2011 submissions

This post has 56 Replies | 9 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 16
grammajojo wrote
on Apr 2, 2011 11:01 AM

Well,  I guess I should have read all t he rules BEFORE I submitted my photo, because even if I should happen to win, I wouldn't give up my necklace.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Apr 2, 2011 11:11 AM

Mortira:

I'm really excited about being able to enter the contest this year. I hope the kinks get worked out - I think having a bit of weaving thrown in could be good for everyone!

Does anyone know if it is acceptable to publish photographs of our entries on public blogs? Not necessarily to mention that it is a Bead Star entry. I'd like to write a post about the design I entered, but it would be published before voting ends.

Thanks!

I think it is ok, at least I know many people posted on their blogs with pictures of their entries last year, but personally I would wait until after the deadline for submission. After that, then I would think you would be fine to blog- I'm planning on it, unless I get told otherwise not to.

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Apr 2, 2011 11:12 AM

Magickal Hands:

did something change in the contest rules and the dead line? I printed them out a while agoit looked like the dead line was in May  and just by chance I went on line to look at them again and then I saw today it is the 8th I am getting my stuff ready to submit but I would have missed it!

so glad I didn't becuse I have been working on stuff al year

Some of the rules were re-written but as far as I know, the deadline has always been April 1st. They extended it a few days ago until April 8th.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Apr 2, 2011 11:16 AM

grammajojo:

Well,  I guess I should have read all t he rules BEFORE I submitted my photo, because even if I should happen to win, I wouldn't give up my necklace.

You don't have to give up your necklace. If you win, you send it in to Interweave to be photographed, and technical edits made to instructions. They send it back to you in December if that's the option you choose. Otherwise you can donate it for auction.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 96
Sandra242 wrote
on Apr 2, 2011 6:15 PM
Mortira:

I'm really excited about being able to enter the contest this year. I hope the kinks get worked out - I think having a bit of weaving thrown in could be good for everyone!

Does anyone know if it is acceptable to publish photographs of our entries on public blogs? Not necessarily to mention that it is a Bead Star entry. I'd like to write a post about the design I entered, but it would be published before voting ends.

Thanks!

I think it is ok, at least I know many people posted on their blogs with pictures of their entries last year, but personally I would wait until after the deadline for submission. After that, then I would think you would be fine to blog- I'm planning on it, unless I get told otherwise not to.

I don't know how voting works-other than it is done online during the specified time frame, but if you can blog and post photos of your piece(s) online, does that turn this into a popularity contest? Meaning couldn't someone ask their blog followers to vote for them or even make offers for votes? If someone has a huge following they would have an advantage. And I'm not suggesting the above poster(s) is/are planning on doing so, just wondering how the voting process works? What/how much influence do the judges have or is it just random people voting and you can have your friends, family, blog followers vote for you, or is it strictly fellow beaders voting?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Apr 2, 2011 6:24 PM

Sandra242:

I don't know how voting works-other than it is done online during the specified time frame, but if you can blog and post photos of your piece(s) online, does that turn this into a popularity contest? Meaning couldn't someone ask their blog followers to vote for them or even make offers for votes? If someone has a huge following they would have an advantage. And I'm not suggesting the above poster(s) is/are planning on doing so, just wondering how the voting process works? What/how much influence do the judges have or is it just random people voting and you can have your friends, family, blog followers vote for you, or is it strictly fellow beaders voting?

Voting takes place online by the general public- anyone can vote. And yes, most people that have blogs do ask their readers to vote, either for their designs or just their favorite pieces. Why wouldn't they?

Popularity contest- I don't think so really- if that was the case I never would have won last year, I'm unknown, just started a blog so it wasn't in existence when voting occured last year, and on top of that I just had lost ALL my email contacts when voting went live and I hadn't been on FB very long either. So the very few I could ask to vote for me (my family and close friends) never would have been enough in my opinion for me to place.

There had to be others that voted for me so in some cases yeah there probably is a popularity thing, but I think most people do go with their favorite pieces, at least I would hope so.

Just do what you love, if it makes it, it makes it, if not keep on doing what you do! :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Apr 2, 2011 6:28 PM

I probably didn't make that clear enough (always do that)

The judges pick the finalists- then the general public votes- friends, family, strangers! Out the of all the first place winners, judges choose from those, the grand prize winner.

