3 Reasons Why You Should Start a Jewelry Business Right Now

Aug 21, 2013

Have you been thinking about starting a jewelry business selling your handmade beaded jewelry? Do people ask you where they can buy your handmade beaded jewelry when they see you wearing a particularly gorgeous beaded necklace or pair of beaded earrings? If you've been on the fence about starting your own jewelry business, I'm here to tell you the time to do it is right now.

Don't get me wrong: I'm all for a little bit of careful planning before you launch into any venture, particularly something like a business, but if you've been hesitating and procrastinating when it comes to starting your jewelry business, sometimes there's no time like the present. Why should you jump in and start your jewelry business right now? Here are a few reasons:

1. You don't have to do it full-time. In fact, most successful jewelry businesses started as part-time ventures. You don't have to quit your day job right away, and you may not even be able to for a few years, but that's no reason to put off starting your jewelry business right now. Carve out some free time for yourself in the evenings, early in the morning, or on the weekends, and do your research and planning. Check out some local fine craft shows or art galleries, and take a couple of classes or workshops at your local chamber of commerce or business association. Before you know it, you'll find yourself earning money doing what you love -- making beaded jewelry!

2. There are great resources right at your fingertips. If you're reading this blog, chances are that you're already pretty web-savvy. And that means that you have access to literally hundreds -- maybe thousands -- of great online resources to help you start your jewelry business right now. In some areas, you can register online for distance-education courses in basic business skills, listen to pre-recorded teleconferences and webinars, and even register your business with your state! The best part of accessing online education for your jewelry business is that in most cases, you can do it at a time when it's most convenient for you.

3. You don't have to leave your house to earn money selling jewelry. Sure, setting up at high-end craft and art shows is a great way to start building a customer base, but with all the great online marketplaces for selling handmade goods, you can start your jewelry business today, without ever leaving your home! You can market your online shop through social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. And don't forget to set up a blog for your jewelry business, where you can share all the details about how your jewelry is made with potential customers who are looking for something special.

But, the fourth reason, and probably the most important reason of all to start your jewelry business right now...it will make you happy. Because that's really the best reason to start a jewelry business, isn't it? I know very few people who got fabulously rich by selling handmade jewelry, but I know a very large number of people who said that starting their jewelry business (myself included) was the best thing they ever did for themselves.

When you're working on starting up your jewelry business, just remember that the journey is just as important as the destination. You'll be meeting new people and learning new skills, including new jewelry-making techniques as well as things like marketing and photography. And if you're looking for some great videos to enhance your existing jewelry-making and photography skills, take a look at what's available now on Craft Daily. For the price of one online class somewhere else, you can get a full month of access to over one hundred great crafting, jewelry-making, and beading videos, including How to Photograph Your Jewelry with Lapidary Journal Jewelry Artist photographer Jim Lawson.

Have you started up a jewelry business recently? Are you glad that you did? What's the one piece of advice you would give to someone else who is just starting their jewelry business? Share it here and leave a comment on the Beading Daily blog!

Bead Happy,

Jennifer

Comments

Lisalem wrote
on Aug 21, 2013 8:13 AM

I started out on Etsy a couple of years ago. Had some small success but wanted more. I took some of my favorite pieces to a gallery and was turned down. Then I took my jewelry to a wonderful little eclectic shop. They took all the pieces I brought on the spot! I've only been with them 3 months but I am already gaining a following. I totally agree, jump in there and so it! I can't quit my day job yet but I have no doubt that day will come.

sewoolwine wrote
on Aug 21, 2013 8:20 AM

I love seeing people, and, of course, the compliments I receive. One obstacle that I have encountered is the statement, "Everyone is making jewelry these days."  I believed mine is more unique and better quality, plus I do repairs on other people's jewelry. Hopefully, the difference in service will make a difference, because I know people LOVE it! :)

Sharon of Kingdom Jewelry...because what I do is for His Kingdom.

londonlass wrote
on Aug 21, 2013 9:12 AM

I agree entirely with what Jennifer said above about not having to quit your day job (if you have one) but hopefully for all of us jewellery designers and  makers, we can make a few pounds or dollars along the way.  I also agree with 'sewoolwine' wrote below when she said she encounters the problem 'that everyone is making jewellery these days' and that does seem to be a problem over here in the UK.  Certainly where craft fairs and events are concerned, I am forever getting turned down because 'we already have too many jewellery stalls'.  I sell via my own website and also through another craft website called Poppito (based here in the UK) and also out of a crystal shop.  I think my USP is that as a Reiki healer, each piece of my jewellery will pick up some Reiki energy.  I can also recharge each piece before I pack it if required!

jhammerberg wrote
on Aug 21, 2013 9:48 AM

I started my Etsy shop jhammerberg in 2011. I added jewelry in 2012 and things have been going  great since then. As everyone always says pictures are very important. You should expect to spend time promoting your own store regularly on as many exterior sites as possible. Finally, I work full time on my shop and sell quite a bit but don't make enough profit to live on. Unless you make very high end or wholesale I'm not sure if it is possible to support yourself this way. But I agree that it will likely be a source of happiness and pride.

beaddesign wrote
on Aug 21, 2013 12:41 PM

I began beading about 15 years ago 1) for personal enjoyment, and 2) to maybe, maybe, maybe have a source of supplemental income. Over the course of a year or so, I had quite an inventory of finished pieces and signed up for a couple of local craft shows. I bought a pop up canopy, tables, display units. After four shows, I still hadn't broken even with my expenditures and gave up doing shows. My jewelry is online on my Flickr page, but I never get any requests to purchase. I think in order to succeed at a jewelry business, you must have 1) enough cash to have a personal website; 2) a wide network of contacts; 3) great marketing skills. You also have to be in an area where there are folks who appreciate hand beaded items. I still bead every day but don't try to sell my work.

Kostadinka wrote
on Aug 21, 2013 12:55 PM

I started my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/benzaitenbulgaria several months ago because I realize that I want to start my own business all my life but I haven't courage to do it, so now is the best time! I absolutely agree that I must start from somewhere and it is the best step that I did in my profesional life till now...

Kmcaskey wrote
on Aug 22, 2013 3:04 PM

Learning to take great photographs is almost essential is today's marketplace.  Great photos help you on your web, help you market on Facebook and other social media sites and are essential to crack high end art shows.  Jewelry is a very tactile product, so the more you can bring your necklace to the potential purchaser or juror through beautiful photographs, the better off you are.