Welcome to Inside Beadwork Magazine

Aug 29, 2012

Welcome to Inside Beadwork Magazine! We couldn't be more excited to launch our new blog where, on a weekly basis, we'll bring you up-to-date community events, let you in behind the scenes, share the trends we spot, and simply chat about everything beads. We'd like to kick off our first blog by sharing a few fun facts about ourselves:

Melinda Barta, Editor

--I've tried just about every craft in the book, including glass blowing vases and bowls in 100 degree weather and Japanese embroidery that required magnifying glasses. I spent a semester assisting a blacksmith-I was his "striker," meaning I swung the hammer while he shaped the hot metal. My right arm was very strong!

--I'm the proud parent of a sweet toddler--one of her first words is "beads"!!

--I'm an avid skier and raced in downhill and cross country events in high school. Also, I've been known to skijor with my dog, Toby-we both don harnesses, join them with a long bungee cord, and I hang on tight as he runs and I skate on my cross-country skis through the woods.

Jean Campbell, Senior Editor

--I was in the corps de ballet for a classical Russian ballet company in my 20s, but my height made it necessary to often play men's roles.

--Though I was tall as a ballerina, at 5' 8", I'm actually vertically challenged in my own family. My sister is 6' tall and my 4 brothers range in height from 6' 4" to 6' 8".

--I can eat like a lumberjack with a tapeworm.

Mallory Leonard, Associate Editor

--Growing up, I'd miss the first month of school each year to tool around the country with my family in an RV, bagging history lessons on the road. By age 13, I'd been to all 50 states.

--I'm a lifelong choirgirl and have sung in venues around the world, including in England, Italy, Korea, and Carnegie Hall.

--Early in my college career, I went to culinary school on the East Coast, where I donned a wetsuit and joined the sailing team, and served chocolate on a silver platter to the Duchess of York (changing out of my wetsuit first, of course).

Kate Wilson, Project Editor

--I'm a foodie. I come from a huge Sicilian family who loves to eat, and our family events are always centered around food. Now I'm married into a family of professional chefs. I'm destined for gourmet goodness.

--My husband taught me to fly fish, and now I have my own fly rod, waders, and boots. I can also tie my own flies, and I use many of the same materials that I use for beading.

--I love crafting and editing for magazines, but once upon a time I was a wedding photographer. I still love photography, and pursue it passionately now as a hobby.

Thanks for joining us! Check back each Thursday and, in the meantime, keep in touch with us at www.beadworkmagazine.com/facebook. If you have community or charitable events you'd like mentioned here, email us at beadwork@interweave.com and include "Beadwork blog" in the subject line.

Comments

LoriF@13 wrote
on Aug 30, 2012 12:36 PM

In reply to the "what else do you do" question :-)

-I love music and spend an inordinate amount of time listening to and searching out new music; fortunately....I can bead and listen at the same time!

-I love to travel; now that I am retired, that is curtailed somewhat due to the lack of dollars. However, I have visited all 13 provinces and 26 of the states and hope to find some way to get to the rest of North America. Anyone know of a sugar daddy?

-I love to read...mostly contemporary, character-driven novels; mysteries; and historical fiction...and bead books of course!

Lori

jyhartman wrote
on Aug 30, 2012 12:43 PM

In addition to beading, I like to:

- I love quilting and making candles.

- I've been a lifetime student so I'm always going to school. I just wish I had audio schoolbooks so I could listen to my book while beading.

- I'm a military wife and mother of three so there's always something going on.

on Aug 30, 2012 1:48 PM

I've been retired for a little over two years now and my interest in beading really blossomed about 6 - 7 years ago.  Beading became a good way to reduce the stress from work.  Now I bead mostly for the fun of it.

My interests include beading, crochet, reading, walking, and spending time with my husband and our 2 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Maya.  I'm also enjoying being a first time grandmother just this past May.  I have such a beautiful granddaughter!

I also take jewelry making classes which has become more of a place to socialize with other headers and is a source of inspiration.

NancyG@83 wrote
on Aug 30, 2012 1:59 PM

What else do I do?

