Beadwork Pattern Play Challenge

Apr 29, 2009

Beadwork Pattern Play Challenge

Deadline: August 3, 2009

Did you enjoy seeing how five designers created projects inspired by swatches of pattern in the June/July issue of Beadwork (page 56, Pattern Play Challenge)?  Did you check out the two free charts of MaryLou Holvenstot's Limelight Leopard in alternate colorways?  Now it’s your turn to play along.

How to Enter

To enter, simply pick a pattern (be it from nature, your favorite shirt, or as we did, a piece of scrapbooking paper), make a project inspired by it, and e-mail us a JPEG (about 1MB) that includes your creation and pattern swatch to beadwork@interweave.com by August 3, 2009.

Winners

The following will be featured on beadingdaily.com in late August: the first entry received, editors’ choice, the most off-the-wall design, and the project that contains the most seed beads. Editors’ choice will also be published in an upcoming issue of Beadwork.

Photos

Please aim for your photograph to be 300 dpi at 3" x 5." For tips on photographing your work, visit 3 Steps to Better Beadwork Photos.

Challenge Rules

• One entry per person, please (so send us your best work!).
  • Submissions must be of the type you would see in Beadwork magazine—in other words, projects created using beadweaving techniques (such as netting; peyote, brick, right-angle weave, and square stitches; bead embroidery; etc.), stringing, crimping, wireworking (simple loops, wrapped loops, jump rings), and knotting techniques.
  • Please include in the subject line of the email: Pattern Play Challenge. Please also include your complete contact information—name, address, phone number, and e-mail address—in the body of your e-mail.

General Rules

Winners will be chosen by the editors of Beadwork; all decisions of the editors shall be made at their sole and absolute discretion and will be final.

By entering, entrant is assuring Interweave Press that entrant possesses the right to submit all entry materials for use by Interweave Press as described in these contest rules without the consent or approval of any third party, and Interweave Press is entitled to rely on entrant’s right to do so.

By entering the Beadwork Challenge, each entrant is granting to Interweave Press the perpetual, exclusive, and royalty-free right to: (a) use the photograph(s) and other entry materials submitted by the entrant without photo credit(s) for the photographer(s) who took the photograph(s), (b) photograph and reproduce the entry in the various print and electronic publications of Interweave Press and the advertising, publicity, promotional and marketing materials of Interweave Press in any and all media, and (c) use the name, image, likeness, and biographical data of the finalists and winners in connection with all of the foregoing uses.

The entrant guarantees the work is original and that he/she is the sole creator of the work.

The contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law.

Be sure to check out our contests page for lots of other opportunities to win!

Comments

MarissaM wrote
on May 8, 2009 7:32 AM
Those projects in the magazine were great! Before I even saw that this was a contest, my friend and I decided to do it, but we are going to pick out the pattern for each other :) Thanks for such a fun new project!
on May 13, 2009 8:20 AM
What a great way to get started! I can’t wait to see what you come up with. Melinda ____________ Melinda Barta Editor, Beadwork
MelindaF@7 wrote
on May 18, 2009 5:18 AM
Dear Melinda: Does the project have to be a piece of jewelry, or can it be a sculptural piece, wall hanging, etc.? Thanks! This looks like fun...another Melinda
tonjal wrote
on May 18, 2009 11:19 AM
You don't mention polymer clay. Is it acceptable as long as it has a pattern?
Ajewel2 wrote
on May 18, 2009 9:30 PM
Tonjal: Me, too. I work in polymer clay. Can it be considered in the contest? Laura, NY
Gyspy Mary wrote
on May 18, 2009 10:36 PM
I have challenge my daughter to enter the contest, I will too. I would like to know, if it has to be jewelry?wall hanging or home?office accessory done in orginal pattern with beads,?clay?thanks, Mary b
DeonD wrote
on May 18, 2009 10:52 PM
I think this is a great idea, and a good way to help me get out of the bead bog! Thanks for having a contest. Think I'll probably join in. Deon
tonjal wrote
on May 19, 2009 12:54 AM
Hmmm, no answer to the polymer clay question? Well, since the magazine accepts polymer clay articles I am just going to enter and hope they accept it :)
on May 27, 2009 2:33 AM
I have attempted the Pixelated Peyote pattern no less than 7 times, but no matter what size beads I used, the pattern puckers very badly, and this is even after I left at least 1 inch of slack in the knotted circle. The designer says to tie the knot tightly...How is it possible to add in beads then? In addition, I had to substitute size 15 or 13 beads for rare size 14 beads that the pattern calls for in the 2nd row. Since 13 is not that much different than 14, it should, in theory, work but it doesn't. The pattern still buckles badly. Furthermore, I had to substitute Fireline for Nymo, since I had to undo the project so many times that the nylon thread was shredded and unusable. I'm wondering if anyone else had these challenges? I'd like to hear from Melinda Barta. It certainly appears that the project worked for her, according to the pictures, but I simply cannot figure out what I'm doing incorrectly (if I am).
on Jun 24, 2009 12:21 PM
Yes, you are more than welcome to work in polymer clay. We've already received some great entries--keep them coming! Melinda - - - - - - Melinda Barta Editor, Beadwork
dilsencortez wrote
on Jun 29, 2009 8:15 AM
Buen dia. Me encanta la joyeria, especialmente el wirework y como tengo impedimentos fisicos, me distraigo mucho viendo los trabajos en sus pag web. He comprado libros en estos meses pasados de beading a Uds. Muchas gracias por todo a lo que yo pueda accesar. Dilsen.
MaryanneW@6 wrote
on Jul 18, 2009 1:36 AM
Hi there - just wondering if this comp is open to international beaders at all, or is it solely for American beaders/readers? :) Maryanne