Peyote Stitch Your Way into 2011

Jan 10, 2011

Kristal Wick
Kristal Wick
is the editor of
Beading Daily
You'll always find peyote stitch in bead weaving. I started out a mere 4 months ago with the simplest even-count flat peyote stitch and have been in love ever since! I've been threatening to learn a different stitch since then, but why not learn all six flat peyote stitches first? I invite you to expand your peyote stitch repertoire along with me.

Ready, set, go!

Even-count flat peyote stitch. String an even number of beads. Remember the first set of beads strung makes up both rows 1 and 2. Although they appear as a straight line of beads now, they will shift to become distinct "up" and "down" beads once you work the next row. To begin working the third row, string 1 bead and pass back through the second-to-last bead strung for rows 1 and 2. Continue stitching across following the basic peyote pattern: "Pick up 1 new bead, skip over a bead of the previous row, and pass through the next." This illustration shows an 8-bead-wide strip with the fourth row partially completed.

Odd-count peyote stitch-traditional turnaround. As the name implies, begin odd-count peyote stitch by stringing an odd number of beads. Remember the first set of beads strung makes up both rows 1 and 2. Work row 3 back across row 2 as before and, when you reach the end, tie a knot with the working and tail threads to secure the first 3 rows. Step up for the next row by passing back through the last bead added for row 3 (see the illustration's blue thread). Complete rows 4 and 5 as usual, but in order to turn around at the end of row 5, loop the thread under previous threads at the end of the beadwork. Step up by passing back through the last bead added for row 5 (see red thread).

Odd-count peyote stitch-square-stitch turnaround. Another type of odd-count turnaround involves a square stitch. In this instance, exit the end of the beadwork by passing down through the edge bead. String 1 new bead (indicated in blue), and work a square stitch.

Two-drop peyote stitch. You aren't limited to working just 1 bead at a time. Try two-drop peyote stitch by using 2 beads in each stitch. When working subsequent rows, treat the 2 beads as one and continue stitching.

Increasing flat peyote stitch. To get ready to work an increase, work a row with 2 beads in each stitch as you did in Figure 4 (and shown with a blue thread and orange beads in Figure 5). Stitch across the row and place 1 bead between each bead of the previous row. The increase beads that split the pair of orange beads in the previous row are indicated in blue.

Decreasing flat peyote stitch. To work a decrease, simply work across the row as before but don't add a bead in 1 or more stitches (see the exposed thread without a blue bead in Figure 6). Pull the thread with tight tension to snug the beadwork and conceal the exposed thread.

With the entire flat peyote stitch family under my belt, I'm ready to try even more bead stitching projects in Beadwork. Join me in welcoming the new year with new beading!

Come bead with me!

Creatively,

Comments

Mary.korbe wrote
on Jan 11, 2011 8:34 AM

I'm also in love with the peyote stitch.  I sit while watching TV and weave away.  The Quick and Easy beadwork bonus looks great but what about those of us who already subscribe?

Mary

nita.jones wrote
on Jan 12, 2011 7:46 AM

I have the same question as Mary. I paid for my subscription back in November 2010 and yet to receive anything :-(. So imagine my disappointment to be sent an email about this awesome feature and customers who sign up now get their 9 bonus projects immediately!

I've spent a lot on downloads from this site, so bonus projects as a new subscriber and loyal customer is fantastic! But PLEASE don't make other loyal customers, including myself, wait longer than those who are only signing up now.

On a positive note, I LOVE this magazine, it's by far my favorite and best value for my $$. Keep the gorgeous projects coming!

Nita

jbogner2 wrote
on Jan 12, 2011 2:04 PM

Nita- the company that mails out our subscriptions takes 6-8 weeks to process them, so you should be receiving your first issue this week or next when the Feb-Mar issue mails.

For both of you- your subscriber copy includes a download code so you'll be able to get this Quick and Easy bonus section download as soon as the issue arrives in the next few days!

Sorry about the lag- we could have waited to start this promotion until the subscriber copies all arrived, but we're so excited about giving all of our current (and future) subscribers 9 extra projects for no additional cost, that we just couldn't wait!

nita.jones wrote
on Jan 12, 2011 5:47 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply. I will sort out the Dec/Jan issue that I'm possibly not getting with customer service. Is there an email address I can write to? I'm in Australia, so calling isn't convenient.

Further feedback regarding current subscribers having to wait until their Feb/March issue arrives in their letter box for the code to download bonus projects -

* It would have been better to email the "code" to subscribers when you sent this announcement out. Or even better have a "Subscribers only" section on the website. This way we can login and download our freebies :-). Note, Bead & Button have this feature on their site.

I'm happy for you to email me at- nita.jones@hotmail.com

Cheers, Nita

Valone wrote
on Mar 9, 2011 10:49 AM

I constructed an even count peyote sample yesterday morning and was wondering how to zip the sample and how to add thread if it runs out before the project has been completed

luvbngrandma wrote
on Jun 13, 2011 12:10 PM

iam looking for peyote stitch for cancer awareness

luvbngrandma@twcny.rr.com