I sail competitively in the single person paralympic boat.  My 2.4mR boat  is 14 ft long and called "HOT FLASH!'  8D

I also ride a recumbent tricycle!

on Aug 30, 2012 2:00 PM

"What else do you do"???

Interior Design and Color Consultant work.

Design is my passion, jewelry design, interior design, color consultant design work and floral design.  Someone once said to me....."design is design".  How true!

Color is a huge part of my life, a necessity in all design work.

Chris

Kate@180 wrote
on Aug 30, 2012 2:46 PM

When I'm not beading, I am wife to my hubby, mom to two sweet little girls, work for the boy scouts, row, walk/run, play bass, and read. I am living my dreams:)

Melinda25 wrote
on Aug 30, 2012 2:49 PM

In addition to beading, I do wirework, crochet etc, and when I am not doing it, I think about doing it, about what to do next, or I look at other people's wonderful beading...

Seriously, there are times when "have a life" ( as my kids say) then I love reading and spending time with my animals.

jlee1057 wrote
on Aug 30, 2012 10:41 PM

Besides doing beading and chainmaille I:

Play the drums, piano, recorder, and flute. I have a drum set in the attic, where I can shut the door and crank up the music.

Bicycle and hike.

Do folk dancing and contra dancing.

Do surface embroidery; particularly like stumpwork and Elizabethan embroidery.

MadelynM@3 wrote
on Aug 30, 2012 11:01 PM

Well what do I do when I"m not beading.....First it would be making my own candles,soap and such....Then we have the knitting, if it's cold outside...Then there is the embroidery work,,,,,Polymer clay.....Resin Jewerly....Oh and I almost forgot Fusing Glass....Seems as if I have enough to keep me busy but I always seem to return to beading....I love making beaded flowers.....And last buy not least  is reading....I manage to read 3-4 books a month also.....Computor games also....I think that's all!!!!  Have a great day....Madelyn

P.S. I thought about music but then my music is on all day so I don't count that....

on Aug 31, 2012 12:17 AM

What else do you do?

August 31, 2012

At this very moment, my husband and I have cruised the entire Inside Passage in our 47 foot Jefferson. We just arrived in Skagway, Alaska yesterday. Yay! We left just north of Seattle on July 10th. When we were south of Juneau we volunteered to rescue two men and their boat and return them to Juneau the next day. Everyone arrived safe and sound. When we leave Skagway tomorrow, we're heading to Glacier Bay and our final stop will be Sitka, Alaska before returning our boat to Washington state for winter storage. We have enjoyed cruising the pacific northwest the last four years. I am a licensed life & health insurance agent (however, not active at the moment with all the traveling). We have six granddaughter's. Two of them are identical twins. I collect vintage rhinestone jewelry,  resin bangle bracelets, teapots, chintzware, and Staffordshire tobies. I live with rheumatoid arthritis and connective tissue disease everyday.  I am a member of a bead embroidery guild and get inspired by the many talented beadwork artist's. My favorite beading magazine is Beadwork!

- Catherine

Geezer wrote
on Aug 31, 2012 2:47 AM

"What else do I do"

I sail, with my husband, a 44 foot Bavaria in the Kornati Island, Croatia, we are there now until the end of September then we take our RV to Spain for the winter. We love to travel and spent a year in the USA travelling in our RV, we did 25,000 miles and 24 states, before shipping the RV back to England to start our European travels. I first joined a beading class in Rockport, Texas at one of the campsites and I have been beading ever since, it is something that I can take where ever I go, but I also enjoy quilting, painting, embroidery, cross stitch, bobbin lace making and of course reading about all the crafts I enjoy.

Lxs wrote
on Aug 31, 2012 5:54 AM

Well , when I'm not beading in the summer, I'm swimming. The beach is only 5 minutes away, so I'm usually down there...

Winter months are usually spent with my beads. I  also love to make sock animals for the grand kiddies, knit and some crochet... But I usually get bored and return to my beads...

LRye wrote
on Jan 21, 2014 4:43 PM

I just bought the Feb/Mar issue---specifically for "glam up your beading with rhinestone chain"....I've been through the magazine three times---am I missing something?...maybe I'm just reading through it too fast, but I can't find it anywhere.