Cooking help - please =)

This post has 30 Replies | 4 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Feb 19, 2011 8:07 PM

These all sound great!  Good thing I just ate. Does your local grocery store carry any spice blends?  I don't mean the kind in the packages for a single use, but a jar of say  "Italian herbs" sold with the spices, instead of with the sauce mixes.  If I'm cooking something in a hurry, I'll often sprinkle it with one of these mixes before sauteeing.  A pinch of any of these in some olive oil would make a nice marinade as well.  Some popular ones are Greek seasoning, herbes de provence, southwestern, creole or cajun, lemon-pepper.

I like to get more than one meal from a cooking session also.  This is a favorite dish that I need to make again soon -

Roman Chicken

8 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (or half thighs)

salt & pepper

1/3 cup olive oil

1 red bell pepper, sliced

1 green bell pepper, sliced

1 yellow bell pepper?

1 onion, sliced

2 ounces prosciutto, chopped

2 cloves garlic

1 8 oz can tomato sauce (or 16 oz can diced tomatoes)

1 cup white wine

1 teaspoon  thyme leaves

1 teaspoon oregano leaves

1/2 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons capers
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves

Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a heavy, large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, cook the chicken until browned on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.

Keeping the same pan over medium heat, add the vegetables and prosciutto and cook until the peppers have browned and the prosciutto is crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato sauce, wine, and herbs. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Return the chicken to the pan, add the stock, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. (If using a mix of thighs and breasts, simmer thighs for 5 or 10 minutes, then add breasts.).

Based on recipe from Giada deLaurentis  with very few changes.

Page 3 of 3 (31 items) < Previous  1 2 3 | RSS