Joining the Wrap Bracelet Craze

Feb 26, 2012

If you're like me, you've seen them everywhere--on the arms of celebrities, gracing the pages of Etsy and clothing catalogs--and it looks as though wrap bracelets continue to be one of the hottest trends in jewelry.

Last summer, I had the privilege of designing a leather wrap bracelet for our bracelet-themed eMag, Everyday Bracelets. My office mates have wanted to learn the ropes, so to speak, ever since, so we recently sat down for a little workshop over the lunch hour.

Everyone came to the table with a different concept of what they wanted their bracelet to look like, and it was fun seeing the combinations of beads, leather, and buttons. Working in a group setting like that always makes me think "why didn't I think of that?" Once everyone established their pattern and got into a rhythm, it was easy to make a lot of progress in a short amount of time. We took our partially-finished bracelets home to work on, then met up a few days later to learn how to finish off the ends.

In the end, we all realized that it's easy to make your own for far less than those shown in the catalogs, using only a handful of materials. And I love the fact that they're totally customizable. You can create one that wraps around your arm as many times as you like, and the variety of color combinations and bead types are as endless as your imagination (and budget!).

We'd love to see your version! Did you know that you can share photos of your own handmade jewelry with others in the Beading Daily community? Just visit the home page and click on the Reader Photo Gallery to upload. If you're itching to make a wrap bracelet of your own, grab a copy of  our interactive eMag, Everyday Bracelets, for the PC, Mac, or iPad, which features easy-to-follow step-by-step photos and instructions for the wrap bracelet, plus more than a dozen other fun and funky bracelet designs!

Happy creating!

Comments

julesck41 wrote
on Feb 27, 2012 5:30 PM

love wrap bracelets also , i've made several myself

andyb@6 wrote
on Mar 3, 2012 10:39 AM

The link you provide to the Everyday Bracelets eMag takes me to an issue that does not include the wrap bracelet.  Is that issue still available?

CarpenterB wrote
on Mar 3, 2012 2:35 PM

It appears that this emag does contain the wrap bracelet instructions.  The two bracelets on the cover that are to the far left are both wrap bracelets.  Am I correct?

Debbie.Blair wrote
on Mar 5, 2012 2:45 PM

AndyB: I'm sorry the link isn't working for you. You can get there by going to interweavestore.com and searching for Everyday Bracelets. That's the only publication so far where we've included instructions for a wrap bracelet. The issue is electronic, meaning it is available to download to your PC, Mac, or iPad.

CarpenterB: the orange bracelet on the left side of the cover is the wrap bracelet (it looks like 2 because it is wrapped around this person's wrist twice). The examples in the blog show some that wrap twice and one that wraps three times.

Sandra Mac wrote
on Mar 9, 2012 10:13 PM

I also love wrap bracelets and have made a number of them.  I was, however, wondering in the pictures of your office mates they were beading on white boards are they foam core boards?  If not what are they? They look like they work well to make wrap bracelets.

DanielleF@9 wrote
on Mar 13, 2012 5:00 PM

Sandra: You're right! We had some extra foam core around the office and cut strips of it to make surfaces on which to make the bracelets.

Sandra Mac wrote
on Mar 13, 2012 8:58 PM

Danielle, Thanks for letting me know it was form core you were using, I will give it a try myself.