Get the Scoop on My Favorite Bead Scoops

Oct 7, 2013

The bead scoop is one of those beading tools that doesn't seem very important. At least, it doesn't seem very important until you find yourself with a huge mess of seed beads on your bead mat that need to go back in their respective tubes to avoid creating yet another little baggie of bead soup in your stash. Am I right? After finding myself caught in places like airports and trains without my favorite bead scoop, when I'm packing my beads for a road trip, even if it's just for a night of beading with friends, I make sure that the first thing that goes into my tote bag is my bead scoop.

Just like any other important beading tool, finding the right bead scoop is really a matter of personal choice. There are lots of different kinds of bead scoops available out there, but here are the three that I use the most often when I'm beading:

The EZ Scoop is one of my favorites for quick and easy re-packaging of seed beads. I use this scoop mostly for size 11 and size 8 seed beads, or for whenever I need to put my seed beads back into a narrow plastic tube. If you work in pharmacy, you might recognize these: they are nearly identical to the ones I used to use when I worked as a compounding pharmacy technician to measure and weigh ingredients that went into making custom prescription medications for patients!
Triangle scoops are a must-have for anyone who likes to work with larger beads like fire polish or round druks. Scooping up a large number of 3mm or 4mm beads is much easier when you use one of these bead scoops. The large, triangular shape doesn't allow the beads to roll away as easily as other kinds of bead scoops, and the tips fit nicely into just about any size plastic bag for re-packaging your beads.
Last, but not least, I was given one of these little bead scoops as part of a goody bag when I first started learning how to bead. It's bright purple, and even though it's not very practical for use with larger beads, it works perfectly with my size 15 seed beads when I'm trying to scoop those itty bitty beads back into their plastic tubes and boxes. This is also the scoop that I travel with most often, as it takes up less space in my small carry pouch so that I have more room for the beads.

Get the scoop on new beads, new beading tools, and see the latest awesome beaded jewelry design ideas from your favorite bead artists when you subscribe to Jewelry Stringing magazine. Each issue is full of new products, techniques from simple to advanced, and dozens of beading projects that you can make right now! Subscribe to Jewelry Stringing magazine and enjoy year-round inspiration for your jewelry-making and beading projects.

Do you have a favorite bead scoop? Leave a comment here on the Beading Daily blog and share it with us!

Bead Happy,

Jennifer

Comments

on Oct 7, 2013 7:33 AM

I also like to use the metal triangle, but always carry a few little plastic spoons in my bead bag.  I get these for free when I buy BlueBunny individual ice cream cartons.  They are attached to the inside of the lid.  I have also saved the little plastic spoons that you get from sample tasteings when you walk thru the Sams club.  These make great little scoops and I save them to pass out to my beading students during my class.

jillson wrote
on Oct 7, 2013 8:01 AM

without a scoop?  Use a serrated grapefruit spoon for seed beads.  Works great!

krisclark3 wrote
on Oct 7, 2013 8:30 AM

I use all three of these bead scoops pretty much the way you do..   If I don't have one handy for seed beads, I find the cap from the bead tube scoops them up pretty well.

Beadiecat wrote
on Oct 7, 2013 8:40 AM

Yes I do have a favorite scoop. The third one that you show in your post is the one I love. It's great for separating beads and as you said is easy to travel with. I have a few of them, and I want to buy a few more!

Tapestrygal wrote
on Oct 7, 2013 8:49 AM

The EZ Scoop looks great, will try to find one. I generally use my son's baby spoon.

Laurel B wrote
on Oct 7, 2013 9:12 AM

I just tape up little scoops from the cardboard packaging from my pony needles.  They are thin enough to pick up even tiny beads, and I can flatten them for travel. The best part of course is that they are recycled.  It's only a little bit of packaging, but it means I am not 'consuming' something else as well.

Pam Thomas wrote
on Oct 7, 2013 9:32 AM

Hi - I enjoy your daily articles and look forward to reading them each day. Can you please tell me where I can find the bracelets shown for Jewelry Stringing? Are they in the current version?