Last year when I voted, even though I knew who many of the entries belonged to (style and photography)  I didn't vote for any particular person, I voted for pieces I like best, sometimes it was friends I knew, sometimes it wasn't, I voted for what I liked. I imagine others do as well.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
mjanders wrote
on Apr 2, 2011 6:58 PM

I thought there was something in the rules about the photos had to be unpublished...I sort of assumed this meant no blog posts at least until after voting, but maybe I'm wrong. Obviously, it's a huge advantage if you have a well-established blog and post photos of your pieces and then tell readers to register with beading daily and vote for your pieces. I had sort of planned to post pictures on my FB page or blog AFTER voting was over, and after I knew that pieces of mine were no longer in the running. I would think that Interweave would rather not have the winning pieces published on blogs, either, since that's sort of the point of the magazine. ??

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Apr 2, 2011 7:27 PM

I don't see anything in the rules that states they have to be unpublished- as in nobody can see pictures of what you made. I just read it three times and saw nothing about this.

Copied directly from the rules-

All designs must be new, original, and not available for sale and must not have won any previous contests. Entrants must create and complete the finished design on their own, without outside assistance. The Bead Star competition is open to adults over the age of 18 on the day they submit their entry who are registered members of the Bead Star community and who reside in the 50 states of the United States of America or Canada. Employees, vendors, agents of Interweave Press, and Bead Star sponsors and related companies and their immediate families are not eligible.

You can post photos of your pieces anytime you want, I don't think it's the best idea to do it before the entry deadline, but only because of the idea that people may copy and submit their own.

Don't get it confused with posting them after you know you've won- you can't do that. After voting is over and the results are given to the winners, they do have to keep it under wraps, including posting photos of pieces that won.

PS- Last year you didn't have to be registered on Beading Daily to vote, all it says is (again copied from the rules)

"From April 25–May 17, 2011, members of Beading Daily (Interweave's free community for bead lovers, 250,000 strong and growing) will be given an opportunity to vote for their favorites, and the 4 entries in each category that receive the most votes will be named as first place, second place, third place, and honorable mention. (To join the Beading Daily community, go tohttp://www.beadingdaily.com.)"

Beading Daily community is given the opportunity to vote, not that others can't.

mjanders:
I would think that Interweave would rather not have the winning pieces published on blogs, either, since that's sort of the point of the magazine. ??

You can post pictures before and/or during voting, but you can't afterwards. Again that would be up to you, to do it beforehand. Posting pictures before or during voting doesn't mean you won, so why would it matter? You just can't post photos afterwards and say, "this is my winning piece in the Bead Star contest". You do have to sign a disclosure saying you won't publish pictures or announce if you've won- that is secret.

Maybe someone from the staff will chime in here!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 55
Mortira wrote
on Apr 2, 2011 10:48 PM

Thanks everyone for the input about blogging and photos! I think I will go ahead and send off an email about it just to be sure.

The piece I entered is also part of a monthly segment that I'm doing for my blog. Luckily, it's not the only piece in this month's set, so I can leave it out if need be. I was hoping to show pictures, but not necessarily mention the contest.

Cheers!

Inspirational Beading - tutorials, bead spotlights and plenty of inspiration!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
on Apr 5, 2011 7:27 AM

Hey Erin Congrats on the big win last year I knew it was your necklace the moment I saw the cover of the magazine at Joanne’s really stunning

I don't mind that they added bead weaving I just wish they had kept the category open to stung seed beads as well but I am sure I feel that way since I spent a good part of the year attempting to get over my own limitations about using them in my work.

Do you know if they will let you know if you sent the wrong sized dpi or will they just disqualify your work? Personally I think interweave press should publish a book on how to take good shots and walk you though the technical end of digital requirements I know I would buy it!!!

I guess getting printed in the magazine is kid of a big prize on it’s own I would still enter even if that had a small per-category entrance fee to help support the prizes  

anyways I can't wait to see the contest this year!!!!

Amanda

" the future belongs to those who belives in the beauty of their dreams"

Eleanor Roosevelt

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
on Apr 5, 2011 7:55 AM

thanks cat for clarifying that so well! the first year I entered I saw bolgs encouraging folks to enter bead star as well asking them to vote and I thought that was great it draws more people to bead star and since the grand prize winner is chosen by the judges it dose not seem unfair I will say it was so hard not to tell anyone that I had won third prize in “hearts” I had family that ordered the magazine just to see if I had won.

I love this contest because it is a challenge in so may ways can I use simple techniques but still make something unusual and unique something I can write a description that anyone can understand and yet still be eye catching so folks will vote for it want to know how it is made none of that is easy and then add taking good photographs it is a true challange! 

" the future belongs to those who belives in the beauty of their dreams"

Eleanor Roosevelt

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Page 4 of 4 (57 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 | RSS