My Beading Tools Wish List

Jun 18, 2014

Have you ever seen a new beading tool in a magazine or online and just think, "I've GOT to have that!"? You tell yourself all the usual stuff: it's an investment. It's a treat. Sure, I have plenty of room for more beading tools. What's one more?

As my beading habit has grown and I branch out to explore new techniques for jewelry making and bead-weaving, I've found that some more specialized tools come in handy. These days, I'm more likely to spend more on new beading tools than I am on beads (wow!), and I'm finding that they are indeed a good investment. After looking through some of my favorite beading supply companies online, I found a few items that I need to add to my collection of beading tools this year.

Like I tell my 6-year-old, I hate guessing at things -- especially when it comes to sizing my bracelets. Making a beaded bangle bracelet would be so much easier if I had one of these wrist sizers! No more messing around with string and adhesive tape for me, and my peyote stitch bangle bracelets would come out the perfect size every time. It's not that I don't love spending time beading, but stitching for an hour and then tearing it all out just isn't appealing to me anymore.
I've been playing around so much with wire lately, that a pair of these 1-Step Looping Pliers from the BeadSmith are next on my beading tools wish list. Sure, I'm getting fairly proficient at making my own eye pins for beaded dangles and earring components, but to be honest with you, when I sit down to make loops on three dozen pieces of wire, I get lazy -- I'd rather be beading or designing than making all those loops!
Last, but not least, are the Bead On It Boards. I mean, sure, I already have, what, 4 or 5 of these? But you can never have too many bead boards in your stash. These are, hands down, the best beading board that I've ever used. I love the colors and the fabrics, the little bumpers around the edges that keep the beads from rolling away into oblivion, and most of all, I love how sturdy they feel.

Of course, my favorite way to stay informed about what's new and noteworthy in the realm of beading tools is with my subscription to Beadwork magazine. And just in case you need to test out your new beading tools, you'll find some of the most artistic, technically challenging beading projects in there, too. Subscribe to Beadwork magazine so you don't miss a single issue!

Do you have a special beading tool on your wish list? Why would you like to add it to your collection? Leave a comment here on the Beading Daily blog and share your thoughts with us!

Bead Happy,

Jennifer

Comments

weedbeaver wrote
on Jun 18, 2014 11:25 AM

Where oh where do I find that wrist sizer??

on Jun 18, 2014 11:30 AM

I bought my wrist sizer on Etsy.  I wrote a whole blog post on it, if you want to read more:  www.beadingdaily.com/.../making-bracelets-that-fit.aspx

latkins48 wrote
on Jun 18, 2014 12:05 PM

Love my 1-Step Looper! I wasn't sure about it, but I made some earrings for 8 bridesmaids and they were lots of crystal dangles off a piece of chain, over 10 per earring. My hands got cramped and I bought one of these as soon as I found it.

I am waiting for my shipment, but I just bought one of the new Beadalon Knot-a-Bead tools and can't wait to try it out. I've tried hand knotting and even using one of the manual tools, but it doesn't seem to come out right for me.

jabes wrote
on Jun 18, 2014 12:21 PM

I haven't used my 1-step looper all that much because the loops it makes don't feel very secure.  That might be an artifact of my inherent dislike of simple loops as opposed to wrapped loops, but it just feels like the loops are stronger and rounder when I make them on my round-nose pliers.  Any advice from someone who likes the looper?

Bev@111 wrote
on Jun 18, 2014 12:26 PM

Where can I find the bead board?

Bev@111 wrote
on Jun 18, 2014 12:26 PM

Where can I find the bead board?

Bev@111 wrote
on Jun 18, 2014 12:26 PM

Where can I find the bead board?

bhenderson2 wrote
on Jun 18, 2014 12:32 PM

The wrist sizer would also be a great help with thicker bracelets so you are no guessing about how much extra length you need to compensate.

MelanieD@17 wrote
on Jun 18, 2014 12:34 PM

I love my 1 step looper!  In fact they have another one out that makes a larger loop and I've added it to my wish list now!

origcin wrote
on Jun 18, 2014 12:39 PM

The beading boards are at http://www.beadonitboards.com/    I love mine! Worth every penny!

fletch805 wrote
on Jun 18, 2014 12:47 PM

I attended the Bead & Button show in Milwaukee a few weeks ago.  There was a new tool called the 1 step Ear Wire tool - made by The Bead Buddy company.   I saw the info in the show brochure and went to see if for myself.  Super easy to use.   This might be something to add to your beading tool wish list.  I think it will be in stores sometime in August.  I'm definitely getting one!!

Harissew4u wrote
on Jun 18, 2014 1:36 PM

UK beaders can buy the wrist sizer on Ebay UK no charge for posting.  A very useful tool.

joanelsa wrote
on Jun 18, 2014 6:59 PM

Don't waste your money and/or time on the Beadsmith one-step looping pliers. They aren't worth the trouble. Luckily, the store where I bought them took them back.

joanelsa wrote
on Jun 18, 2014 6:59 PM

on Jun 18, 2014 8:49 PM

I just watched the looper video.  It's hard to tell exactly how much, but It seems to waste a lot of material to me.  Is there any way to find out the distance between the cutter and the hole on the other side of the tool?  From what I saw, I wouldn't trust that loop with anything finer than 20 gauge.  I'd love to hear what concerns people had about the tool.  Joanelsa?

on Jun 18, 2014 8:49 PM

cvkathy wrote
on Jun 22, 2014 12:09 PM

I had read the less than positive reviews about the looping pliers and purchased them anyway. I've found them to be pretty awesome. Yes, a wrapped wire loop will be more secure, but being able to make a whole buttload of earrings very quickly sort of trumps the security.

Additionally, I have some heavy-gauge head pins that were very difficult to work with. The loopers whipped those things right into shape.

cvkathy wrote
on Jun 22, 2014 12:10 PM

cvkathy wrote
on Jun 22, 2014 12:10 PM

cvkathy wrote
on Jun 22, 2014 12:10 PM

rlbdhome wrote
on Jun 24, 2014 3:04 PM

I would love one of those wrist sizers, too.  Where can I get one?