How to use a thread burner??

This post has 21 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 136
rosyjazz wrote
on Mar 14, 2011 7:04 PM

Hi Folks!

I just got The Bead Buddy Thread Sealer from Joann's for 50% off (with a coupon of course). However, I haven't seen this particular thread burner mentioned anywhere...Is this like the Thread Zapper? Is this going to work just like the other Thread Burners? And of course...how to properly use it....

Thanks!!

Rosy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,834
KipperCat wrote
on Aug 15, 2011 11:45 AM

just a bump as I'm curious as well.  I've recently realized I'd like to have a thread burner.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 563
kareng915 wrote
on Aug 18, 2011 12:35 AM

Thread burner??!!  don't you live on the edge like me and use a Bic lighter??!!  lol

Yes, I have gotten to close and had a piece fall apart because I burned off more than just a thread end!  

karen  ~  BeadDelirium    blog  |  artfire 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Aug 18, 2011 4:23 PM

kareng915:

Thread burner??!!  don't you live on the edge like me and use a Bic lighter??!!  lol

Yes, I have gotten to close and had a piece fall apart because I burned off more than just a thread end!  

Good Lord, Karen! If I used a Bic lighter, I'd probably set the dogs or the house afire! <eeek>

I do like my Beadsmith Thread Zapper - haven't messed anything up with it - yet! :-) And it's much safer for me than an open flame!

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Lee D. wrote
on Aug 18, 2011 5:56 PM

Hi;

All you have to do is push the button on the side and the burner will glow. Then you touch the thread. That is all.

I used sissors but couldn't get close to the beads when using fishing line. Then I bought the Thread Zapper and don't know why I didn't buy it sooner.

Lee

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 250
Claudette48 wrote
on Aug 18, 2011 7:39 PM

OMG!  I feel like I'm in the stone age. I've never heard of a Thread Zapper.  I go through about a light a month and it's hard to find the ones that aren't child resistant and won't tear up your fingers.

How long do they last?  How long do they take to get hot?

Who knew?

Thank you!

Claudette

Tip: To stop metal findings from tarnishing store in a ZIP Lock bag with a chunk of chalk.

amagnetaday

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,563
D.M.Z wrote
on Aug 18, 2011 8:13 PM

Rosy, Just start slow with it, you can burn too close with it (just like you can with a Bic lighter) and "erase" your thread down past the knot and poof, you are losing your piece. I'd bet it is as close to Thread Zapper as they could get without infringing on patents, etc.

When I whip out my Bic and make nice little round balls on the end of my thread....it is such a marvel to some, to me it is just natural as that is how I learned to do it.

Claudette, I have one friend who has gone through several new tips (she beads a lot, probably like you do) and she is now not as thrilled as she was with it.  Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 250
Claudette48 wrote
on Aug 18, 2011 8:37 PM

Thank you.  I guess I'll just stick with my BIC.  I even have windless lighters for outdoors.  I always have 5 or 6 lighters and two cans of fuel because you never know.

Thanks.

Claudette

Tip: To stop metal findings from tarnishing store in a ZIP Lock bag with a chunk of chalk.

amagnetaday

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Apr 3, 2013 4:12 PM

I did the same thing with the same coupon at the same store.  Mine doesn't work either.  I understand all about the button and the direction of the battery.  I push the button and I barely feel warmth, no matter how long I keep it pressed.  Even if it was half off, I'm getting my money back.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 159
on Apr 3, 2013 10:10 PM

I have a Thread Zapper 2 by Beadsmith, that I keep forgetting to use! Its always way after I've finished my project that I remember i have a thread burning tool. Then I remember again, I can't use it for fear of setting the place on fire because I've already glued/nail polished the knots!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 28
EmmaBaby123 wrote
on Apr 4, 2013 12:59 PM

Ive used a Thread Sealer & I have to say I wasn't impressed!  I bought it off eBay.  I turned it on after putting in the battery & it was barely warm! 

I haven't had the opportunity to try the Thread Zapper, but I know others within the Macrame community who have used it & they swear by it! 

Im going to be purchasing one soon & will let you know! 

Emma

For knotting techniques & tips & how to create macrame plant hangers, bracelets & necklaces, check out:  http://www.freemacramepatterns.net/

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Apr 4, 2013 4:25 PM

I love the thread zapper, it works wonderful. Did not like the scissors left to much fish line.

Hint don't drop it, lol, it wrecks the tip

Kathy

Not Ranked
Posts 21
on Nov 3, 2013 4:21 PM

Does anyone know why they suddenly stop working?  I have a FibreFuse.  Was fantastic but now doesn't work.  Do the tips have only have a certain life and need to he replaced?  

Hope someone can shed some light.

Thank you

Om Namah Shivaya

http://laviniarosedesigns.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Nov 3, 2013 4:38 PM

Not sure of that brand, but does it have batteries? If so check them.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 21
on Nov 4, 2013 7:14 AM

Yes has battery,  I put new strong ones in but still no luck.

Om Namah Shivaya

http://laviniarosedesigns.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS