2011 submissions

This post has 56 Replies | 9 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 14
mjanders wrote
on Feb 24, 2011 12:36 PM

Does anyone know who to contact with questions about eligibilty? Several of you have mentioned contacting Melanie Stafford directly, but I didn't see her contact info anywhere in the magazine or on the website. I have never entered before and have some questions about materials, basically how much you can modify them--can you use paint, liver of sulfur, etc? A few of the 2010 designs seemed to have handcrafted elements, but the rules seemed a bit fuzzy on this issue. It seems that the wire working is supposed to be pretty limited...?

I too was disappointed that the under $25 category and the non-woven seed bead categories were eliminated, and that the prizes were so greatly reduced. I guess you can blame the tough economy for the changes in prizes, but since this contest really seemed to be about designs that you could make with simple techniques, the beadweaving doesn't seem to fit that well. But, maybe they feel they can get more entries for beadweaving than they can with seed beads. ?  It's sort of hard to imagine how a simple "strung" design can compete with an elaborately woven design for the grand prize, though.

I loved the pieces in the 2010 contest and was excited to see how many winning designs I "picked" when I voted--including yours, Erin! ;-)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Mar 1, 2011 10:36 AM

Melanie Stafford is no longer with Interweave, so Bead Star will now be edited by Danielle Fox (the editor of Stringing) and Debbie Blair. You can direct questions to either of them. dblair@interweave.com or dfox@interweave.com.

Liver of sulfur is fine, but mixed media techniques (painting, etc) are questionable. Basically, you can use a mixed media component if you can buy it pre-made someplace, like if you offer it for sale in your etsy store, etc. Wire work needs to be simple enough that you can write understandable instructions without step by step photos. Its hard to know where to draw the line there, so my best advice is to err on the side of caution.

Hope that helps,

Erin S

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Not Ranked
Posts 14
mjanders wrote
on Mar 1, 2011 11:17 AM

Thank you, Erin, that does help a lot. I do a lot of mixed media and wirework, so it helps to have some clearer ideas about what is allowed--to me the rules were a bit vague, and some of the pieces in the 2011 contest pushed at the limits. It's a bit tricky designing something really unique, but not SO unique that it can never be replicated, but that's of course part of the interest in the contest. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me. :-)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 2, 2011 7:04 AM

Kay,

Did you every get a clear answer as to your eligibility to enter Bead Star? I am just curious to see if I was correct in my thoughts about it.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 22
on Mar 2, 2011 9:10 AM

I am new to the forum. Sorry to hear the $25.00 and under is being eliminated.

Does any one know if components made from metal clay (silver, bronze, copper) are OK under the description of  "Any Metal" - are eligible. Or does all components have to be commercially made. Most of the components are made using basic techniques for metal clay, and are easy to described in instruction form. 

Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Mar 2, 2011 9:23 AM

BenvenutiStudios:

Does any one know if components made from metal clay (silver, bronze, copper) are OK under the description of  "Any Metal" - are eligible. Or does all components have to be commercially made. Most of the components are made using basic techniques for metal clay, and are easy to described in instruction form. 

I'm pretty sure these would be allowed, BUT they have to be available for purchase. So if you make something from metal clay to use in your design, then it has to be available to others to purchase it. You can't use your instructions on how to make the item from clay though.

If you plan on using it for your piece, and you end up winning, you'll have to make those same beads available for others to buy.

For instance- Erin S. above won in the hearts category using a pendant she created herself. Since materials have to be available to purchase, Erin made and listed the pendant she used in her necklace in her Etsy shop for others to buy.

Hope this helps.

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Not Ranked
Posts 22
on Mar 3, 2011 9:45 AM

Thank You - this helps answer my question

Not Ranked
Posts 13
jbogner2 wrote
on Mar 15, 2011 2:11 PM

Sorry to let this go on without an answer so long! To address a couple of the questions:

1. We eliminated under $25 because it was the least popular category with the smallest number of entrants. There just wasn't enough competition in that category to support keeping it. Sorry if you really wanted to enter that one, but if you've got a great piece, enter it in another category!

2. Free subscriptions to 3rd place winners was supposed to make it into the rules (not sure why it didn't) but we'll offer those to 3rd place winners- we've had to trim back the cash prizes in order to allow for a more streamlined sponsorship structure (it was all over the place last year and hard to keep track of who was sponsoring what prize in which category- the new structure will pair one sponsor with each category and really, really simplify things. It's also worth noting that there's no entry fee for Bead Star, which is a pretty good deal compared to other competitions- you can still win significant prizes without paying a dime to enter!  : )

3. Voting will still take place online, but we're moving voting over to BeadingDaily.com rather than the old system with voting on Beadstar.com. Voters will need to be logged in to Beading Daily to vote, but as a result the contest will have much higher visibility and easy social media integration- you can automatically share your favorites!

4. Melanie has indeed moved on to another publishing company closer to her home in Denver, and Danielle and Debbie from Stringing are now in charge of Bead Star.

5. You can still use strung seed beads in pieces- no restriction there. But you have to admit, running a competition named "Bead Star" while not allowing bead stitched entries in the "seed bead" category is a bit strange, no?

