seating and doing your projects

This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 22
SariY wrote
on Jun 19, 2008 7:06 PM

Ok,, so I have tried doing beads on the kitchen table , coffee table and a side table with a chair, but, none seem good for my back and neck???

How do you bead and not get a sore back or neck????

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jun 20, 2008 3:09 AM

I find that I have to set a time limit and then get up and stretch. I have a favorite chair that I sit in and have a folding table that I spread everything out on. The folding table is at a higher level than an end table so everything is right there and easy to see.

I have found that if I get caught up in working on a project and sit for several hours, I will get sore. I get up and stretch a little, go to the bathroom get something to drink whatever and spend a few minutes up walking around. My biggest issue is my hands will get the stiffest of anything ( not that I am starting to get old or anything...lol )

Set an alarm if you have to but I usually have the tv on so I know that at the end of the program that I need to get up for a few minutes. Hope this helps!

wrote
on Jun 20, 2008 3:10 AM

I do my projects either at my craft desk in an office chair with armrests, or in my recliner with a lap desk if we're watching TV.  Either way, I have to get up and stretch every so often, because you do get stuck in one position for a while.

If there's some way to bead for extended periods and still be comfy I'd love to know it...

Jeni

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,248
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jun 20, 2008 5:46 AM

Jeri

I do the same thing. I used to sit at my craft desk aka computer desk,  when I was mostly doing earrings and stringing.  Now I do mostly weaving and  I get comfy in my lazy-boy with a lap tray.  Besides my desk is such a mess Embarrassed

Sue

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Lauraandrews wrote
on Jun 20, 2008 4:21 PM

Stretching and drinking a lot of water seem to help. It is hard when we get to that creative place to take a break. I have also tried beading on a fitness ball. It is not bad because it causes me to move around more.

Hope you have much luck avoiding the soreness!

Not Ranked
Posts 19
Melissa@130 wrote
on Jun 21, 2008 6:33 AM

I agree with everyone else.  There is no sneaky secret to beading for long periods of time without getting sore.  It's actually pretty dangerous to sit for to long anyway, it can cause blood clots in your legs if you get carried away.  Drinking water is a genius idea because not only does it keep you hydrated, you will be forced every so often to get up and move around.  You also have to take your hands into consideration.  They need a break too.

I got a little carried away with a bracelet yesterday, sat to long and didn't give myself enough breaks.  Not only does my butt hurt, my hands are pretty sore.  Which totally stinks because I have a class on an awesome bracelet today, and it's likely to be pretty painful. 

Good luck!

Melissa

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 25
MaryH@172 wrote
on Jun 30, 2008 10:05 AM

Not Ranked
Posts 5
RobynO2 wrote
on Jun 30, 2008 3:44 PM

Keep a big glass of water with you at all times.  It'll force you to get up now and then.  Wink

I do most of my beading at the kitchen table, so if I find I'm really engrossed in something, I set the timer on the microwave for 30 minutes.  That way, I get interrupted every half hour and that's my signal to get up and stretch.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Perry@4 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 5:21 AM

Sari, you need to rent of couple of kids.  Mine interrupt me so much that I can barely finish anything!  Seriously, you may want to buy a good office chair that you can adjust to suit the height of your work surface.

Laura, beading on an exercise ball?  You rock!  I'm such a klutz that everything would end up in the middle of the floor.

wrote
on Jul 2, 2008 12:29 AM

I have a kid you can rent!  He's 18 months old and keeps me VERY busy.  Since it's near impossible to wear jewelry without him grabbing it, I'm trying to teach him to be "soft soft" with it like petting the dog, and he does well mostly.  I try not to bead anywhere he can reach though! I have a bucket of colorful plastic beads that I let him play with so he feels like he has some too.  That will work until he figures out how to get the top off...

Sitting on an exercise ball is a great idea.  We just moved a few months ago, so I'll have to figure out where mine went to.

Jeni

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS