Free eBook: How to Make Money Selling Your Handmade Beaded Jewelry

Mar 15, 2012

jewelry-business
Have you ever imagined what it would be like to earn money doing something you love, like making beaded jewelry? A home based jewelry business is a great way to bring in extra income, and you don't even need to own a gallery or a shop to sell your handmade jewelry.

I can't speak for everyone, but I know that when I sell my jewelry at craft shows and through galleries, I take great pride in knowing that my jewelry-making skills are appreciated by my customers. I've worked hard to perfect my craft, and so have you!

jewelry-business
So you know that you want to start selling your jewelry or you want to start a home based jewelry business, but you don't know where to begin. You'll need jewelry display ideas and information about how to set up and sell at jewelry craft shows. We've assembled a great collection of basic how-to articles and blogs to get you started selling your handmade beaded jewelry!

• The first thing you need to do is pick a name for your business so that customers can identify you and your handmade jewelry. Michelle Mach had some great advice on naming your business, dealing with customers and setting up at craft shows.
  • You can also market your work to local galleries and shops with the suggestions and tips from Beadwork magazine's Jean Campbell. Seeing your work in-person is a great way to reach customers and make sales! Learn how to approach a gallery or shop owner with your handmade jewelry and how to protect your business interests when you start up a relationship with a local business.
  • Of course, when the economy isn't as good as it can be, you might notice a downtick in sales of handmade jewelry. Denise Peck of Step By Step Wire Jewelry magazine knows how to make the best of any situation when it comes to selling handmade jewelry at craft shows in tough times.
  • Just the thought of preparing for your first craft show can be enough to send you running for cover. Never fear, we have expert information from Vicki Lareau about what to bring and how to pack for your first craft show from her fabulous book, How to Market and Sell Your Handmade Jewelry.
  • Also from Vicki's book are some useful ideas for creating a great booth display for your craft show. Presentation is everything when it comes to making sales at a craft show, and if you want to branch out and expand into new shows and markets, you'll need to have professional-looking jewelry displays to do it.
  • Last but not least, once you have established yourself in the craft show world, you may want to expand your home based jewelry business into the realm of selling online. Read my article about things to think about when choosing your online marketplace before you sign up with an online marketplace.

Selling your handmade jewelry can earn you a little extra income every month, or, with a little work and perseverance, it can turn into a full-time home based jewelry business. I hope our collection of jewelry business articles inspires you to chase your dreams of earning money doing something you love. Download your copy of our free eBook, How to Sell Jewelry: Improve Your Home-Based Jewelry Business with Free Tips for Selling Beaded Jewelry and start selling your handmade beaded jewelry today!

Do you have a tip for someone who is just getting into the business of selling their beaded jewelry? Leave a comment and share your advice here on the Beading Daily blog!

Bead Happy,

Jennifer

Comments

Lacelover@3 wrote
on Mar 16, 2012 5:02 AM

I make jewellery and hats for my living and here's what works for me: use the best materials you can afford, do the best work you can and always put the customer first. Don't do 'cover versions' of other people's designs - look with your own eyes and work with your own hands. Good luck.

Ricki Ayer wrote
on Mar 16, 2012 7:44 AM

Jennifer - I just downloaded the e-book and can't wait to read it.  I have been doing craft shows for 4 years (this is year 5).  I just did one show my first year and was scared half to death the entire time - but I made some sales and ended up having a great time so added more shows each year.  I am always looking for ways to improve my sales, my booth display and my jewelry making skills so this e-book (and so many of the other ideas on this site) is great.  The only advice I can offer is don't be afraid to try and always be open to ideas and suggestions.  At that first show I did, I ran into another vendor - a woman who worked at one of my local bead stores and we got to talking before the show opened.  She generously gave me some wonderful advice on setting up my booth, pricing my items (told me I was pricing things too low), and even helped me re-arrange some displays before the show opened to better showcase some of my items.  While we were "competing' for customers, she was so helpful to me as a first timer and was almost as excited as I was when I made my first sale (her booth was diagonally across from mine and she could see my booth from hers).  I have tried to help other vendors whenever I could to "pay forward" all the help and encouragement she gave me at that first show.  I'll never get rich selling my jewelry - it is more a hobby than a business, and the money I make goes to buying more beads, but I have found that it is something I really enjoy doing.

Ricki

Ayer Baubles

Dli765 wrote
on Mar 17, 2012 12:50 AM

I don't think I would have a good time at a craft show!  If someone made a negative comment, I would be crushed!  LOL  I know my taste isn't the same as everybody else, but still...

Has anyone ever used Esty??

AmyK@53 wrote
on Mar 17, 2012 5:34 AM

I've been selling jewelry at shows for years.  Let me start by saying that I love selling at shows.  I've met some fabulous people, had many good times, and wouldn't trade it for the world.  Also, I won't quit my day job, and expect my jewelry to pay the bills.

Please don't think you're going to set the world on fire at your first show.  Or first year of shows.  Most shows now, be it a local neighborhood craft show or a big juried show are FULL of jewelry.  You should have a great display, a great product and a fantastic attitude, or you're going to be just another jewelry booth.

As far as Etsy goes, this morning there are over 848,000 listings for 'beaded jewelry'.  Again, you have to stand out in a crowd.   With Etsy, you have to promote, promote, promote, and that can be a full time gig too.

Buy great materials, be meticulous in your execution and by all means have fun.  There are few things worse than walking up to a booth at a show, and having the Seller not look up from texting, or her Kindle, or stop talking to her friends long enough to acknowledge their customer.  No wonder they aren't selling anything!

Also, grow a thick skin.  Some customers talk like you're not even there.  My favorite line is, "I could make that!"  Excellent...here's my card, I have ten shows coming up and I could use a little help.  The person usually backs slowly out of the booth and goes away.

We had a lovely women next to us a show last year.  Her work was nice, she was sweet, but she didn't sell a dang thing and at the end of the day was sitting in her husbands truck sobbing because she tanked.  Hey, it happens.  Get over it, move along.  You might come out and have an awesome show one time, but tank at the next one.  Again, it happens.  Practice, practice, practice.

I just have fun.  Where else can you spend a day talking about jewelry and beads and come home with money in your pocket?  (Sometimes not a lot, but still!)  Although I still get a little teary eyed when one of my 'special epic' babies finds a new home, it's very gratifying to see someone try it on and go "Oh. My. Goodness.  I want this now, wrap it up."  Whoot!

AmyK@53 wrote
on Mar 17, 2012 5:48 AM

Wow.  Big post and it got eaten.

My rules after doing shows for 10+ years.

1.  Stand out.  Every show has a million jewelry sellers.  Be different.

2.  This is hard work!  The jewelry making is the easy part.  The hard part is schlepping tables, chairs, tents, displays, containers and all the other stuff that makes a booth into and out of shows. At six am.  In the dark.  And then there's the weather at outdoor events.  That's a whole other post.

3.  Don't expect an awesome show every time.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you're lucky to make expenses back.  Every show is a learning experience.

4.  Everyone is a critic.  Get over it.

5.  Have fun.  Nobody wants to buy from a sour apple.  And put the Kindle and texting device AWAY.  That's just obnoxious.'

6.  Buy sell imported garbage is a way of life.  It isn't cool to be set up next to the person who bought cheap crappy Chinese beaded bracelets for $5 a dozen, and selling the heck out of them for $3 apiece, but it happens (Unless it's a very juried show) Get over it. and be grateful some people know that quality and originality costs money.  (Just don't be the buy-sell person!)

7.  Have fun.  I can't stress that enough.  You're not going to quit your day job after your first show.  I still haven't quit my day job.  But boy do we have FUN!!  Where else can you talk about beads and jewelry all day long?

tielamarie wrote
on Mar 19, 2012 10:03 AM

I make all kinds of jewelry. Never used an e-book before please send instructions if they might be needed.

tielamarie

SueC@76 wrote
on Mar 25, 2012 4:11 AM

Hi, I just downloaded the e-book and can't wait to read it. My sales at The Beaded Pathway have been very slow. I have done some craft shows and some were good, some were so-so.

Going to read the e-book.

Sue