6. We love bead stitching, we love stringing, we love metal and wire- there is absolutely NO bias in judging in any direction. We're inspired by beautiful jewelry no matter what technique you choose to make it with.

I'm happy to answer any more questions. Get those submissions in quick- only two more weeks until the deadline!

Jamie Bogner
Editorial Director, Interweave Jewelry Group

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 96
Sandra242 wrote
on Mar 16, 2011 8:57 AM
Good morning!
I had a question about the 2011 Bead Star contest rules. I am new to the contest and read and re-read the contest rules several times and am still unsure, so please excuse my ignorance. Can you use some weave techniques in other categories other than seed beads? It is not stated as so in the rules anywhere. In fact it states exactly; "All designs must be the original work of the entrant and must be jewelry (bracelets, necklaces, or earrings) created using basic techniques, such as simple stringing, crimping, basic knotting (not macramé), and wireworking (simple loops, wrapped loops, wrapped-loop bails, jump rings) techniques, and beadweaving techniques (netting, peyote, brick, and square stitches, for example)."
So my question more specifically is: if I wanted to for example, enter the crystal category but string them in a right angle weave along with strung beads, could I do that?
Thanks for any clarification!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Mar 16, 2011 9:02 AM

Sandra this is a bit confusing in the rules and Erin S. (previous poster to this thread) emailed one of the editors about it.

From what she was told, weaving is accepted only in the seed beads category. This may have changed by now, but as of a month or so back, she was told weaving was for seed beads only.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Mar 16, 2011 9:15 AM

jbogner2:
. You can still use strung seed beads in pieces- no restriction there. But you have to admit, running a competition named "Bead Star" while not allowing bead stitched entries in the "seed bead" category is a bit strange, no?

No, actually it's not strange at all. There are countless contests that feature weaving and this contest  was the one untouched by weaving. Of all the many many many contests out there, simple stringing and wire work never pail to weaving. The grand scale of what can be done with seed beads, even using "simple" techniques, far outweighs what can be done with stringing/wirework and still keeping it simple enough to qualify for this contest, especially since there are not photos used in directions. Sad that Bead Star/Interweave decided to be like all the others and add it here.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Mar 17, 2011 9:17 AM

Sandra242:
Good morning!
I had a question about the 2011 Bead Star contest rules. I am new to the contest and read and re-read the contest rules several times and am still unsure, so please excuse my ignorance. Can you use some weave techniques in other categories other than seed beads? It is not stated as so in the rules anywhere. In fact it states exactly; "All designs must be the original work of the entrant and must be jewelry (bracelets, necklaces, or earrings) created using basic techniques, such as simple stringing, crimping, basic knotting (not macramé), and wireworking (simple loops, wrapped loops, wrapped-loop bails, jump rings) techniques, and beadweaving techniques (netting, peyote, brick, and square stitches, for example)."
So my question more specifically is: if I wanted to for example, enter the crystal category but string them in a right angle weave along with strung beads, could I do that?
Thanks for any clarification!

Sandra I just received an email from Debbie Blair, who is now taking over Bead Star along with Danielle Fox, answering this question.

Seed Beads is the ONLY category which weaving is accepted. Just thought I would post again since I received the info myself from her.

Hope this helps!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Mar 18, 2011 10:46 AM

Hi everyone,

I just got back from bead fest Santa Fe and met editor Danielle Fox. I was able to talk to her about some of the confusion with the new rules about Bead Star.

Cat is correct--the ONLY category that allows bead weaving techniques is the seed bead category. ALL other categories must be stringing/wirework. If you want to do a piece that incorporates other materials like crystals or pearls with beadweaving, the Fire Mountain Gems contest is a good venue for that.

I'm glad they decided to at least offer a free subscription for 3rd place--that's a step in the right direction.

As was mentioned in an earlier post, the judges will be choosing finalists again this year (although I didn't realize there would 40 instead of the previous 20). That makes it easier to get into the finals, but also that is a lot of entries for voters to wade through, (40 entries x 8 categories) so I'm not sure if I agree with that decision.

I encourage everyone to enter--winning the grand prize is incredible, and the trip to Santa Fe was really cool. The excellent Interweave staff took care of everything, including a free class of my choice and even spending money, so this is a prize worth playing for! You still have a few weeks to come up with an awesome design--give it your best effort! Good luck, everyone!

Erin S

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 55
Mortira wrote
on Apr 1, 2011 10:24 AM

I'm really excited about being able to enter the contest this year. I hope the kinks get worked out - I think having a bit of weaving thrown in could be good for everyone!

Does anyone know if it is acceptable to publish photographs of our entries on public blogs? Not necessarily to mention that it is a Bead Star entry. I'd like to write a post about the design I entered, but it would be published before voting ends.

Thanks!

Inspirational Beading - tutorials, bead spotlights and plenty of inspiration!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
on Apr 1, 2011 8:39 PM

did something change in the contest rules and the dead line? I printed them out a while agoit looked like the dead line was in May  and just by chance I went on line to look at them again and then I saw today it is the 8th I am getting my stuff ready to submit but I would have missed it!

so glad I didn't becuse I have been working on stuff al year

thanks

amanda

" the future belongs to those who belives in the beauty of their dreams"

Eleanor Roosevelt

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Page 3 of 4 (57 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS