How to Mark Your Place in a Peyote Stitch Pattern Plus a New eMag!

Oct 18, 2011

Last time I was talking to you about peyote-stitch patterns, we were talking about the best way to learn how to read a peyote-stitch pattern. Reading a peyote-stitch pattern can be made so much easier if you have a firm understanding of the basic mechanics of the stitch, including the thread path and why the beads line up the way they do when working in peyote stitch.

Now it's time to talk about all the ways in which we can mark our places when working from a peyote-stitch pattern! If you love working from intricate peyote patterns (or even some of the not-so-intricate patterns), it's important to have a system in place so that you can set your beadwork down and pick it up again and know where you left off. There are a lot of different ways to do this, so let's jump right in.

Sticky Notes. Probably my all-time favorite way of marking my place in a peyote-stitch pattern is to use sticky notes. Back when I worked in nonprofit community development and management, I went to a lot of conferences where they gave out tons of sticky notes. Since my desk at work was literally overflowing with these things, I brought them home and started using them for something much more enjoyable: marking my place in my peyote-stitch patterns! The advantage of using sticky notes is that they are easy to pick up and move along your peyote-stitch pattern, and you can even write yourself little notes to remind yourself where you left off when you stop beading. One disadvantage is that some of them can leave a sticky film on your page or pattern, so you might want to consider putting your pattern inside a plastic sheet protector to prevent it from getting worn out.

Page Protectors. In addition to protecting your peyote-stitch pattern from spills and tears, a plastic page protector can be great for marking your place. Secure your pattern in the page protector with a little bit of tape over the opening at the top (be careful not to get any on the pattern if you want to reuse it) and use a marker to draw a dot on the first bead of each row as you begin. You can also use this to mark your place if you decide to quit mid-row.

Magnet Board. Magnet boards are another great option for marking your place in a peyote-stitch pattern. These are sold in most sewing and craft supply stores and consist of a metal board that comes with a large magnet that fits across the board. As you move through your pattern, you just slide the magnet so that it sits under your current row. Some of these magnet boards also have optional magnifiers attached to the magnetic strips to help you see your pattern easier.

Are you ready for more great tips and techniques for peyote stitch? There's a new eMag available in the Beading Daily Shop just for peyote stitch! Fabulous Peyote Stitch Jewelry with Crystal Accents combines the best of both videos and magazines with watch-and-learn techniques from former Beading Daily online editor  and Swarovski Ambassador Leslie Rogalski along with printable project instructions and resource lists. There are nine sparkling peyote stitch and crystal projects, basic techniques, and even an interactive color wheel from Swarovski! And if you need one more reason to check it out, how about this: since it's a digital download, you can have your content on your desktop or laptop computer in just minutes. Download your copy of Fabulous Peyote Stitch Jewelry with Crystal Accents and get ready to add some serious bling to your peyote stitch projects!

Do you have a favorite method for keeping track of your place in a peyote-stitch pattern? Leave a comment and share it with the readers here on the blog!

Bead Happy,

Jennifer

Comments

Kim@9 wrote
on Oct 19, 2011 7:40 AM

Since I am also a knitter. I use highlighter tape to maker my place on charts and on instructions.

K

Farfella68 wrote
on Oct 19, 2011 8:07 AM

When I am working on a pattern, I always photocopy it. Then I use a sharpie to color on each bead so I always know exactly where I am at in the pattern. Having a copy of the pattern helps because I can just fold it up and take it with me wherever I go.

on Oct 19, 2011 8:09 AM

Where can I find a tutorial/book for the very beginning student?  I want to learn how to create these beautiful items.

Karen

on Oct 19, 2011 10:05 AM

I keep my pattern on a work tray liner and stick my needle in the first bead of each row. If i stop within a row I put a hole there. With very complex patterns I poke a hole in each bead as I add it. The pattern is somewhat destroyed, but I can always print my own patterns again. If the pattern is in a book I make a copy of it.

Capemaynuts wrote
on Oct 19, 2011 10:35 AM

The easiest way I found for following a complicated pattern is to simply photocopy it on my printer and then mark it up with my pencils. Sometimes I might change a color choice and this is the easiest way I've found for keeping it straight. My original stays safe and clean and is readily available for reference, while my copy gets written on with notes to myself as well as any changes I've made in design. Then when I'm done I can throw out the copy or if I've made a change I want to repeat, I can save it with the clean original.

jonsey wrote
on Oct 19, 2011 10:47 AM

Hi, I bought the eMag a couple of days ago and love the instructional videos it comes with.  The only complain I have is that I cannot load to my iPad to take along.

I love the Hummingbirds and Trumpet Vine cuff bracelet by Mary Tafoy you are highlighting.  Does she have a pattern for it or is it in a book?

aj

Choctawkeith wrote
on Oct 19, 2011 11:24 AM

I make a copy of my pattern and draw a line through the row I have completed.

Choctaw Keith

Jennifer Oz wrote
on Oct 19, 2011 7:08 PM

thanks for the tip on using sticky notes! never thought of that i tried it last night and it works really well!

on Oct 23, 2011 7:10 PM

FOR KAREN MICHELS:

Try your local library for Beginner How-Tos.  I borrowed books written by Carol Wilcox Wells & Carole Rodgers and loved them so much I ended up buying them from my bookstore.

Good Luck and hope this helps.

KirstenTrevor

KarenL@77 wrote
on Oct 26, 2011 10:46 AM

Dear Jennifer; The tips for holding your place in a sheet protector are a great one. But as a bead store owner we would like to be mentioned as such when suggesting places to purchase beady items too, not just sewing and craft suppliers! BEAD STORES need your support too! :>) Thanks for all that you blog we just love the ideas and tips! peace, Klew in Tehachapi

KelliRoss wrote
on Feb 17, 2012 7:18 AM

The way I mark my place in peyote patterns is by using a sticky note and cutting corresponding squares into it that match the peyote pattern.  As I move up to the next row, the sticky moves left or right, and stays put until I need to move it again.  I keep my patterns in sheet protectors so I can use the sticky note (and the pattern) over and over again.  If the sticky starts to lose it's affect, I place a small piece of two sided tape on each end.