Beading wire

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 11
on Feb 11, 2011 9:30 PM

Does anyone prefer a specific brand of beading wire? They all really look the same to me and I'm not really sure what to purchase. I think the hobbylobby coupons usually sway my vote though.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Feb 12, 2011 8:31 AM

Everyone will have a different opinion on that one!  It's really a matter of trying different brands as you can and deciding which one you like.

Having tried Beadalon, Accuflex & SoftFlex I'd say I prefer Accuflex, but I can use anything in a pinch.

You also need to be sure you're matching the strength of the wire with your project.  Lighter projects or beads w/smaller holes need thinner wire, heavier/bigger beads need thicker wire.  Over time you'll end up owning a variety of different wires. ;)

I agree, HL coupons are great when it's time to buy wire, as are bulk buy discounts at Fire Mtn Gems.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 250
Claudette48 wrote
on Feb 13, 2011 6:17 PM

Jeni, is so right.  It really is personal preference and the project.  In a very short time you will have an assortment - some that you use all of the time and some once in a while, but when you need a particular one that is what you need.

The list didn't even include Fireline, elastic, stainless steel wire, wrapping wire, chain, thin cording, silk, or elastic.

Have fun.

Claudette

amagnetaday

Claudette

Tip: To stop metal findings from tarnishing store in a ZIP Lock bag with a chunk of chalk.

amagnetaday

Not Ranked
Posts 11
on Feb 14, 2011 9:17 AM

Thanks Ladies!

It's an interesting response because I just assumed everyone had a particular favorite brand. I actually do have quite a collection but find it difficult to choose which one to use. I guess it's just trial and error! haha!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 49
SoftFlexGuy wrote
on Jul 1, 2011 4:22 PM

Lots of beading wire companies offer free samples - I suggest getting your hands on some samples and letting the wire do the talking for the companies.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS