Beaded Jewelry Design: What's Holding You Back?

May 20, 2012

I have a confession to make: even though I get paid to be creative, write about beads, and come up with new beaded jewelry designs, I'm pretty good at sabotaging my own creative work. There are days when I can find a whole list of excuses to send me away from the beads, even though my fingers are itching to make some new beaded jewelry designs. And I'm sure that I'm not alone! Take a look at some of my favorite reasons not to bead, and see if they look familiar to you:

Addicted to Perfection. I strive for perfection in many areas of my life, but none so much as in my beaded jewelry. That can be both a blessing and a curse. Don't let your desire for perfection give you a reason to not to make your own beaded jewelry designs. Embrace your mistakes. I can't tell you how many times I've made a mistake that actually ended up as a beautiful piece of beaded jewelry!

Fear of Success. This might sound like a stretch, but for some people, it's very real. Some people actually fear success, particularly artistic success, because it means that they might actually be good at something they love. But really, what's the worst that could happen here? (Maybe you might end up getting a piece of your beaded jewelry published in, say, Jewelry Stringing magazine?) Abandon your fears and feed your dreams when it comes to your beaded jewelry designs.

There's Nothing New to Make! This is another one of my favorite excuses for not beading my own jewelry designs! Just when I think I have a great new idea for a beaded jewelry design, it's way too easy for me to talk myself out of actually making the design if I tell myself, "Well, someone else has probably already done this before." Not so. Beaded jewelry designs are only limited by the human imagination (much like the Buddhist sand mandalas I wrote about a few weeks ago!), so let your beads tell you what to do.

My Beadwork Isn't As Good As... One way to set yourself up for failure with your beaded jewelry designs is to compare your work to that of another bead artist, particularly one that you admire. There are plenty of amazing beaded jewelry designs that are being made by artists in obscurity all around the world, including your own! Your original beaded jewelry designs are an expression of your personal experiences, and that has a value all its own!

Are you looking for some inspiration for your beaded jewelry designs? Jewelry Stringing magazine to the rescue! Every issue is packed full of innovative and beautiful jewelry designs for beaded necklaces, bracelets, and earrings. And if you're looking for new product reviews and illustrated beading techniques, they've got you covered. Subscribe to Jewelry Stringing magazine and find out just how far you can go with your beads!

Have you ever gotten stuck with a beaded jewelry design? How did you find a solution to your beading design problem? Leave a comment and share your experiences, tips, and advice with us!

Bead Happy,

Jennifer

Comments

VanessaB@5 wrote
on May 21, 2012 7:48 AM

OMG! It's so me. I sabotage myself all the time. Every time I finish one piece it takes me a minute to move on to the next even though I really want to make the next piece. All the reasons listed above fit me to a tee. However, once I get started and concentrate I can't think of anything else but finishing that piece and moving on to the next.

BarbaraS@181 wrote
on May 21, 2012 8:03 AM

Have had a great loom for beading.  Intimated when it comes to getting it ready for weaving.  But, will go to a course about the loom & hope it works.

nancymac4 wrote
on May 21, 2012 9:22 AM

Backing away from the project when I need a solution seems to work great for me. And then I get these great ideas or something comes across my path that is the answer & works out perfectly.

Also I have to remind myself by saying "it's just a bead" & don't allow it to be bigger than me. Then I have fun.

Cecilia Auld wrote
on May 22, 2012 7:05 AM

Well ladies! I thought that it was just me feeling like that...perfection, perfection...oh how many necklaces I have made only to  undo them because 'there was something not quite right!'....my new attitude, make it anyway  - to the best of your ability - as everyone has different tastes. Many of these designs have been snapped up as ' oh, just what I'm looking for!" My philosophy - if not sold within 3 months - take it down and redo, differently. Lastly, I am feeling so very inspired by ALL of you...other than a wide choice of beads and some wonderful creative help from shop assistants, we don't get as much in the way of beading tips etc here in South Africa - never mind books on beading. Which is why I find Beading Daily so fantastic. When I am feeling a little less motivated, Beading Daily does it for me every time! So much so that Peyote beading looming on the horizon!

KatBlue60 wrote
on May 23, 2012 8:58 PM

I made a Kachinka Goddess beaded embroidery doll and used some leftover deer hide that I had originally purchased to make indian clothes for my grand-daughters Indian doll.  I am now trying to find smaller pieces of very soft leather or faux suede to use on a cuff bracelet bead embroidery design.  Can anyone post where you find these smaller pieces.  All I can find are sold by the yard.  I would appreciate any help you can provide.  And thank you in advance.

KatBlue60 wrote
on May 23, 2012 8:58 PM

baxter6 wrote
on May 26, 2012 10:30 AM

My biggest problem with starting a bead project is my need to finish it before I can do anything else. I delay many of my ideas because I may not have time to finish them right away. I recently finished a necklace that I started several weeks ago, and it was all good. And the finished product was very satisfying, even though it was a lot different from what I started working on. I should remember this every time I have a few minutes to work on something.

Whowalkswho wrote
on May 26, 2012 11:16 AM

I'm kinda a new "B" to beading.  7 months ago I started taking classes. I am having soooo much fun!  I gotta tell you I should be part owner in the bead store I like best. I know just what everyone means when they talk about creating a new piece.  I just don't want to put it down and when I do I can't wait to get back to it.  I love all the things I have made.  Everyone wants to buy my jewelry.  I'm just not ready for that.  I sold one piece and I felt like I had sold the pick of the litter puppy .  That I wanted to keep.  Haha     I love this WEB site.

ali6202 wrote
on May 26, 2012 1:22 PM

Well I guess that's the fun and luxury of being a hobbyest. Beading for relaxation and just for fun equals no pressure. The only thing I'm afraid of is if people pressure me into completing something when I don't have the time.... hence no website lol. One day I'm overflowing with ideas and stay up all night trying to complete them, the next moment I force myself to go to my work table and there's nothing. For me it's all about passion. When a stone calls to me I have to surround it with things that will bring out it's beauty. Other days I'm simply overwhelmed with all that I want to do. I guess too many good intentions manage to collide and then I don't know where to start. All the other things in the article try to find their way into my full time job. Maybe I'm working really hard to protect my personal love, making jewelry just because it feels good.

on May 31, 2012 12:06 PM

Hi, My name is Rhonda

I have worked with beads for a fue years now. I wood like to show you some of my work, but I am not good with this putter. If you can help me uplode a pic. it wood be great. I have some on facebook @ J & J Hobbies.

Rhonda

Email Add. firesafety101j@aol.com

jamesam wrote
on Jan 29, 2013 7:39 AM

For women, these beaded jewelry designs look amazing and its quite looking good with beads, gemstones & long necklace designs gives more fashionable and some are  gemstone jewelry are of handmade i guess.