Stitch Pro: Bead a Rope with 2-hole Super Duo or Twin seed beads

Oct 24, 2013

If the number of 2-hole seed-bead project submissions the Beadwork team has been getting is any indication, the Super Duo/Twin craze is reaching a fever pitch with beaders. From flower shapes to right-angle weave bands, herringbone-stitched strips to bezeled rivolis, designers are incorporating these uniquely shaped beads into every type of beading stitch and structure.

So maybe that's why I woke up this morning thinking, "What about 2-hole beaded ropes?" Honoring that first thought of the day, I got out my Super Duos and did a little tubular peyote-stitching to form this interesting rope. Curious to know how? Just follow along:

Rounds 1 and 2: Use 3' of thread to string 6 beads, leaving an 8" tail. Use the tail and working thread to tie a strong square knot then pass through the beads again. Exit through the first bead strung, then step up for the next and subsequent rounds by passing through the second hole of the last bead exited. Note: The thread direction will change with each round.

Round 3: String 1 bead, skip 1 bead of the previous round, and pass through the top hole of next bead; repeat twice. Step up.

Note: When you tighten this round, the beads will snap into a tube formation.

Round 4: String 1 bead and pass through the top hole of the next bead of the previous round; repeat twice. Step up.

Rounds 5 - on: Repeat Round 4 to the desired length.

Finish: To end, add 1 size 11 seed bead between each bead of the previous round to even off the rope end. Secure the working thread and trim. Repeat using the tail thread.

So, what do you think? You can use this tubular peyote-stitched rope as a chain for a focal bead or pendant, add a clasp to wear as a necklace, or do like I did and connect the ends to form a roll-on bangle.

Have you worked rope techniques using 2-hole seed beads? Which stitch did you use? Did you embellish your rope? Please share your experiences with other readers here on Inside Beadwork so we can all learn.

Happy beading!

Jean Campbell

Senior editor, Beadwork magazine

Comments

RED_Beads wrote
on Oct 24, 2013 10:15 PM

I think this just goes to show that there really is nothing new under the sun ... see the link below:

zrzavakocka.cz/.../navod-dutinka-z-dvoudirkovych-koralku-superduo

I've had a go at making this rope, and it works up very nicely - a bit thicker than I normally like for my necklaces, but it would work as a design feature for some styles.

I wonder if the people making the super duos would ever consider doing a size 15 version?

Regards

Ruth Davies

SharonA wrote
on Oct 26, 2013 9:51 AM

Good idea, Ruth!  It would be fun to work with the Super Duos in a petite format.

beadbiddy wrote
on Oct 26, 2013 10:57 AM

My problem with this method and many other suggested ideas for superduos or twins is that a little thread shows when you make the pass to the second hole. So up to now I've been embellishing those thread passes with a couple of 11o or three 15o. I'll have to try this rope and see if the visible thread bothers me -- if it does, perhaps adding a little embellishment on each of those passes will provide a pretty little spiral around the rope...

SandraJ@20 wrote
on Oct 26, 2013 1:13 PM

Jean, I really appreciate all the new ideas you provide and you do a good job explaining them as well as providing photos to follow for us editorially-challenged folks!  lol.

I was wondering if you have any hints on how to modify a bracelet pattern to turn it into a necklace pattern.  Is there a formula for how many beads to decrease/increase to make the piece curve appropriately to lay right on your neck?  Hope you understand what I'm asking.  I've searched the web and haven't found anything yet!

on Oct 26, 2013 9:41 PM

SandraJ--

Thanks for the nice note! So glad you like the posts...I like doing them!

In answer to your question, I modify bracelet/necklace patterns all the time, but I'm not sure there's a pat formula on how to do it since there are so many different jewelry structures. Let me chew on this idea a bit, though...you may see a post about it soon!

Jean

on Oct 27, 2013 9:04 PM

Here's how I'd figure it out: First, you'll need to know the number of  beads in your bracelet - let's call that "bracelet quantity." And call the length of the beaded portion (not including the clasp) "bracelet length." Then, using a mirror, I'd experiment draping the bracelet to determine how low I would like the finished necklace to hang. Now (and here's where I'd wish for an extra set of hands) measure the length of your desired finished necklace. Subtract the length of the clasp you'll be using for the necklace, and call what remains the "necklace length." Then it's just a math formula: "necklace length" multiplied by "bracelet quantity," then divided by "bracelet length" will give you the "necklace quantity" (or number of beads for your desired length of necklace).