM

Awesome suggestions! That is why I asked! There are two vegetarians that I know of so I was trying to think of things that would work for them as well. My mom got me a cookbook with a recipe that has shoe peg corn, onion, cucumber, tomato, green pepper ( ok any color pepper LOL! ) and a small bottle of wish-bone italian dressing. That would be awesome as well! Just not sure I want to make it for 100+ people... Big Smile

I am ready for summer as well! It was 60 degrees today, this morning was sunny but this afternoon we had a thunderstorm roll through ( Cat is should be headed your way! ) . Not bad, just heavy rain for about 15 minutes.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,317
on Mar 19, 2011 3:20 PM

I think of summer and I want:

Watermelon

Ribs

Beer brats

Carrot salad (minus the pineapple)

Lots and lots of grilled veggies

I also make veggie burgers and dogs for those who don't eat meat. I wonder if you can bbq tofu....hmm...

Christina,

Rainy Pacific Northwest, Home of The Seahawks. 

http://vintagetreasuresjewelry.blogspot.com 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS