Right-Angle Weave: Triangular Right-Angular Weave

Feb 26, 2012

Back in December, I decided to participate in former Beading Daily online editor Michelle Mach's winter snowflake challenge. Michelle offered kits for sale in her online shop that contained some beautiful handmade porcelain components as well as an assortment of accent beads.

My very tired beady brain had confused Chevron chain (top) with this variation of right-angle weave (known as triangle weave). Can you see the differences in this photo?
Once I had my centerpiece finished, I started stitching my beaded strap, thinking that I was working in Chevron stitch. But it didn't really look like Chevron stitch. The breaks and gaps between each unit made me think that I was working in a different bead-weaving stitch, and It was stiffer than I remembered Chevron stitch to be. After a few more stitches, I realized that I was actually doing something completely different than Chevron stitch!

Now, this realization came around one in the morning, and my eyes were puffy and my brain tired. Once I actually dissected my thread path, I discovered that I was actually working in a variation of right-angle weave that is also known as triangle weave. But as I went to bed that night, all I could think was, "Wow. I've been working in triangular right-angular!"

When I teach right-angle weave, I usually recommend to my students that they use more than one bead for each side of the right-angle weave unit so that they can better see the thread path, and the same applied with triangle weave. For triangle weave, it also helps to use two colors of seed beads, a main color (A) and an accent color (B). Here's a quick tutorial to get you started:

On a comfortable length of thread, pick up 1 B, 2 A, 2 B, 2 A, 2 B, 2 A and 1 B for a total of 12 beads. Pass through all the beads again and form into a triangle shape using your fingers. To add a second unit, pick up 1 B, 2 A, 2 B, 2 A and 1 B for a total of 8 beads. Pass through the last four beads from the first unit and through all the beads just added.

Continue to add units in this manner until you have a chain of the desired length. Keep your tension relatively tight as you work, and shape the units into triangles with your fingers as you work.

If you want to add other rows, you can check out the quick triangle weave tutorial here on Beading Daily. It's really a fast stitch to learn, and if you are already comfortable with the thread path of right-angle weave, you should be able to pick up triangle weave in no time!

Triangle weave is just another example of the versatility of right-angle weave. Instead of using four beads, you're using three beads (or sets of beads, in this case) and stitching them so that the thread enters each new set at a right angle.

Just in case you need any more convincing that right-angle weave is an amazing, adaptable and versatile beadweaving stitch, make sure you check out the April/May issue of Beadwork magazine. You'll find three great right-angle weave projects (including Round and Round, pictured here) that each use a different version of my favorite beading stitch. Better yet, subscribe to Beadwork magazine and you'll get all the inspiration you need to master right-angle weave and all of its wonderful variations!

Do you have a favorite variation of right-angle weave? What is it? Are you interested in learning new variations of this wonderful beading stitch? Leave a comment and share your thoughts here on the Beading Daily blog!

Bead Happy,

Jennifer

P.S. Head on over to our Beading Instructions blog to find a quick and easy tutorial for Chevron chain stitch!

Comments

Diddah wrote
on Feb 27, 2012 5:06 AM

It looks really great..

I created a bracelet and a fingering using what I have called triangle weave, yeah it's like right angle weave also. When you use triangle weave i circles it becomes a little flower..

See it on my blog if you like ;) I also made a tutorial ;) www.bead-ah.blogspot.com

It always amazes me how versatile beading is, that's why I love it so much.

Thanks for this triangle weave tut.. ;)

Love Aimée

on Feb 27, 2012 10:24 AM

I learned right-angle weave some time ago, but haven't done it in quite awhile. I'm not sure I remember how it's done. Could someone give me some clear instructions on how to do it? Also, with my instructor standing beside me, I was able to add another row connected to the first. I know I don't remember how to do that. It makes a beautiful bracelet. Any help out there?

Sandie

twoll5 wrote
on Feb 27, 2012 10:45 AM

My introduction to Triangle Weave was a Beadwordkers Guild (UK) workshop taught by Sylvia Fairhurst, in 2007. (The bracelet instructions have just been published in our latest BWG Journal). In the workshop description it was listed as a variation on RAW. I had not heard of Chevron weave or Triangle weave at that time.

Sometime afterwards, seated upon my "philosophy throne" (usually used for "powdering one's nose") I was happily reflecting on this variation, when I realised that like Jennifer's instructions, my bracelet's triangles had equal length sides. A right angled triangle doesn't have equal sides! An equilateral triangle does but it has 3 30 degree angles ie ACUTE angles. I phoned Sylvia to jokingly inform her that the workshop's description should have been "Acute Angle Weave" or AAW! We had a chuckle together and Sylvia said she liked my name especially the accronym. A few months later I found Diane Fitzgerald's instructions for Triangle weave.

At the time I didn't dwell on the design possibilities of an actual Right Angled Triangle or an Obtuse Angle Weave experiment, but having played with Circular & Spherical Triangle weave in the last 2 years (following a workshop with Valerie Hector). I think I might have a go. I must also have a go with Chevron weave.

Our UK Beadworkers Guild has an international membership, produces four great quality colour Journals/ year, organizes the bi-annual Great British Bead Shows and the British Beading Festivals in the years between the shows. For more information:

www.beadworkersguild.org.uk

Happy beading everyone :-))

on Feb 27, 2012 11:32 AM

Well, I never thought of triangle weave as of a variation of RAW, but there certainly are some similarities. I prefer do create both RAW and triangle weaves with two needle methods, mainly because all beads are only passed twice instead of three times. With two needles, pentangular weaves (to make dodecahedral spheres) and hexagonal weaves are easy, too. I'd rather not confuse them with RAW, though.

on Feb 27, 2012 11:43 AM

I am trying to request the free issue, but there is no button to finalize the request.

on Feb 27, 2012 11:51 AM

I recall my first discovery of triangle weave--a purse made of colorful wood beads from the 1930s in either Germany or Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic).  After figuring out how it was made, I wrote an article for Beadwork which appeared in the Dec. 2000/Jan. 2001 issue, "Whirlling, Blossoming, Sparkling Triangle Weave. (You may view on my website: dianefitzgerald.com.) I have many old books and magazines on beadwork, but I had never seen the technique documented before that. It is such a versatile technique and such a variety of beads can be used. Have fun with this one!

Diane Fitzgerald

on Feb 27, 2012 11:52 AM

P.S.  And don't forget spherical triangle weave!

Diane Fitzgerald

twoll5 wrote
on Feb 27, 2012 2:00 PM

Diane that's the article I read and downloaded. :-)) And spherical Triangle Weave with small oval beads is a doddle!

I'm looking forward to meeting you for one of your workshops at Anitas's Beads in September. Please allow yourself a day to browse the jewellery shops in Brighton's Lanes as well as time to visit the Royal Pavillion :-))

Allison C aka twoll5

on Feb 28, 2012 3:45 AM

Thank you, Dianne! And a very big THANK YOU for making your articles available!