Thanks! Pam

BeeJay4 wrote
on Oct 7, 2013 9:58 AM

My favorite beading "scoop" is a baby spoon.  I actually have two of them.  The spoons have about a 3-4" handle and are narrow like an iced tea spoon. I also use the triangle scoop and have one of the small sccops.

Bj Clouston

KandyD wrote
on Oct 7, 2013 10:37 AM

I use all of these scoops as well as the one that is a small square shovel that has the tweezers  as the handle.  I also use the small flip top boxes.  They easily get into the corners of the trays.

KandyD wrote
on Oct 7, 2013 10:37 AM

KandyD wrote
on Oct 7, 2013 10:38 AM

Susanbs725 wrote
on Oct 7, 2013 11:18 AM

I use the cap of my bead tube all the time - no other scoop!

stonepylon wrote
on Oct 7, 2013 12:20 PM

My all-time favorite scoop is a baby spoon. I have 3, all the same pattern, with a slightly pointed, though rounded, tip. Gets into everything but very tight corners and replaces every other scoop for me.

on Oct 7, 2013 12:52 PM

I prefer a plastic spoon. I find it is very easy to manipulate when sorting beads. For scooping it is great and the tip guides beads right into the tube! I tried the EZ scoop but didn't find it as versatile as my good ole cheap plastic picnic spoon. If it gets staticy(?) just wipe it with a piece of fabric softener sheet and if it breaks just go to the kitchen and get another one!

Patriciakoko wrote
on Oct 7, 2013 2:08 PM

While I don't have a baby (not for many years) I use small demi-tasse spoons and salt spoons (found at resale/antique shops) and they work well since they have a longer handle.

Carmen Moen wrote
on Oct 7, 2013 2:39 PM

Best scoopsI have found are those little collectible  spoons you see in tourist shops.  They come in different  sizes but all small enough to fit with  my bead supplies.  They have a nice sharp edge that goes right under the beads when working on a bead mat.

24klady wrote
on Oct 7, 2013 7:11 PM

I've used commercially made scoops but, by far, my favorite is an old credit card folded lengthwise!  It scrapes beads on rough surfaces (like my suede-lined beading tray); you can separate beads that have drifted into the wrong piles with the corner of the card; then, it is the perfect device to pour into tubes.  Use those "fake" cards you get in the mail that don't have raised numbers....or use your old cards and pound the numbers flat with a hammer.  Try it!  Also, in a pinch, I have used business cards in the same way.

tcwhit wrote
on Oct 7, 2013 9:17 PM

Ok, a bit embarrassing, but my most used "scoop" is actually my fingernail.  They're really long (and yes, they're real) and I can scoop beads both in and out, and separate them quickly, to avoid the soup ingredients.

on Oct 8, 2013 1:54 PM

Great article, Thanks.

My first bead scoop was a 'drinking straw w/a spoon' that was usually given with a Slurpee drink  or a thick milk shake. It proved to work so well that I have provided them for my beginning students for the last 20 years. My favorite current scoop is rectangular without a handle and open on one end. approx 1 1/2 x 2 in. Though I am intrigued by the ones you have in your article.

Valerie Harmon-Curtis

vjhjcjc@gmail.com

Jewelitts wrote
on Oct 8, 2013 6:26 PM

Many of my bead tubes come with a little handle on top of the cap and either screw onto or snuggle into the bead tube.  Holding the handle and using the interior of the cap to scoop the beads works like a gem (pardon the pun!) and I don't need to search for the additional tool -- it's "built in."

on Oct 12, 2013 11:10 PM

I was surprised to read that the bead scoop was not considered an important tool.  ???!!!!  Not for me!  One of the most important tools in my bead arsenal is my scoop with tweezers on the other end.  I use both ends every time I bead.  That means one upstairs, one downstairs, one in the RV, and one in my "travel " bead bag.  Very important!, indeed!

Vix 143 wrote
on Oct 14, 2013 12:56 AM

Looking at the ezy scoop I reckon a pen cover/lid would do that too :-)

MyrnaW@2 wrote
on Oct 21, 2013 6:33 PM

My favoritebead scoop of all time is a plastic teaspoon which works for all kinds of beads and can be shaped for pouring back into a small container. It doesn't cost anything if you used t previously for food and is small enough to go anywhere. It is the only scoop I use.